“comfortable and friendly hotel in beautiful area”

The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
n2
“comfortable and friendly hotel in beautiful area”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

we spent the may bank holiday weekend here as part of a large family group. we had two very comfortable rooms between 5 of us. the staff at the hotel were very patient and very dog- and child-friendly. we were made to feel very welcome, despite not being the quietest family group! the food was tasty and plentiful. the area is beautiful for walking. i would definitely recommend the speech house

1 Thank londonmumn2
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear LondonmumN2,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found all of our team to be excellent and attentive. It was our pleasure to make your stay an enjoyable one.
We welcome pets subject to availability and it is as you point out an excellent location with some 253 miles of Royal Forest walking and cycling trails on our doorstep at the heart of the forest.
We hope that you will return in the future and I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team.
I hope you all took fond memories of your stay with us and that you arrived home safely.
Director/Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was about to write a review of this delightful hotel, when I saw that the Team Leader of our party had beaten me to it. I can support everything BroniaLondon has said, and confirm that the hotel staff exhibited exactly the right mix of friendliness and professionalism, that the food was good and plentiful, that everything was spotless, and that the situation excellent (provided, of course, that you want to be in the middle of nowhere, which is indeed what we wanted).

A couple of small gripes. In common with so many hotels, some of the bathroom fittings showed signs of wear and tear, detracting from the otherwise well-appointed and nicely furnished rooms. And above all, I don’t understand how a hotel with an absolutely first class chef and an amazingly efficient kitchen can produce such totally awful coffee. In six days I did not have a single cup which was drinkable.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room with a very comfortable four-poster bed. The electric fire was very useful...
1 Thank Barry B
Dear Barry B,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us as the Speech House.
I have just responded to "Your Team Leader" and would thank you for endorsing her very kind comments.
I note your comments on "some of the bathroom fittings showing wear and tear" Since purchasing the hotel 3 years ago we have been carrying out a refurbishment programme starting in the main house. I note you were in a Courtyard four poster which have modern bathrooms, and having personally checked them I could not find any major signs of wear and tear however I will keep a close eye on all of them.
Coffee is a very personal taste and I am sorry that our coffee did not meet your expectations. As you will see from previous reviews we receive many compliments on the quality of our coffee and teas.
I am delighted that everything else was to your satisfaction and that you received excellent all round service from our team.
I hope you had a safe journey home and we look forward to your returning to The Speech House in the future.
London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I found this hotel by chance and in a state of desperation!! - Every year my extended family - (35 of us ranging from 6 months to 87 years old this year) spends the Mayday weekend together somewhere in the UK walking, talking, eating and generally chilling out. I discovered in late February that the hotel we had booked had closed and although they said they were intending to re-open in mid to late April, we couldn't take the chance! Luckily I stumbled across Speech House on the net and even though it was quite close to the dates they were prepared to make provisional reservations for a few days while I got my cousins to make fresh bookings with them. It was just the best luck! The hotel is in a wonderful position - right in the middle of the Forest of Dean with walks and other attractions straight from the door or really close. It has a pleasant garden and orangerie for drinks and snacks. The rooms are very comfortable and with loads of hot water in the baths and showers. The food is very good and the chef happily accommodated our rather bizarre menu requirements. Most of all, the staff were all exceptionally welcoming, helpful and friendly. This is a great place to stay. I am trying to persuade them to move the hotel to another part of the UK so that we can enjoy it all again next year!! Team Leader

Room Tip: I understand that the rooms in the main hotel have already been refurbished and certainly the ones I...
1 Thank BroniaLondon
Dear Bronia London,
I was delighted that we were able to work with you as "Team Leader" to accommodate your family for the May Day weekend.
It is always welcoming to receive feedback and especially such positive comments. I have passed on your review to all of our team.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and all of the food provided by Chef and his brigade together with excellent service from our team.
Yes you are right in pointing out that our location is in the heart of the Royal Forest of Dean, and a great base for visiting local attractions. It is also a great place to relax from the day to day stresses with miles of walks and cycle trails on our doorstep.
I am sorry to say that we are unable to hitch up our wagons and travel around the country but assure you that there will always be a warm welcome for you and your family should you ever contemplate returning to The Speech House.
I hope all of your group/family had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Thank you once again for your very kind comments.
Barmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Easy to find , hotel lovely n clean staff friendly & obliging . Booked 3 cottage rooms, ground floor was nice clean good value. Twin room very basic not much room tiniest portable television, no blind on bathroom window, broken draws, needs a lot of work. Double room average . Awful smell of sewerage that part of the area, quite off putting . The main hotel was lovely clean. Lovely food breakfast & evening meal. Wonderful for a wedding , marquee lovely , lawn & conservatory great. Staff was the best I've seen so obliging nothing too much trouble.

Room Tip: Staying at the hotel is more expensive but I would defiantly do that next time.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nest J,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you found your rooms very clean and good value for money.
I have asked my maintenance man to check out the broken drawer and blind and rectify it.
On the problem of sewage odour, there has been recent work on cleaning out the drains in the immediate area so please accept my apologies.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed the food and found our team provided excellent service
and that you enjoyed the wedding in the marquee.
I hope you will return to the Speech House again and that you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have just returned from an impromtu lunch at the speech house with family. What a lovely lunch we had. We really struggle to find anywhere decent to eat in the forest of dean area, and this place is head and shoulders above the rest. The gardens are pretty and secure for children to play in. The staff are extremely polite and well presented and they all seem very professional too. The food was delicious and fresh and well made. Also the toilets are very clean and, I believe, that if a place takes pride in its toilet facilities it says alot about the establishment. We will definitely be returning and I hope this place continues to strive. I shall be recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Chickstrel,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit to The Speech House Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you and your party had a great experience and meal recently when you had lunch with us.
It is always good to receive feedback from our customers and I have passed on your most generous comments to all our team.
I hope that you meant thrive not strive lol.
We look forward to welcoming you all back.to the Speech House and thank you once again for leaving a review.
yorkshire
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here in the week after Easter. The location is wonderful, right in the middle of the forest with footpaths in all directions. We enjoyed the food- breakfasts, cream teas and evening meals alike. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and were very welcoming to our dogs. we shall stay again.

Room Tip: If you don't have a dog stay in the main house- lovely looking rooms. We had a family roomin the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Nicky R
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the team were very helpful and looked after you all.
Yes indeed there are many pathways and trails through the Royal Forest starting at the front door, and it is ideal for walking with your pets.
Thank you for your comments on the quality of all the meals and we look forward to you returning to us. I have passed them on to all our team.
I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Director/Proprietor.
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I had booked with the Speech house through a deal with more than insurance. Got the first night for free courtesy of more than and we decided to pay for a second. We stayed in the Superior double room- no 10. Room it's self was lovey. Beautiful period feel with beams and a little window. Bed was comfy however, felt like the mattress needed turning over as we woke up in the middle of the bed. The bathroom was a let down sadly. Although spacious-it was cold, and run down. It had an old looking shower head (but worked well and gave good pressure) , a white shower curtain that had stained yellow over time!, cracked floor tiles and toilet base. Could really do with some TLC.
Service of the staff was fantastic nothing was too much.. Even when I took a drink up to the room for a night cap and managed to spill it all over the duvet late ish at night, the staff we more than understanding and changed out duvet with out question or charge.
Food was nice also. Breakfasts we great, the way they should be served. Lots of choice too.
Loved the history of the house and surrounding areas. Would recomend visiting Clearwell mining caves, Tintern Abby and Goodrich castle. So many other things to do, we didn't have enough time for it all.
We had a lovely few days break away from the hussle and bussle. Thank you. :)

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Becki 1,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.
With regard to the Bathroom, when the towel rail is turned on it makes the bathroom very warm and had you mentioned to reception we could have ensured it was checked out for you. The tiles are awaiting replacement but we are having a few difficultires in finding ones that match. I have also asked the Head Housekeeper to check the shower curtain and replace it.
I have passed on your very kind comments regarding the quality of food and the service you received from the team to all concerned.
I was delighted also to read that they responded quickly to assist with changing the duvet after your accident.
Yes the Speech House is full of wonderfull history as is the surrounding area and it is as you point out a great base for touring the Wye Valley.
Thank you once again for taking time to leave a review and we look forward to welcoming you both back to the Speech House in the future.
Proprietor/Director.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,415 reviews
Best Western Royal George Hotel

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!