All reviewsgolf coursegolf clubgolf weekendpro shopcoach partyround of golfbowling greenbowls clubgolf societyforest of deanthree coursescoach tripchristmas lunchwalk in showerself servicethe cottagescleaning staff
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We booked to stay at this hotel, the receptionist was nice and told us the room we was staying in. The room was clean and on the table there was some drinks and snacks for us to have. The beds were quite comfortable to sleep on. They was a good amount of facilities to wash. In the morning we went over to the bar/restaurant to have our breakfast, the breakfast was ok I had sausage, bacon , fried bread and eggs, little disappointing there was no hash browns left but overall good fried breakfast. There was a lot of doors to get through to the room which made it a little difficult to find your room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
BellsHotelManagement, General Manager at Bells Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

I am grateful to you for leaving a review of your stray with us. I am pleased that the Reception team gave you a nice greeting and that the Hotel was to your liking. If you are in the area in the future, I hope that you would stay with us again.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

A group of six, we recently stayed in the three Edenwall Cottages at Bells Hotel for a weekend's golf. Our check-in at the hotel was easy and we were warmly welcomed by the Reception staff. The cottages were very comfortable and well-equipped and we all appreciated the welcoming bottles of wine. On two evenings we prepared our own meals; the facilities in the cottages were more than adequate for our needs. Our one disappointment was the evening meal which we ate on our first night. The menu was somewhat uninspired and the quality of the food served very ordinary. After a morning's travelling and then an afternoon on the golf course, we were all looking forward to an appetizing dinner; sadly, this was not the case.
Overall, a very enjoyable weekend and one which we are already considering repeating next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave some comments about your golf trip. I am happy to hear that you liked the Cottage which is situated on our golf course. It provides a great alternative for those who like to cater for themselves. I am sorry to hear that your meal with us was not to your liking, we change our restaurant menu on a daily basis and so other options would have been available the following night if nothing took your fancy on the first night.

We hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The rooms were fine, I couldn't get the TV to work, but it wasn't something I was bothered by.
Plenty of hot water for a shower, tea making facilities in room and a comfortable bed. Lots of doors to get through between reception and the room, which could get tricky when you're loaded down with kit, but again, not really a problem. The bar was fine, it would definitely benefit from adding another beer and lager to give a bit more choice. Plenty of comfortable seating, and a relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant was quiet, the menu options were quite narrow, however the food was quite acceptable and we were both happy with the dining experience. The bar lunch was fine, nothing special, but again quite acceptable. Breakfast, quite a few options on the menu to suit all tastes. Strangely the toast was serve yourself using an automatic toaster, no problem with that, but the toast was delivered black, some call that burnt, where I come from we call that bu**ered. So to the golf course, well, on day one we had torrential rain so delayed our T time, this worked well as we understand that this course isn't one of the fast drainers. We still managed 16 holes in the fading daylight and had the course to ourselves which was great. Day two, we had a 09:30 T booked, but delayed our start to 09:50 as a Seniors competition was going out from about 08:00 until 09:40. We did go and look at the tenth tee but so did everyone else and it was no longer an option when the first Seniors match appeared on the ninth green. We waited about 10 minutes on the first tee, and tee'd off when we could no longer see signs of activity in front of us. Luckily my drive found the fairway, it's a blind T shot and I'd driven past the 4 ball match who were all hiding in the trees looking for balls. We followed the 4 ball to the fourth by which time they clearly had lost contact with the group in front, but obviously didn't care. We waved a two ball behind us through, hoping they might get a chance to play through. On the sixth we waved a 1 ball through and again on the eighth. The two 1 balls dropped out after the ninth and on the eleventh we were queued up behind the 2 ball we'd originally let through on the fourth. Having played 16 holes in under 3 hours on day one we found the 5 hours to play on day 2 a bit excessive, we figured there must have been at least a house as a side bet on the 4 ball match. The course itself is very playable, of moderate length with no nasty surprises, and no horror holes. Perfect for a relaxing golf break, where you can flatter your ability. The only downside I found was the number of 'blind' shots you need to play. Too often really I found that I needed to walk 100 yards to check is was OK to play on, particularly I suppose due to the excessively slow play up front. The 2 ball we'd let through on the 4th. kindly offered us to T off with them on the 17th. but as there was only one to go we figured we could play half a dozen balls to fill the waiting time, Top tip, check you're not going out behind the Seniors when you play on a Thursday, another tip for the Seniors, if you have a hole, ( or three), clear in front of you it's OK to let someone play through, really, it won't hurt.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Speedking

Thank you for leaving your comments regarding your golf break. I am pleased that the Hotel and food was to your liking. I am sorry that you experienced problems with your television set. If this was mentioned to Reception they would have instructed the maintenance team to fix it straight away.

The greenkeeping team will also be happy to read your positive comments about the golf course. We hope to welcome you and your group back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I would like to thank the hotel manager and staff for an excellent 2 week break at bells hotel and Forest of Dean golf club! We actually stayed in the 3 bedroom cottage which is situated on the golf course. The cottage was nice and clean and also had a large area outside for the children to run around! We used the facility's the hotel has to offer including the clubhouse and restaurant which did a very good selection of food and a lovely Sunday carvary! The hotel and cottages are a short 5 minute walk apart but in this lovely area we enjoyed the walk. This is the place to stay if you need to be in the best area for a stay in the Forest of Dean which has so much to offer! I would like to finish by saying that the on site plumber who lives in the cottages is a very nice lad and the children enjoyed playing with his two dogs lolly and pippa who do not as previously mentioned roam the grounds off the lead! Thanks and we will be returning soon!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
BellsHotelManagement, General Manager at Bells Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to leave such a pleasant review of your stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed both the Cottage itself and the Clubhouse offerings. We look forward to welcoming you and family back in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

For a cheap break and a fun golf course this is perfect. I would stay away from the restaurant however next time as the meal had a remarkable resemblance to a poor inflight meal! The staff were all lovely and extremely helpful. Great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased to hear that you had great value for money during your stay with us. I am also happy to hear that you had so much fun on our golf course. The greenkeepers have worked very hard on it this year and there are many more improvements scheduled for this winter. You may also be pleased to hear that we have recently launched a new menu and the initial feedback is very good