“Disappointing”

Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Droitwich
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a team while playing an event in Worcestershire. When you first drive in to the hotel the grounds are beautiful with miniature ponies and other animals in the fields. The main part of the hotel - the Chateau is a lovely building - we booked in and were given these enormous keys to our room. Our rooms were in the annex building and were set around a sort of indoor courtyard area with tables and chairs outside and our room looked out onto this. The most disappointing thing for me was to see carpet in the bathroom ! This should have been changed years ago - I havent seen that for as long as I can remember in a hotel. There were also stains on the carpet and I didnt feel comfortable walking on it. I felt the rooms could be a bit bigger as well as there was hardly any space to move around the bed. As others have said it all seemed very tired. I am sure when it is all refurbished eventually it will be an unusual place to stay - especially being able to walk around the grounds.

We all went over for dinner in the restaurant in the evening and they were very efficient and accommodating with my special diet (gluten free) and the carvery was very good - vegetables nice and fresh.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank WokingMary
Ben E, Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Chateau Impney. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the unique setting of the property and the accommodating service from our staff in the dining room. Rest assured we are as anxious as you to bring all areas of the property up to date including the bathrooms, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Came across by chance had had long drive ,rather tired parked in impressive entrance to look on Trip Advisor what was around ,this Hotel had a good deal rest history . It is very good we had the carveray £15.95 for three courses the Beef was rare and excellent House wine very reasonable
Good Breakfast

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney. We pride ourselves on providing the best carvery and breakfast in the area which is great value for money, and we are delighted you found us!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked a refurbished room via Late Rooms. On arrival we were allocated a room and immediately went to the room. We were horrified to find that it was not a refurbished room but a very tired and outdated room. It reminded us of an old fashioned seaside guest house. The hot water disappeared whilst running a bath and generally the room (700), we felt, should not have been in use at all. The hotel reduced the cost by £45 but it completely ruined the stay. At present there are only 10 refurbished rooms. We did look at one and it was fabulous. This did rub salt into the wound.

Room Tip: Insist that you book a refurbished room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 1610JB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Chateau Impney. I do not know what happened with your booking in terms of being allocated the wrong room type but rest assured I have addressed it to ensure it does not happen again. Please accept my sincere apologies for the mistake and for your less than perfect stay with us.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went here just recently and enjoyed a delicious afternoon tea, This hotel has had a chequered past but at the moment it has new ownership and it is back on the "up ".We looked at the restaurant and this still remains in the past,so we will avoid it for now and return when the refurb has hit the dining room.
The tea came with a tea bag and hot water, which needs some attention! but the cakes and sandwiches were served in the new bar area by very pleasant staff and well worth a peek, even if only to keep an eye on how the refurb is going.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kate616275

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit for afternoon tea at the Chateau. Thank you for your feedback on the tea service, which we are in the process of making improvements to. There are plans underway to include the dining room in the refurbishment programme and I am sure you will be delighted with the end result!

Please keep an eye on our website for all the latest on the renovations and special offers.
Thank you again for sharing your feedback,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I were part of a party of 28 who had booked 14 rooms to stay after a wedding. The rooms had been booked by the groom's mother who over several months had made 3 visits to make sure everything was up to standard, the last visit being last Monday. I had read previous reviews about the unrefurbished rooms so was prepared to put up with them for one night if necessary but my friend phoned and told be the rooms they had been shown were excellent and she was quite excited about staying at the Chateau. We booked into our room in the afternoon and were told the fee would be £95. Our room was in need of complete refurbishment. The carpet was threadbare and the room was painted bright pink along with the bathroom. The view though was wonderful. I made no comment to my friend as I knew she had been thrilled with her tour of the rooms on Monday and did not want to upset her on her son's wedding day. We got back the the hotel about 1 am and my friend had arranged for the bar to be open so we could all have a nightcap and discuss the gorgeous wedding. However the time was spent complaining about the state of the rooms we had all been given .My friend felt very embarrassed although we re-assured her it was not her fault but she maintained that she had be assured that 12 of the rooms she had booked would be the refurbished rooms and if fact only one of our party had a new room. One of our party had arrived on the Friday and seen a group of guests complaining about their rooms so be think they may have been moved to the rooms that were booked for us!

We asked for a meeting with the manager in the morning who was sympathetic and apologised but wished to check with the staff who had made the bookings. He did offer us a reduction down to £80 which we refused and we finally agreed that £55 was a fair price for the room and breakfast. He has promised to contact my friend later this week.

The problem as I see it is that whilst upgrading is going on the hotel is still expecting its guests to pay the same price for an un-refurbished room as for a new room. This is not fair. The hotel needs to be open with its guests and offer the old rooms at a reduced price until the refurbishment is complete.

The Chateau is a wonderful building and has been an icon in the area so there is alot of goodwill about. Hopefully it will be a successful hotel in the long term but until the refurbishment is complete they should be fair to their guests.

On a positve note the staff were efficient and friendly and the breakfast was excellent with plenty of staff and the buffet being regularly topped up.

If you are going to stay there make sure you know what type of room you are getting and if you are happy with one of the old rooms make sure you get a discount.

Room Tip: Ask for a re-furbished room or negotiate down to £55 for an old room!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Janine W
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Chateau and eaten there many times over the years. Yes, the rooms were rather dated, but this added to the charm and originality. And the TV only having 3 channels didn't bother us at all. Who wants to sit in front of the television all the time when they go away in any case? More importantly, it was affordable, at £59 per room, and gave us the opportunity to relax away from reality and enjoy the magnificent surroundings. Well, now that the Chateau has been sold and the rooms have been massively refurbished, all of you who criticised the old-fashioned rooms before have finally got what you wanted. Modern and luxurious. I hope you will also be happy that the prices have more than doubled to pay for all this.....the £59 room is now £130. My husband and I will continue to eat there, as the service from the team of mainly East-European staff remains exemplary and second to none. I fear, however, that the only people able to afford to stay there in the future will be those attending business functions, and those driving Rolls Royces and Bentleys etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I reviewed the Impney 6 months ago and was less than impressed. I was back again recently and they really are trying their best to improve the hotel bit by bit. I stayed in room 600 which is in the refurbished part of the main building. The bedrooms have been completely revamped, new bathrooms installed, in fact everything's been replaced.It looks like they are trying to keep the character of the building intact which is no bad thing, Theres still some way to go but the hotel has a beautiful exterior and impressive grounds so hopefully the revamp will be successful.the conference venue is ideal for exhibitions with easy access and good amenities.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbished room, all of the 2nd floor rooms have been done, rooms 600 - 620...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Ben E, Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your recent review of Chateau Impney. We were really pleased to hear your feedback on the renovations and work around the property.

Thank you again for choosing the Chateau for your stay in the Droitwich area and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Revenue Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport on Severn
Worcester Whitehouse Hotel

Been to Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre? Share your experiences!