The Speech House Hotel
Pitchup.com
TripAdvisor
Pitchup.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewscourtyard roomcream teafour postermain buildingverderers courtforest of deanhunting lodgesunday lunchbeefsculpture traillovely locationself serviceposter bedenjoyable stayfamily roomshort breaklovely room
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife & I had a one night stay at the Hotel, we used the Groupon offer and wanted to stay to celebrate my wifes Birthday. This review is not meant to be overly critical or picky but is written as I seen the hotel in general.

Arrival.
We pulled into the Car park at around 2.30pm and made our way to the Reception area, We stood and was quickly seen by a member of staff. The lady was friendly and helpful but missed quite a chunk on information out about the details of our stay. The lady asked if we had a good journey etc and was very friendly. We signed the paperwork and was told where our room is, also asked us if we wanted a table for dinner, and that is we were interested in Ice Skating (currently being offered free to guests staying) we said we wanted to accept this and was great fun, but tiring. A nice addition to a Christmas Stay. No mention was made to the Afternoon Cream Tea that was part of our Groupon deal or when breakfast is served or where to find where it is served. We later asked and was told where, when and all the other details. We also was given our Cream Tea after asking at Reception, although this seemed to take a long time to come out (around 15 minutes) very nice when it did arrive!

The Room - The Negative Bits

Room 32, was a compact room, which was not an issue with a nice double bed and small TV, shower room and tea & Coffee making facilities. First Impressions of the room was ok, looked on first impressions clean and comfortable, the comfort was perfect, warm and bed was very comfortable. However the clean part was not 100% but still was acceptable, perhaps the finer touches was missing. The lamps on the bedside cabinets were filthy with dust, as was the Telephone in the room (see Pic). There was a Sugar Sachet that had been used sat on the radiator, there was a rip in the Duvet cover in the bed (see Pic) also the Sink in the bathroom had a Yellow stain with a scratches in the base, the ceiling in the bathroom was covered with bubbling, peeling paint. The grouting in the shower was mouldy/dirty and could do with a good clean. The TV was very small (seems petty but still worth a mention!)
All these areas were not as such a major negative, but as the title of this review, Improvements that can be made and perhaps small areas missed by the cleaners/Maintenance. Things that I always notice.

The Room - The Positive Bits

The bed was very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep, very quiet in the room bearing in mind how close to the road we were. The shower was a nice powerful shower with plenty of hot water, the suite in general was nice with a nice white finish. Heating in the room (central Heating) was backed up with the addition of an oil filled radiator, good addition for the cold weather! Freeview in the room was good and good reception so we had something to watch. Security bolts on the door gave a reassurance being in an isolated area. NO O2 phone signal in the room we were in but ok in the rest of the Hotel!

The Orangery/Bar (a mix of Positive & Negative)

We chose to have a drink in the Orangery, informal and relaxed atmosphere, although in these areas there was no music in the background (this was switched on much later), just seemed to be no atmosphere in the area. We then decided to have some food, so we decided to sit in the bar area, seemed nice and cosy. We ordered a Gammon and a Ploughmans, food was very good, and have no complaints at all. A1! The food came to a reasonable £30 with 2 Stowford Press and 2 Dissaronno and cokes, not a bad price for the quality of food at all. The service at the bar and the service was of a high standard and the same received at many 5 star establishments. Well done for this! We stayed for one drink after to then head back to our room.

The Breakfast (ALL GREAT!!!)

Wonderful Breakfast, A choice of Fresh Fruit, Yoghurt, cereal, Juices and croissants. We were greeted and offered hot toast and Tea/Coffee, and then offered a Hot Breakfast, this was FANTASTIC, very tasty indeed. Cannot fault this at all this is the crown of the stay at the Speech House Hotel!

Overall Summary
Great Hotel, needs updating and more attention to detail, but perfectly acceptable for a 3 star. The room was great but improvements need to be made, just the small details, the food and service was great and the small details missed again such as some background music in the public bar area a bit earlier. The sleep was great and was very comfortable, the staff very Friendly and helpful but could do with more training and give customers a bit more information upon arrival, such as the Breakfast room/Times etc.

We would without a doubt stay again at the Speech House Hotel, and would like to make sure that the comments I have made were that of my observations of my stay and that the rating out of 10 would be a good 8/10. I have just noted the areas that I feel that could be improved on, If you get a chance STAY HERE!!! Amazing Location and a wonderful Hotel!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room in the main building!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mrwurzal
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Dear Mr Wurzal
Thank you for taking time to leave a response to your stay at the Speech House.
I have checked with the receptionist that checked you in on arrival and have been assured she covered the details concerning thetel timings for meals etc with you.
I apologise for any delay over your receiving your cream tea but as we serve everything freshly prepared it does take a little while to prepare.
I have noted your comments on the dust and the grouting and spoken with housekeeping to ensure they are fully aware. Our housekeeper is presently unwell and off work and we have some new staff in place. They have now been fully trained and hopefully we will have sorted the problem out.
The hotel is situated in the heart of the forest with poor mobile coverage, however we have installed booster dishes to enable excellent reception in the main hotel area, however given the age of the hotel and thickness of walls it is difficult to ensure all round coverage of the networks.
We commenced a major first phase refurbishment on the 5th of January 2012 to the main house bedrooms which will hopefully be completed by mid March.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, slept well and enjoyed the complementory skating.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the near future and showing you the ongoing refurbishment.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed December 22, 2011

We booked for nine they were only prepared for seven.We waited 45mins for our starter,I had the game terrine which was full of grissle and did not eat.It then took over 30mins for the mains to arrive and the only enjoyable part was the turkey.The Xmas pudding was unusual and the custard was like water(tasteless).There did not seem to be anybody in charge of the dining room and nobody came to enquire if everything was allright with our meals,we even had to call a waitress over to beg for some more gravy,on top of this they insisted on full payment in advance.I have enjoyed many family occasions at the Speech House in the past including my daughters wedding,it is a shame standards have dropped.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank mike c
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear Mike from Gloucester,
Thank you for leaving your feedback on The Speech House.
I am sorry to learn that you were not happy with the standard of our food and service on the date in question.
I have searched our records and am unable to find any details of your complaint at the time of your visit.
We would have been able to rectify any complaint you had with your meal and service had you complained at the time.
With regard to the 9 instead of 7 ,numbers frequently change and are not communicated to the hotel for one reason or another, although it may have been the hotel that was at fault in which case I sincerely apologise. As I said had you made your complaints at the time we could have taken steps to recitify any problems.
I hope we were able to lay up the additional places for you without causing you too much inconvienance and that you will at some point return to the hotel so that we can reassure you that the standards have not dropped.
Thank you once again for your feedback which has been passed on to our team for their information.
Yours sincerely
Proprietor

Reviewed December 13, 2011

We have had two fantastic breakfasts at the hotel and seen some of the rooms.
With a little knowledge of the hotel and area we are booking a weekend stay next year in the hotel.
A great friendly hotel! Lovely staff.

Room Tip: All the rooms look great, but the rooms in the hotel add that special touch.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear Mr & Mrs B,
It was a pleasure to meet with you and your family when you first came for breakfast.
Delighted to show you around and to inform you of our refurbishment plans.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and wish you a very happy and healthy 2012.
Thank you for taking tome to leave us your feedback.
Peter & Gill Hands
Directors

Reviewed December 9, 2011

My partner and I recently decided to have a midweek break at the Speech House. My only regret is that we didnt stay longer. I knew the hotel and area from my youth and i was delighted to find it has kept its character and charm. The whole of the staff were very welcoming and friendly throughout. The food was outstanding whether in the Bar or for an evening meal in the resturant Compliments to the Chef! Breakfast was cooked to order meaning it was fresh and also delicious. We stayed in 1 of the 4 poster superior bedrooms which was absoloutley gorgeous cozy (for this time of year) and full of character with the wooden beams and an extremley comfortable bed. We also had a massage each upon our stay which added to our superb break. Cant wait to come back next year, this time with the dog Thank you to all at the Speech House!! All the Best Kirk and Mitzie

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mitzie m
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear Kirk & Mitzie,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay, It is extremely important to us to receive customer feedback.
The team were pleased to hear of your kind comments, and our Head Chef, Brent has passed on your comments to his brigade.
I remember speaking to you both following your forest trail walk and your massage, you both looked so chilled out, which is what short breaks are all about.
We were delighted to hear that you both enjoyed your stay and are intending to return next year with your dog, we look forward to welcoming you back..
May I on behalf of all our team here at the Speech House wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

My wife and I had a very pleasant stay at the Speech House back in October.Cosmeticaly the hotel lacks sparkle but the staff more than make up for that. The food is good and the chef will accommodate any request. Overall a very pleasant stay in a traditional hotel served by very pleasant and professional staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger017
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2011

Dear Roger,
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback on your stay at The Speech House, it is always appreciiated.
As you may be aware my wife & I only purchased the hotel some 18-19 months ago and have had to carry out a lot of repairs to the exterior fabric of the building.
We are now finalising plans to carry out refurbishment of the main house and bedrooms, having recently given the Orangery a makeover.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding Chef and the team, I have passed them on and made them aware.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the future and to show you what further improvements have been acheived. Please contact us direct if you are heading our way again and also visit our web site to see our current offers.
On behalf of the team at The Speech House may we wish you a very merry Christmas.
Yours sincerely