“Magical experience had by us all”
Review of Dome Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coleford
Dome Garden
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I do believe, a holiday is what you make it, but the Dome Garden goes along way to providing the best holiday experience. We were astounded by the beauty of the Dome garden and the surrounding area. We went with it already in mind that we would fail to get to grips with fire making and the cooking so planned to eat out, but with a little instruction from Jonny we were soon cooking all our own food including casseroles and roasting potatoes, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of being semi self sufficient. the Dome it's self was very clean and spacious and our 2 yr old was completely buzzed by the swinging bed and spent her first night in one. The shower room was very nice and the water once heated was hot for hours, so the whole family could shower. the seating area and garden space was amazing, comfortable and a safe environment. pizza night was a blast we all enjoyed and agreed that they were probably the best pizza's we have ever tasted. The next morning it was fresh bread all around. My preferred part of the holiday was making the fires, collecting the kindling and feeling like a real hunter gatherer, my 2yr old favourite part was by far making friends with the chickens, sharing her leftovers and collecting her fresh egg in the mornings. Having a get entrance leading straight in to the forest of dean was fabulous and made us all feel part of a well kept secure garden. i am well travelled and enjoy both camping and more luxury based holidays, this has been my most favourite break so far, the only regret i do have is the length i wish we had stayed at least 7 days come rain or shine

Room Tip: any room, i'd say, as long us you light the fires and enjoy the experience.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Well we’ve just got back early from our long weekend ‘glamping’ at the Dome Garden. As a family of complete novice campers we didn’t bank on the June half term weather being newsworthy gales and torrential rain. That certainly had an effect on our moral on the first night – memories of my partner being outside in the pouring rain and gusty winds for two hours to cook us a bowl of pasta each and make a lukewarm cuppa will stick with me for some time. However, we did get used to lighting and keeping a fire to have a decent shower an hour later, and we did get used to lighting another fire to cook, brew a cuppa and yet another fire to keep warm in the Dome. I’m pleased to say that after all the wood-chopping, and there is a lot to be done, the man of our Dome came home with fingers intact (the Dome Garden’s wood-chopper wasn’t so lucky this weekend apparently).

Highlights: our two children (4 and 7) playing outside (once the rain abated) with the other children; egg collecting from the resident chickens; kids on the zip wires and tree swings; the camaraderie on the pizza night; the children climbing into their hanging beds each night and not falling out; finally managing to get a decent fire going; lovely location backing onto the forest; and of course a loo and shower right next to our Dome.

And the not-so-high-lights: not having anywhere to sit inside the Dome to eat when it was pouring with rain outside; the slight fear and paranioa throughout the first night that one of the forest trees behind us would blow down onto our Dome during the gales; cold storage (yes, I may be a wet-behind the ears camper but I took fresh milk which quickly went off when stored the natural way!); and I have to mention the cost – it was a pretty expensive experience which sadly may be a barrier to us trying it once again...

Activities: we went to Dick Whittington farm park which was a little tired and frayed around the edges but had a very good play area. On our dry day we did a 11-mile family trail bike ride from Cannop – a lovely ride, very popular and with lots of routes depending on your ability.

All in all a lovely experience which was slightly dampened, literally, by the weather and the cost.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mags121
Jonny C, Owner at Dome Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Hi Mags

I’m delighted you had fun at the Dome Garden and thank you for your review, which has highlighted a couple of really interesting points.

A guest came up to me the other day and said "I'm really good with fires but I don't think you can boil a kettle in less than half an hour using your rocket stoves."

Well, one thing we do like here is a challenge, so we had a little wager. Under the terms of the bet we were allowed five minutes to get a stove up to heat and then five minutes to boil enough water for three cups of tea or, in my case, hot Ribena!

Now, the big idea here at The Dome Garden is that we use slightly different things to achieve everyday tasks. “Not like it is at home” is my watchword. It helps you to remove yourself from whatever it is you came here to escape. It also helps you relax and somehow extends the apparent time and effectiveness of your holiday. It’s all part of what we originally, somewhat jokingly, referred to as “The Dome Garden Magic” but which we all now know really does exist.

None of this stuff is designed to work “right out of the box” as Steve Jobs would have had it. In this modern world everything has to be so intuitive and we’ve all become rather impatient - we just expect it to work with no input from us.

Well, we take the opposite view. We think there is huge value – on many levels – not least in terms of empowerment - in expanding our horizons and perhaps learning to master a few lost skills. The biggest example of that here is mastering the art and appreciating some of the subtleties of basic fire making. But it can need a little help and it does take a little practise.

So, for you guys, as you describe yourselves “a family of complete novice campers”, it will clearly have been unfamiliar. The very best thing to have done (rather than waiting a month to raise it here) would have been to ask for help at the time.

I am very proud of the staff we have assembled at the Dome Garden. Whoever you come across they are enormously approachable, they are really friendly and they’re absolutely dying to help you. So they could have had you up and running in no time – if only you’d asked.

The other thing you mention is the cost. Now that’s an odd one. We look really carefully at our prices all the time and we compare it with the few sites in the country we consider to be comparable. Although remember there are only three places remotely similar to this in the whole world.

So, I’ve just checked what we charge on a per-head basis. This year you could have stayed here for as little as £18.93 per head per night! I think that is low by anyone’s standards. In fact it wouldn’t even cover the cost of the firewood your husband might have used.

If you are who I think you are, then you actually came for three days during the spring half term – one of the very few peak weeks we have each year when we turn away more people than we actually accommodate. The pressure on those dates is so intense that we allow the prices to rise to the heady heights of £39 per head per night. Now, I still think that is amazingly reasonable. Some might even call it cheap!

If you’d stayed in a small cottage or at the humblest B&B within 20 miles from here you’d have probably paid the same - or more…

But anyway, what happened with the bet? Well, I am happy to say that we were all sitting around the nice warm stove, tea and Ribenas in hand, with 12 seconds still left on the clock!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

My daughter had asked for a camping weekend for her 10th birthday, and after looking on the internet, I discovered the wonderful Dome Garden website. The reality of the 'geodome' tent was even more amazing than I had imagined. Despite icy conditions, and unpredictable April showers, we had the most fun I have had for months, from gathering wood for the fires, to wandering around the magical Forest of Dean that starts at the end of the garden. Everything inside the dome is cool and comfy, and the outdoor 'kitchen' has everything you need. The children adored the 'flying' beds, and the huge bonfire was perfect for roasting marshmellows. My daughter's response to the whole weekend was "that was the best birthday treat I could ever have in my whole life; I want to go there every weekend!"

Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Our whole experience has been first class, from the entertaining website through to one of the best short trips we have ever had. The spacious domes are incredible to live in especially with the wood burning stove, large window on the world, and a big skylight to see the stars. Having 3 fires to play with was SO much fun for the boys and I. The weather wasn't particularly kind but we had a great time none the less with so much fun stuff to do locally. The bike trails are incredible, Puzzlewood was a magical meander, and Clearwell Caves was the perfect answer when it tipped it down all day. The pizza night was a real highlight with the chance to socialise and make your own pizza. I love the different characters of the domes and look forward to returning to try one of the others! For me it delivers everything it claims on the website and more - so chuffed to have discovered this gem in the forest :-)

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you've read other reviews, you'll already know this is a cool place, but not many have mentioned the cost, so I'm going to start there. Yes, if you treat this as a camping holiday it's a lot of money, but the costs are roughly in line with renting a poky Cornish holiday cottage and trust me, you'll have so much more fun here (unless you want to see the sea - that's a fair way off). It's a proper adventure and kids absolutely love it.
We just thought they've got the concept spot on. The domes are genuinely luxurious, but you need to put a bit of effort in to make the most of it - this mainly means keeping the home fires burning so your dome is warm, you have hot water and heat to cook on. It's primitive living for the softies we all know we've become.
And it's such a joyful place to spend time: part Teletubby land, part festival vibe, just a very chilled place. My wife and I thought about coming here without our kids (aged 8 & 7) for a weekend away, but we're so glad we took them: the sense of wonder on their faces when we first got there was just superb and the sense of discovery that never left them for two days was something that’ll stay with them for years. Foraging for dry fire-lighting twigs in the surrounding woods, getting eggs from the chickens and cooking them immediately, seeing a wild boar 30 feet away, watching the stars through the see-through top of the Dome as the wood-burner crackled gently.
Three days of this beats two weeks on a beach hands down for me. It just gets you away from stuff, but lets you keep that element of luxury. There's loads to do nearby, including a superb mountain bike centre, but you could easily just hole up in the garden with a drink and marvel at the design of the domes before making your own pizzas and lobbing them in the pizza oven.
Sorry, I've rambled on for too long, but before we went I baulked at spending this much to go camping. Now I can't think of anything I'd rather spend my money doing.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We read all the rave reviews, but our experience wasn't very favourable. Everything seemed disorganised and haphazard, not at all what we'd been led to believe on the website. To be fair, we went the first week it was open after the winter, and it did actually snow one morning, which didn't help. But our dome had huge holes in it, which when I pointed it out, they stuck some tape over it. Unfortunately they missed a bit, and after one night of torrential rain, the roof had leaked all over my daughter's bed, and her duvet was soaking the next morning. We couldn't get the water very hot either - maybe we are just incompetent - but in any case the bathroom was so glacial that we didn't fancy undressing there! Finally, there seemed a shortage of equipment - mugs, chopping knife, scissors - that sort of thing - we'd have brought our own if we'd known. Pity, as we'd really looked forward to it, but had to leave early - the soaking bed was the last straw.

11  Thank FJ10
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Fantastic weekend glamping in the Dome Garden - part luxury, part camping, with a dash of the Famous Five Go Native. We stayed on the last weekend of March and woke up to frosts but with a huge wood burning stove inside our domes we were warm as toast. In fact the dome is so lovely with views of the stars we spent our evenings there rather than in any of the nearby pubs or restaurants.
You have to like building fires at this time of year (tip: ask for firelighters if you're a novice!) - all part of the attraction - and you really feel you deserve that shower after heating up the boiler yourself!
The domes are situated right in the forest and its many tracks but it's also useful to be fairly near to Coleford for any shopping. Everything is provided for cooking and eating and each dome has a covered decking area with table and chairs. We sat outside even in March - after all, we kept warm by fire stoking, woodpile visits and searching for our champagne corks!
We had 2 domes and the place to ourselves which was lovely - but all agreed it still would be nice to see other domes lit up with neighbours and share Ray Mears tips (and we're not the friendliest of campers!).

It is such a relaxing place and we would love to have taken our kids there before they grew up (they still came and loved it). However I'm already planning my next big birthday there - it's just an amazing place to visit with your friends and family.

Room Tip: We looked at all the domes and none stood out as better. However a new type, partly underground was...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends