“Terrible facilities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coleford
Bracelands Campsite
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Campsite is in nice location however toilet block was disgusting and shower block near us was not in use meaning huge queues at other block in morning.for 48 pounds for pitching a tent for 2 nights I expect cleaner nicer facilities.would not go back unless toilets/showers are improved.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank mattyd1971
There are newer reviews for Bracelands Campsite

Reviewed May 22, 2011

We stayed in the "Christchurch" part of this campsite, a large field with hookups, a couple of toilet blocks and a reasonably well stocked (but expensive) shop and small cafe, obviously recently refurbished.
The main draw for us was the location - a couple of miles from Symonds Yat, near Goodrich castle, the Forest of Dean etc. and ideal for the time we spent there. A number of footpaths are directly accessible from the side into the neighbouring woodland.
The site itself was pleasant enough, and despite my being a little concerned by the "Nuts in May" experience of other posters, was fairly quiet and friendly and we enjoyed 3 good nights' sleep.
Toilets were a little tired and tatty and 2 blocks were closed for refurbishment, so some improvements happening there I guess.
Otherwise a no-frills, basic base for a short break in the area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 1845Amos
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Visited August 2010 in a group of 6 adults of two generations.

Found the reception staff pleasant but anything after that rude and unpleasant.

The campsite itself has the most amazing views.

The facilities were average and were clean at the times the site was quiet. Anything after that, expect grass filled and muddy showers. Although, plenty of hot water.

The non electric pitches were decent, with the possibility of camping anywhere.

The electric hook ups however were cramped and if the site is busy, expect your neighbours to be just that bit too close for comfort.

Be very wary of the speed hills (no other way to describe them, they're defiantly not bumps!) on the wT down to the site, especially on the rain.

They're not well signposted or noticeable and caused the bottom of my car to cone away after hitting the top one on the way down at 15 mph.

Overall, you're paying for the view and not much else.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We spent the week camping at Bracelands and thought it was beautiful.
The Eurocamp tent was clean, well equipped and spacious - not too close to any others and perfect size for 2 adults and 3 children plus all our belongings!
The toilets and showers were cleaned every day and always stocked with soap and toilet rolls etc.
The campsite was busy but nicely quiet too, clean and tidy all the time.
There was no noise whatsoever after 10pm each night.
The walks around the area were stunning and a definate must.
We visited the Butterfly zoo, golf and maze in Symonds Yat and it was a lovely day out and not very expensive either.
We also paid a visit to Clearwell Caves nearby - a worthwhile experience - different and also educational.
On the whole we would definately recommend this site - was also very inexpensive too.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jenkins2011
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I can only reiterate the comments of "LazydaysBerkshire.I too was camping near the rallie field on those dates, and I was also kept awake till 3am,the warden did speak to them to no avail.the following morning the warden appologised for the noise and told me that the group had been asked to leave the site. We have been to this site many times without a problem.these people should not be allowed on any campsite.

P.S We were 20 meters away from the wardens caravan and never once saw thier dogs unleashed.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovingit63
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was very interested to read the review of user "cannieq" who was staying on the rallie field at "Bracelands" on the weekend of 11/12 & 13 June, I to was on Bracelands camp site that weekend in one of the fields backing onto the rallie field.
On the Friday evening there were a few families in the rallie field setting up for the weekend, the group was made up of families and appeared to be a group of well behaved individuals and thought no more of it and got on with enjoying our extended break, we had taken my elderly mother along as she always enjoyed caravan holidays from the time we were children.
That evening was the start of the worst holiday I have ever been on. The group in the rallie field cranked up the music and spent the evening laughing and joking and swearing at the tops of there voices until 01.30 that morning, we let it go as first night high spirits which seems to be the norm in this day and age.
Then Saturday comes along: Weather geat, views great, people in vans around us pleasant and friendly getting on with relaxing and frying bacon, this reminded me of days as a child enjoying the simple things in life.
Then the rest of the group arrived in the rallie field!!!! it then became obvious that somebody had complained about there behavour to the wardens as we could here sarcastic comments about the camp comandant each time a warden was anywhere near, we recieved an apology (along with the other units around us) from the site warden for any noise the previous night. That afternoon we expected more noise than you would usualy get as England were playing in the world cup and we were able to turn off our radio and listen to the one in the rallie field, you could also listen to it in the toilet block and the field at the back of the site where people go to walk there dogs. Luckily I enjoy the footy and wanted to listen to the game, shame about the elderly couple nearby who had to beat a retreat in the car for the afternoon.
The next incident worried me greatly, somebody in the group let off what appeared to be a home made chinese lantern, this rose slowly and seemed to hang right over my awning, there was lots of flames from this device and the canopy appered to be held on to a sardine can with four pieces of string, I complained to the warden who went streight into the field and spoke to the leader of the group about the dangers of these devices and asked them not to do it again, he was reasonable in his approach but was verbally abused and mocked by many of the group who stated it was not them.
That evening the noise was totaly unbearble and went on into the early hours, we heard the wardens asking the group to stop the noise, we could here him explaining how he had given them a little grace with the site rules but now it was getting unfair to other holiday makers, again he recieved lots of verbal abuse from the males and females and more worryingly from the children in the group (who by the way were not tucked up in bed). The noise continued past 02.00.
Unknown to me at 02.30 my mother went out and approached the group and asked them politely if they would mind stoping the noise as she wanted to get some sleep, she was greeted by jeers and told "what do you expect when you book in a group of thirty people and you should not have taken there money if you wanted them to be quiet" my mother explained to them that she was a paying camper like them and nothing to do with the management to which she received more abuse from the men, to be fair the lady with the hystericaly high pitched laugh did try to explain to the males that this was another camper but they were unable to understand in there drunken stupor. Then there was more chinese lanterns let off by the group.
The following morning they slowly packed up, one of them shouted at nobody in particular "Good by happy campers".
I did complain to forest holidays (head office) and they did respond to my letter with appolgies.
In closing I would like to state that this group ruined our trip and that of many others we talked to on the Sunday and that I could not believe the review that "cannieQ" posted on this site, there behavour was out of order, and dangerous, they formed a group and posed as a rallie in the belief that they should be allowed to behave how they wanted.
I feel most sorry for the staff at these sites who have to put up with that sort of behavour on sites all over this country. My only criticism of Forest Holidays is that they do not take large deposits that will only be given back on completion of a peacefull stay.
It was nearly 03.00 before the noise abated enough to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank lazydaysBerkshire
Reviewed June 13, 2010

On arriving on Friday myself, husband and two children aged 8 and 4 we were very pleased at how pretty the site was including the surrounding area and were very much looking forward to an enjoyable weekend relaxing and walking with friends. We were placed in the Rallie field as on the Saturday other friends were arriving to visit an under 12 children’s football tournament, so we were happy to all go in together as the field was kept empty for this occasion. It was explained to us that there was to be no campfires used on site although BBQs were fine as long as they were off the floor and to our friends who had a small dog that the dog was to be kept on a lead at all times.

After being at the site for an hour my daughter 8 needed the toilet so I said I would watch her, she walked past the caravan that I can only assume to be the permanent residence of the onsite warden and his wife, two grey whippet type dogs ran directly towards her and jumped up at her actually scratching her face. These dogs were not on leads. My daughter was extremely distressed and ran back to me crying, for this we did not even receive an apology even though the warden and his wife who owned the dogs witnessed the whole episode.

Later that evening our friends put a heat log on to their BBQ which stands off the floor, we all were under the impression that this would be fine as it was not a fire. The 4 adults, myself included were sat chatting happily as the children had gone to bed only to be rudely disturbed by the wardens wife. Her exact words to us on approach and in a very loud and aggressive manner were "and I know I told you no campfires, as I booked you in" we did try and explain what it was we were doing but quite honestly we could not get a word in. The woman had no intention of listening and demanded that we put it out straight away and keep the noise down, she said she would not leave until the fire was out and if the noise continued we would be removed from the site. I straight away went to the tent, collected some water and poured it over the heat log. We all were very annoyed at the way we had been spoken to, but let it go and went to bed as we were looking forward to meeting our friends the next day and did not want our holiday that we had paid for cut short.

The following morning the warden himself came to talk to us, and explained in a pleasant manner that the rule was no naked flames, heat logs included and actually listened when we told him we had misunderstood, it was not a problem and we would not use heat logs or any naked flames I’m sure he realised that his wife had gone too far the night before as he was extremely helpful and friendly. Later that morning the families arrived who were staying at the site for the football tournament. We even joked with them about how we were spoken to the evening before to the point we felt like we were back at school. Later that day in about three different positions around the campsite people were setting off Chinese lanterns, within a few minutes the warden and his wife had come into the rallie field to tell us we were not to let them off, some members of the group actually laughed as this was not us and in the time his wife was shouting we watched another six take off. Once again people tried to say this to the wardens wife and once again they were shouted at. We were then told at 10.30pm that a no noise policy was in place from 11pm and if we were loud they would call the police and have us forcibly removed. This again was unbelievable as we were not loud and it was at least half an hour before the policy comes into place.

The following morning the warden drove a large vehicle into the rallie field which in itself was dangerous to the small children playing and told everyone that due to our behaviour the evening before we would not be allowed back to Bracelands and he wanted us off site by 10am, and if we did not leave by 10am he would call the police. At 9.45am the police arrived and drove into the top of the field. The warden marched over to them and spoke to them through the window of the police car. The police could see that there was no mess at all, and that all families were packing up. They did not speak to us or even get out of the car, but I do believe I could hear them telling the warden he had wasted police time, they left within 5 minutes. I feel you should be made aware of how poor the customer service is on site and I believe a basic lesson in manners is most certainly needed for the wardens wife. I am also feel it a great shame that what is a pretty site is greatly let down by the staff. No members of the group will be visiting this site again not due to the fact that we have been officially 'banned' but as reasonable family people we refuse to be spoken to in that manner by a couple who so obviously should not be working in the leisure industry.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
9  Thank cannieq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lydney
The Lodge Rooms
The Lodge Rooms
#10 of 11 in Coleford

Been to Bracelands Campsite? Share your experiences!