“A great stay in the Forest of Dean”

The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A great stay in the Forest of Dean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

Had a very comfortable overnight stay with a few friends at this very welcoming hotel in the Forest of Dean. We had a very naughty but delicious afternoon tea on arrival set on delicate china and cake stand followed by a superb dinner. We will be back!

Room Tip: Main house is beautiful
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Meredith W
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Meredith,
Thank you for taking time to post a review on your stay with us.
It is always reassuring to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.
It is always good to have a traditional cream tea, as you said "Naughty but nice".
I hope we did not cause to much havoc to your waistlines, but I have passed on your kind comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the very near future.
Please follow us on facebook and contact us direct for our best rates when your next heading our way.
Best wishes and a very merry Christmas from us all here at the Speech House.
The Speech House Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I must admit I was very surprised to see a tripadvisor certificate proudly displayed here! I assume that means it is the best of its type in the area however it really is not that good.

Before I raise some issues I must point out that the staff are very welcoming and friendless and professional however I do feel they could benefit from a visit by the hotel inspector.

Obviously the building itself is beautiful, historic and well located, however internally I don't think they have made the most of it's potential. Arrival from the car park via a rear service area is pretty poor and doesn't give much of a sense of arrival. The walk up the stairs is also very tired with carpet looking very worn however my big problem was really with the room

I don't know whether or not it was because I booked with a third party that I got such a poor room or whether this was typical. The third party website made the hotel sound very luxurious claiming that a double in the main house was £300. Whilst I paid only a third of this, I did feel that was the maximum for the standard of the room. It was quite obvious that the hotel was almost empty being midweek offseason therefore no reason to give me such a poor room?

The room itself was very tired and the bathroom very dated however it felt very dark airless and a little claustrophobic. I appreciate that the building is listed however that does not hinder you from making the most of what you have got. The owners needbto spend considerably to be able to continue charging these rates.

On a positive note however food was very good and therefore the place has great potential.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JKlondon09
Dear JK London,
Thank you for taking time to leave your review, we always appreciate guest's feedback.
I was glad to see that you note the staff were welcoming and professional and looked after you well.
I was also pleased to note that you enjoyed the food you were served and that you acknowledge that the hotel has great potential.
My wife and I purchased the hotel just over 18 months ago and have had to carry out a large amount of repairs to the exterior fabric of the building, thus funnds set aside for the interior were swallowed up quickly.
As you will have noted we had refurbished the Orangery, and we are delighted to announce that we will be carrying out a large amount of refurbishment to the interior and bedrooms commencing in January 2012.
I am concerned that you quoted that a third party was promoting our rooms at £300 per night in the main house. Please be assured we have never promoted or authorised any third party to advertise such a rate. As you will see from our web site we encourage everyone to contact us direct for the best available rates.
The building is listed and steeped in history in stunning surroundings and our aim is to restore it as soon as is possible.
Once again thank you for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the future.
Yours sincerely
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

What a lovely location but sadly lacking atmosphere! We arrived in the bar a little early, but had to prompt the staff for their attention & for the menus! The meal was lovely & we made a point to thank the chef personally, but the dining room lacked any atmosphere on a Saturday night with seemingly only 3 tables taken, we returned to the bar & at 9.15 the ice bucket for the chilled wine was emptied as if the bar was ready to close & we retired to bed before 10pm when if there was any atmosphere at all we would have felt able to party on!!
Think the quality of our room did not reflect the expense, the toilet was difficult to flush and felt very much like an attic room with no view of the forest as describe for most of the rooms (room 11)
These types of rooms should be at a discounted rate in my option !

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Cwilkson
Barkisland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed in this hotel the night before I competed at The Little Woody Half Ironman event. The hotel is situated in a pleasant and quiet location and was very easy to find on the main road into Coleford from Gloucester. Our evening meal was lovely - hearty english food and the service was quick and friendly. We had a room on the courtyard which was great as you could park directly outside the door. However, when we stayed the temperature in the room was rather cold and we weren't able to adjust the radiator to heat up the room. The hotel were very accomodationg with my bike that I needed to compete and they were happy for my bike to stay in the room overnight rather than in the car. Despite the rather chilly room temperature, I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to others, especially if they are competing at the local Ironman event.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard room if you want easy access to your car.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Sally B
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Sally,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us at The Speech House.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your evening meal and found the staff and service helpful and friendly.
We were sorry you had a problem with the heating, but are glad to inform you that we are undertaking a major overhaul and greening of our heating system.
We trust that your event went well and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the near future.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Best wshes
Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here for one Saturday night travelling from Wales back home to attend an event a mile from the hotel.

One of the reasons I chose it was due to its location, the other because it was dog friendly.

The car park is reasonable however the Reception is accessed via "the back door" so to speak.

The hotel is warm and my details were on file.

The bedroom was in the Courtyard with the door opening straight onto the main drag between the car park and the hotel entrance, which I would imagine could be very noisy during an event.

The room was adequate. The carpet below the radiator was wet where there was either a leak or the radiator had been bled.

The two windows opened on to the back of the marquee in use for frequent events. One of these windows had a considerable amount of mould on it, which is to be expected when access to the outside is hindered by undergrowth, but it was clearly visible and should have been spotted and actioned by housekeeping.

The television was tiny with a set top box.

The bathroom was a good size but once again mould was visible in the shower grouting.

The shower had good pressure and temperature, toiletries were provided but the towels were small.

I would have expected a hotel charging these prices to provide bottled water, there was however a hospitality tray, trouser press and hairdryer.

A note, the switch for the main light requires the arms of Twizzle to reach.

A charge was made for the dog £10 however this is not stated on the website.

Something else that was not clearly identified on the website is that WIFI is ONLY available on the ground floor of the main building so, if you were planning to catch up on emails etc in the privacy of your room, you would be sadly disappointed as I was.

I was in the bar alone waiting to be noticed, let alone served whilst no fewer than 3 members of staff were behind it; ;none of whom acknowledged my presence with a "Good evening, I will not be a moment" etc.

The bar menu was ok, and the beef casserole special hot and tasty, the bread and buter pudding could have been used as ballast in a ship however!

The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a very good nights sleep.

Breakfast is a litte disappointing, with the usual cereals, milk, yoghurt, pastries and hot buffet. Shame there were no specials on offer etc.

Would I stay there again? Not at these prices. If it were less expensive yes.

Room Tip: If you in a courtyard room, check to see if it is on the side of the Marquee!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank CamilleWiltshire
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear Camille,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review of the Speech House.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations when you stayed with us.
I have taken the points you have raised and will ensure that housekeeping are informed regarding the window frames.
I would like to point out that there was no event in the marquee during your stay and that whenever one is scheduled we always ensure guests are informed prior to booking. We also use those rooms for people attending the event to minimise any disturbance for other guests.
You are correct in that we have an entrance from the rear car park as well as one at the front of the hotel.
Thank you for pointing out the omission on our web site of the cost for the dog to stay, it is our new site and I will rectify this immeadiatly. The reason for the charge of £10.00 is that we deep clean carpets etc after all pet stays. With regard to your observation regarding wi fi, our web site does clearly state that it is available in all public areas, but we are looking into expanding this service however it is problematic due to being listed and also the layout of the hotel..
I am dissapointed with regard to your service in the bar, this is a most unusual happening as you will see from all of the other reviews that our staff are complimented on their performance. However as a result of your observations we have revisited our customer service training and will hopefully resolve the issue of poor service as happened with you.
On a positive note I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening meal and slept well.
Thank you once again for your feedback, as it helps us to focus on ensuring our guests have a great stay.
Hull, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed here for two nights and dined in the restaurant on the second. My room was comfortable and had character - and was clean and well presented. In the restaurant, the food was excellent at dinner - and the breakfasts were a great start to the day. Service was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful. My only criticism is that the shower lacked punch - but I was in the attic. Excellent value for money and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the attic.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jaguar32s
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Jaguar 32s,
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found everything to your satisfaction.
The hotel was originally built for Charles 2nd as his hunting lodge. The building is listed and therefore there is little we can do to alter the rooms on the 2nd floor, but as you said they are full of character.
We were pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals and I have passed your comments on to the team.
We are sorry that you found the shower was not powerfull enough for you however it appears to have done the job.
We do hope you return in the near future and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best wishes and thanks again for leaving feedback on the Speech House.
Peter

Proprietor
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

We went on the spur of the moment to make the most of the late summer weather and chose to stop in the Forest of Dean. We were warmly welcomed at the hotel by Mr.Hands and his staff.
We had a lovely room in the main building and didn't find it too noisy as traffic started as we awoke!
We were fascinated with the history of the Speech House and enjoyed an excellent evening meal in the delightful Verderer's Court restaurant.
The staff were friendly and helpful at all times and willing to share the history of the Hotel.
We would certainly go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim V
Dear Jim,
Thank you for taking time to leave your review.
All of the team were delighted to know that they made your stay a memorable one and that you found the Historical aspects of the hotel interesting.
Brent our Head Chef was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your meal in the Verderers Court.
It is always good to learn what our customers think and to feed back all comments to our team.
We all look forward to welcoming you both back soon.
Best Wishes,
Peter
Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Glewstone Court
#2 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
De Vere Tortworth Estate
BEST WESTERN Royal George Hotel

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!