The Angel Hotel(Coleford)
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
The Lodge Rooms(Coleford)
All reviewsgolf coursegolf clubgolf weekendpro shopcoach partyround of golfbowling greenbowls clubgolf societyforest of deanthree coursescoach tripchristmas lunchwalk in showerself servicethe cottagescleaning staff
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Me and my husband stayed her as we were attending a function. The room we stayed in had a lovely view of the golf course and the sun set. The check-in was pleasant and efficient with friendly staff. The bar and restaurant area was very nice and obviously recently revamped, with a old English golf club feel with a modern twist. On the function site there was a separate room with large screen TV and pool table, then you walk through to the separate bar and restaurant area. We found a good selection of drinks, including cocktails. The food we had was far better than we expected, especially as we attending a function of 90+ guests being catered for. It was of a higher standard that we have experienced at some 5* hotels we've stayed at. My Beef Wellington was fantastic and a great bottle of Malbec only costing £15.95! Overall we would highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the Forest of Dean area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
BellsHotelManagement, General Manager at Bells Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

I am grateful that you have taken the time to leave a few comments on your recent experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed both your stay in the Hotel and your function with us. We have a lot of experience with catering for large groups of people at one time and so we often receive praise from guests, it will however be extremely pleasing for our team of chefs to know that they have been compared to a 5* Hotel. We hope that you do not leave it too long before visiting us again.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We were in Coleford for gym comp and booked Sunday Carvery for 5 adults and 3 children. Most of the adults had 3 courses and the children 2. Great value for money no complaints from us and lovely staff especially the dark haired barman who was great fun and very good at his job!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience in our restaurant. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and the entertainment! We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed with you on Easter Sunday, we thought the hotel staff and pro shop were excellent people to deal with but unfortunately we didn't feel the same way about bar and catering staff. Our lunch was not what we ordered and when commented was not dealt with in a proper manner I.e as if we were making a complaint unnecessarily. Our evening meal was also not as we ordered but the staff didn't seem to care. In a more positive note, we would come back for the golf course in excellent condition but we all feel something needs to be done about catering staff. I think next time we will just visit the local pub for our food

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for leaving a review of your stay with us. I am pleased that you found the Hotel and Shop staff so helpful but I was disappointed to read about your experience in our bar/restaurant. This is not typical of Bells Hotel and we will be investigating how this was allowed to happen. We are often complimented on how friendly our staff are. I hope that you will visit us again in the future and allow us the opportunity to alter your opinion of us.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have just returned from a 1 night/2 rounds of golf stay at the Bells hotel and overall my party and I were happy with the stay. Firstly the value is incredible. Everything from the rooms, to the golf course, to the restaurant/club house is better than you would expect. The course is in good condition. The clubhouse/restaurant was really nice inside with a nice sun terrace overlooking the bowling green. The evening meal we had was nice and better than equivalent meals I've had on similar breaks. The rooms were basic but adequate. The shower was excellent however. My only major gripe was it was strictly prohibited to store golf clubs in the room so we had to leave them in the car which isn't ideal as it is a magnet for thieves although I can't imagine Coleford being plagued by high levels of crime! Overall we all agreed we would go back again which is probably the best endorsement we could give.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank J11K11

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased that you recognised the great value that we offer here. I am also happy to hear that the restaurant and golf course were to your liking. I am sorry that you were disappointed that we do not allow clubs to be stored in bedrooms. This is due to mess that a dirty or wet golf bag can make. We do however have 2 secure locker rooms on site which are a better option that leaving your clubs in your car overnight, even if Coleford is not the crime capital of the South West!
We will look forward to welcoming your group back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Spent the night as part of a golfing deal.
Bedrooms are clean and tidy and beds were very good.
It wasn't the Ritz but it was perfect for what we wanted
Clubhouse was nice and the breakfast was good

Would happily stay again

Very reasonable and helpful staff

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your golf break with us. The course should only improve as the season goes on. We hope to welcome you back sometime in the future.