“Great place to stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Wales
“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Have returned from a lovely two stay break at Speech House and we couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more. We arrived when the weather was atrocious but we had a lovely room at the top of the house which had two easy chairs, and just read until the rain went off. The room was clean, I admit I don't go running my finger over the top of doors - life is too short, the bedlinen was crisp, clean cotton and bed was extremely comfortable. The food was good, very tasty, with plenty of choice. All the staff were helpful, friendly and professional.
It would be hard to find anywhere else that matches Speech House for location. There are numerous walks in the Forest right on the doorstep. Also worth knowing, there is an hourly bus service to Gloucester from right outside.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Meirionnydd,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
It was good to read such a complimentary review and to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
I was pleased that the weather turned out well and that you found the location ideal for walking in the Royal Forest. It is especially stunning now the leaf colour is changing.
I have passed on your generous comments to all of our team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Director/Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at The Speech House Hotel on a Living Social deal which included 2 nights B&B, bike hire and packed lunch for 1 day and a bottle of wine with our evening meal.

Everything was absolutely lovely, delicious food, a beautiful room and the perfect location. It was a real treat.

The packed lunch came in very handy for our day trip to Symonds Yat to go climbing, and the bikes we hired were great for a few hours getting lost in the forest!

However, I have to say that the real stars of the show were the staff. Every single person we came into contact with was friendly, helpful and personable. There was a wedding in the hotel on the 2nd night we were there, as well as 2 other large family groups but our service never dropped. 10 out of 10 to all of the team!

2 Thank FloraPink
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear FLora Pink,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you felt our Living Social package offered great value for money and that you both had a great stay in the Speech House.
Thank you also for your very positive and kind comments regarding our dedicated team, and the way that they looked after you both during your stay, especially as we were exceptionally busy.
Glad you enjoyed your climbing at Symonds Yat and that our packed lunch served you both well during your expedition into the wonderful Royal Forest of Dean.
Thank you once again for your kind and positive comments.
We hope you will both return soon to continue your exploration of the area and that you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Director.
Maidenhead
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having read some reviews showing a concern re housekeeping standards I emailed ahead to hopefully prevent any "incidents" re cleanliness of rooms etc; I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by Peter and Gill the owner, and was given the choice of 2 rooms, I decided on room 31, with easy access facilities; on first impression it appeared clean and tidy. Having settled in I had a few concerns regarding the wet room floor as it did look a bit grubby around the sills and corners, there was also a lot of black mold on the tiles around the shower area but I didn't want to make a fuss and upset my mum as she had so been looking forward to this visit; she was born in The Forest of Dean and had not visited for very many years.

To my horror when I showered the next day the floor was indeed filthy, it was difficult to get my feet clean and dry as wherever I stood on the wet floor my feet became dirty again. This was obviously not a blip in housekeeping as Gill had told me the day before, this level of dirt must have built up over several weeks.

I informed the owner by email as I did not want to upset my mum and she apologised and said she would get the floor cleaned and the mold removed "with a tooth brush". Gill had emailed me to say that she had not been able to inspect the room but assured me that it had been cleaned and that she would speak to me before we left the next day.

When we returned that day the wet room floor did look cleaner and some of the mold had been removed but the sills of the floor in the shower area were still black with mold which I was easily able to clean off with my sponge, I subsequently washed the floor over again and threw my sponge away not wanting to cause any more fuss and ruin mum's stay.

When I checked out Gill was around but did not come and speak to me; I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss these problems with her before leaving as I was hoping not to have to leave a negative review.

All this was such a shame as the hotel is lovely and the staff are fantastic, the breakfast was scrumptious and it is in a fabulous setting to visit The Forest of Dean area.

I do so hope the housekeeping problems are soon resolved as they are the only issues which let down this hotel, I would love to have been able to give a good review as I understand how harmful bad reviews can be to a business.

Perhaps the other rooms are OK as they don't have wet rooms, but special attention needs to be paid keeping the floor and tiles of the wet room spotlessly clean as vulnerable guests are more likely to be using this facility.

Please give this hotel a chance and don't let my comments put you off, the staff deserve to keep their jobs, and overall it is a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Courtyard Rooms are easily accessible from the carpark
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fatbird78
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear fatbird78,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am sorry that found the wet room in room 31 not to your standard of cleanliness.
I recall meeting you both together with my wife at reception and that having been shown two rooms that you had to wait whilst room 31 was being serviced as it was your preferred option.
Whilst ultimately the cleanliness of the hotel is of prime importance to us and any failings mean the buck stops with me, I must however mitigate your comments slightly regarding the floor surface.
Room 31 has a wet room instead of a normal bathroom. it not only has the shower, but also includes the wash basin and the toilet. The special waterproof flooring extends over the whole room.This means that whenever a guest uses the facilities they are walking back and forth over the floor in their shoes which inevitably means dirt being transferred to the wet room floor. Following your shower you would be walking over the floor area used to get to the toilet and sink.

The wet room was inspected and serviced again following your email to my wife. It was a shame that you opted to send an email to us rather than pop to reception to see us.
My wife responded to your email as you were out all of the time we were in the office and felt that we needed to contact you to ensure you realised we were acting promptly to ensure your concern was being addressed.
On inspection of the wet room we did note some mild build up of mildew around the lip of the tiling where it met with the specialist flooring. One of our chamber maids did give it an intensive clean using a toothbrush to ensure she got into the grout. As I said the buck stops with me on that issue and I have taken the matter up with our housekeeper..
We were in and around the hotel the following morning and had hoped to speak with you, however we were both extremely busy however had you have asked for us at reception one of us would have made ourselves available to meet with you.
I was pleased to read that you were happy with all other aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your breakfasts.
Also it is good to know that our team looked after you and your mother and were friendly and attentive.
I hope that you together with your mother will return again to the Speech House in the future and that you had a safe journey home.
Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Lovely large twin room in the main house. Friendly & helpful staff made our stay very enjoyable :-) Lovely sculpture walk just across the road through the forest. Afternoon Tea at this hotel was beautifully presented and delicious :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KimPM2013,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay with us at the speech House.
I am delighted to read that you had a great 2 night stay with us and that you found both your accommodation and the service provided by our team to be excellent.
The Sculpture Trail is a fantastic walk and starts from outside the Front door of the hotel.
It is an ideal way to work up an appetite for one of our delicious afternoon cream teas.
I have passed on your very kind comments to our team and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Speech House offers a good value two day cycling break for two that includes two nights B&B accommodation, plus two dinners and one days cycle hire.

The room was comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the location of the hotel is good for accessing the circular 10 mile bike track through the forest, and would be good for the many walks in the area if you stayed longer. The bikes provided were solid trail /mountain bikes that coped well with the somewhat bumpy bike track.

Wifi reception was not good in our room and mobile reception was also poor so perhaps not a good spot if you can't survive without constant communication with the outside world. But, when i needed reliable wifi for an urgent Skype call the manager let me use the hotel conference room as an office and logged me on to the hotel wifi which had a stronger signal than the guest wifi. So, no complaints from me!

I presume that the hotel may get a bit noisier when there's a wedding booking. We avoided Saturday night for this reason and if you're looking for a peaceful weekend break it may be worth checking if there's a wedding on.

Room Tip: The hotel faces onto a road so rooms at he back may be quieter if you're bothered by traffic noi...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Ruffin 55,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read your very positive review and that you felt we had provided good value for money.
I was pleased to read that you found the team to be attentive and friendly throughout your stay.
I am glad I was able to assist with your SKYPE conference call. We have installed signal boosters for the hotel but it does vary in quality depending which provider you are serviced by.
I was also glad to learn that were able to show your husband " a real English Forest"
It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay and I hope you will return in the future to explore the Royal Forest a little more.
Thank you again for your very positive review.
s.w.england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

stayed at the speech house hotel for one night,sunday15th September.We had one of the outside cabins very nice and cosy.The girl on reception was very helpful and although there had been a wedding party the night before and they had been very busy our cabin was ready for us
by 2pm and spotless.Resturant and bar very good staff excellent.Hotel is a few miles out of town but nice and quiet.
Places to visit,working coal mine,steem railway,and littledean jail.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank T.C.22
Dear TC22,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay at the Speech House.
I was pleased to read that you had a great stay and that you found our team to be very helpful and attentive.
I am also glad that we were able to ensure your room was ready and spotless despite as you said having had a very busy wedding the day before.
We are indeed 3 miles out of town at the very heart of the Royal Forest of Dean.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House and once again thanks for leaving a review.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Speech House Hotel for a romantic Saturday evening away. Although the accommodation/bar and surroundings were excellent, we were very disappointed at the dress code of the guests attending the evening meal. I didn't expect everyone to be dressed in evening attire but I would have thought that jeans/rugby shirts would be unacceptable for the venue.. We felt we were having our meal in a transport café rather than a distinguished hotel such as yourselves.

This put a dampner on an otherwise enjoyable trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Nore 2013,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay at the Speech House Hotel.
Firstly I am delighted that you found your accommodation, the bar and surroundings to be to your liking.
You did not mention if you dined in the Orangery or the Verderers Court Restaurant. Our Orangery is extremely informal whilst the main restaurant is slightly more conservative.
We are a country House style operation where we try our best to make our guests feel relaxed and comfortable.
We do have certain attire that is not acceptable in our Verderers Court Restaurant, i.e. shorts and vests, however these days jeans and rugby shirts providing they are clean are perfectly acceptable.
As I said we try to offer a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere within the hotel for our guests.
I am sorry you felt that due to what would appear a guest wearing casual attire was unacceptable and that it appeared to put "a dampener" on your dinner.
I am glad otherwise that you had a pleasant stay and that you were well looked after.
Yours sincerely
Director/Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Wilton Court Hotel
Wilton Court Hotel
#1 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!