“History and location all great”

The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a base to explore - and pleasantly surprised. History of the building and location were all fantastic. Fantastic evening meal - three courses all executed beautifully. Friendly helpful staff. Family room was nice and quiet and no noise issues. Would return.

• Stayed: May 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Shinny 888
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us and that our team looked after your every need.
Glad you all enjoyed your meals and had fun in the Royal Forest.
We look forward to welcoming you back so you can explore even more of the area.
Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Speech House Hotel has an excellent location - right in the Forest of Dean. Walk from the Hotel? Bike? Horse ride? It's all on your doorstep, as are numerous other attractions around the Wye Valley. I am totally biased - this is my favourite place in England.
The hotel has 3 stars. Its 17th Century ex-hunting lodge building is filled with history - whether the Verderers' Restaurant or the tree just opposite allegedly planted by Prince Albert. There are parts where the tiles are cracking, a few bits slightly worn. But the 3 stars mean it is excellent value, so if you want to pay for the 2 extras stars, look elsewhere.
But what makes this hotel so great?
It is rare to find a staff team where everyone is friendly, but here they are. Not only friendly, but helpful and efficient in every way - whatever you want, they'll sort it for you. Nothing too much trouble.
And we were loads of trouble - a huge group, booking at short notice, with a range of requirements. And everything was just sorted for us. No fuss, just a friendly smile, and it was done.
Dogs, noisy energetic chidren - all genuinely welcomed.
Of course the army marches on its stomach, and this army was extremely well fed. The hotel staff had obviously listened closely to what we wanted - it was hard to choose from the menu each night as it all looked so delicious. And when it came, it was even better than expectation - generous portions, cooked to perfection, well presented, and did I mention the large portions?
Would we like cheese afterwards? What price of wine were we looking for? .....
So, for excellent value, top location, fantastic food and lovely staff, this is a great place.

Room Tip: Apparently the four-poster room is beautiful

Dear Mablain,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with your family group.
I was delighted to read that you had a great time and that our team made your stay a memorable one and looked after you all to your satisfaction. I was also pleased that you felt you had excellent value for money.
I have passed on your most generous comments to all of our team.
Yes as you say there is everything that one could wish for in the way of activities or quiet country walks through the Royal Forest and it does indeed begin outside the front door.
It was our pleasure to look after your family gathering and we hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.
I trust that you all arrived home safely and thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

An excellent five day break for our group of 30. All rooms very comfortable, staff extremely friendly and helpful. Good choice of food served in the Verderer's Court (ask Peter to give you a brief history-fascinating). Hotel has walks from the door and lot's of interesting places and beautiful countryside to see. An excellent choice for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Derek F,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your Probus Groups recent stay at the Speech House.
I was delighted to give your group a talk on the Verderers Court and its history, and so glad everyone enjoyed it.
I was also pleased to learn that our team looked after your group well and that you all enjoyed your food during your stay with us.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all our team and we hope to see some of you again in the future.
Hope you all arrived home safely.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wonderful weekend with the extended family at the Speech House.

Although booked at far shorter notice than most of our weekends, we were made very welcome when we arrived and felt completely at home. Our four-poster bed was far more comfortable than most hotel beds and the room was beautifully presented without losing what I assume are the original oak beams. The food was delicious: vast portions, piles of fresh vegetables - even OUR family couldn't finish it all!

The Forest of Dean and the gorgeous weather really made the weekend, though the hotel cannot claim all the credit.

Many thanks - after 20 Family Walking Weekends now, this was one of the best.

1  Thank Nick_of_Finchley
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Nick of Finchley,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your family stay with us recently and that you enjoyed your four poster bed. Indeed the beams are the original ones.
It was good to hear that you all enjoyed your food and I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team.
The Speech House is ideally placed at the centre of many walks and cycle tracks and makes an ideal touring base for the area.
We try to play our part in making visitors experiences good ones and if the sun shines then it is indeed a bonus.
Thanks again for leaving a review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.to the Speech House and hope that you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

we spent the may bank holiday weekend here as part of a large family group. we had two very comfortable rooms between 5 of us. the staff at the hotel were very patient and very dog- and child-friendly. we were made to feel very welcome, despite not being the quietest family group! the food was tasty and plentiful. the area is beautiful for walking. i would definitely recommend the speech house

1  Thank londonmumn2
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear LondonmumN2,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found all of our team to be excellent and attentive. It was our pleasure to make your stay an enjoyable one.
We welcome pets subject to availability and it is as you point out an excellent location with some 253 miles of Royal Forest walking and cycling trails on our doorstep at the heart of the forest.
We hope that you will return in the future and I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team.
I hope you all took fond memories of your stay with us and that you arrived home safely.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was about to write a review of this delightful hotel, when I saw that the Team Leader of our party had beaten me to it. I can support everything BroniaLondon has said, and confirm that the hotel staff exhibited exactly the right mix of friendliness and professionalism, that the food was good and plentiful, that everything was spotless, and that the situation excellent (provided, of course, that you want to be in the middle of nowhere, which is indeed what we wanted).

A couple of small gripes. In common with so many hotels, some of the bathroom fittings showed signs of wear and tear, detracting from the otherwise well-appointed and nicely furnished rooms. And above all, I don’t understand how a hotel with an absolutely first class chef and an amazingly efficient kitchen can produce such totally awful coffee. In six days I did not have a single cup which was drinkable.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room with a very comfortable four-poster bed. The electric fire was very useful...
1  Thank Barry B

Dear Barry B,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us as the Speech House.
I have just responded to "Your Team Leader" and would thank you for endorsing her very kind comments.
I note your comments on "some of the bathroom fittings showing wear and tear" Since purchasing the hotel 3 years ago we have been carrying out a refurbishment programme starting in the main house. I note you were in a Courtyard four poster which have modern bathrooms, and having personally checked them I could not find any major signs of wear and tear however I will keep a close eye on all of them.
Coffee is a very personal taste and I am sorry that our coffee did not meet your expectations. As you will see from previous reviews we receive many compliments on the quality of our coffee and teas.
I am delighted that everything else was to your satisfaction and that you received excellent all round service from our team.
I hope you had a safe journey home and we look forward to your returning to The Speech House in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I found this hotel by chance and in a state of desperation!! - Every year my extended family - (35 of us ranging from 6 months to 87 years old this year) spends the Mayday weekend together somewhere in the UK walking, talking, eating and generally chilling out. I discovered in late February that the hotel we had booked had closed and although they said they were intending to re-open in mid to late April, we couldn't take the chance! Luckily I stumbled across Speech House on the net and even though it was quite close to the dates they were prepared to make provisional reservations for a few days while I got my cousins to make fresh bookings with them. It was just the best luck! The hotel is in a wonderful position - right in the middle of the Forest of Dean with walks and other attractions straight from the door or really close. It has a pleasant garden and orangerie for drinks and snacks. The rooms are very comfortable and with loads of hot water in the baths and showers. The food is very good and the chef happily accommodated our rather bizarre menu requirements. Most of all, the staff were all exceptionally welcoming, helpful and friendly. This is a great place to stay. I am trying to persuade them to move the hotel to another part of the UK so that we can enjoy it all again next year!! Team Leader

Room Tip: I understand that the rooms in the main hotel have already been refurbished and certainly the ones I...
1  Thank BroniaLondon

Dear Bronia London,
I was delighted that we were able to work with you as "Team Leader" to accommodate your family for the May Day weekend.
It is always welcoming to receive feedback and especially such positive comments. I have passed on your review to all of our team.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and all of the food provided by Chef and his brigade together with excellent service from our team.
Yes you are right in pointing out that our location is in the heart of the Royal Forest of Dean, and a great base for visiting local attractions. It is also a great place to relax from the day to day stresses with miles of walks and cycle trails on our doorstep.
I am sorry to say that we are unable to hitch up our wagons and travel around the country but assure you that there will always be a warm welcome for you and your family should you ever contemplate returning to The Speech House.
I hope all of your group/family had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Thank you once again for your very kind comments.
Director/Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#7 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
The Paddocks Hotel
The Paddocks Hotel
#10 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!