“Impney Court”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Droitwich
Preston, United Kingdom
“Impney Court”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed in the annexe wing of Chateau Impney last night (25th April) and must admit I was a bit trepidatious after reading some of the reviews but I was really pleasantly surprised. I booked it quite frankly because of both the price (so you have to expect what you pay for to an extent) and the fact that I stay in both Holiday Inns and Hiltons all the time and whilst their bedrooms are generally good, their service on the whole is pretty terrible.

The room I had was recently touched up with fresh paint and a new bathroom floor apparently, both of which looked fine to me. The bed was comfortable, room was clean and spacious and the TV worked with all of the channels being available (a rarity in UK hotels these days).

I ate in the carvery restaurant and whilst it is a bit old fashioned I left full, satisfied and as I said earlier, I went to bed really pleasantly surprised. Breakfast in the morning was great, service again was impeccable and the place has loads of free parking, again an increasing rarity in UK hotels.

I don't generally go for writing reviews but I think Chateau Impney has received some genuinely unfair reviews, especially about the rooms I stayed in. They were absolutely fine and you can definitely see that they are slowly refurbishing this place which must be a challenge in and of itself due to the size of the place.

In any event, I'll certainly use Chateau Impney again when I'm in the area and would encourage anybody else who is looking for good service at a very reasonable price to do the same.

Room Tip: I got my room for £55 but the new refurbished ones in the old house (which is amazing) were slightly...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ben E, Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Chateau Impney. We are delighted that you appreciated the service our team provided and that your stay was both comfortable and good value for money.

Bringing a property of this size and local importance back to its original grandeur does take time, but we are committed to doing so whilst providing impeccable service and value for money.

Thank you again for choosing the Chateau for your stay in the Droitwich area and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon – with or without your wife!

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Chateau and were impressed by both the refurbishment currently taking place and the attentive pleasant staff. We were shown and offered an upgrade to a newly finished part of building which was nicely decorated and comfortable. Good sleep quality followed by a hearty breakfast made our stay most enjoyable.
Give it a try!

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms, the staff are very helpful
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Chateau Impney. Several members of our team have worked here for many years and are understandably very excited to share the changes that are being made to this beautiful building.

It is nice to hear that our guests are enjoying the newly renovated rooms and attentive service provided by our staff, and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife again soon.

Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I took Mum for lunch a few weeks ago. It is mostly a Carvery but good value considering the surroundings. Situated in beautiful grounds I had not been there for years but it was certainly worth it - plenty of meat and vegetables, all piping hot and served for you - you only had to go and say what you wanted and it was all served to the plate - plenty of sauces or you could have salad if you preferred. Beautiful white, crisp tablecloths and nicely laid out with good service from the waiting staff. If you didn't want carvery then you could have fish or another choice from the regular menu. Too full for sweets but coffee can be served separately in the lounge bar after your meal. All in all a very good experience for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ben E, Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the carvery at Chateau Impney. It is always so nice to hear from our guests that they appreciate the quality and value our carvery offers, all in the beautiful surroundings of the Chateau and the parkland.

As always, our staff pride themselves on their attentive service and will be very happy to hear your comments.

We do hope you will treat your Mum to lunch again at the carvery very soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed there for only one night on business-the place looks impressive from the outside but that is where the 'impressive' stops!!
The room we stayed in was in an annex about 25 metres from the main hotel-it is one of the worst rooms I have stayed in. The room is situated below ground level and has no external windows or natural light. The carpet was full of dirty stains and I did not feel comfortable walking on it. The room smelt very musty and had an old plug in air freshener to mask the unpleasant smell. The furniture is tired and dated and the shower trickled water from a dirty showerhead. We did voice or concerns to the receptionist who said the hotel was being slowly refurbished....but not soon enough!!

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a room in Impney Court which is the annex
2 Thank carolanne2504

Travelers are raving about these Droitwich hotels

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Manicured grounds and impressive entrance drives raise expectations of the splendour of this hotel and the entrance, foyer, bar and public rooms serve to encourage the illusion. My accommodation was, however, extremely disappointing.

Travelling on my own, the single room I got on the first floor was pokey and dog-eared with the "en-suite" bathroom even worse. It was a cupboard - or certainly no bigger than a cupboard and with a dismal green bathroom suite, dating from the1960's with chipped enamel bath, a washbasin hidden behind the door and a WC, so tightly wedged twixt wall and bath, it was almost impossible to use in the sedentary position! The TV didn’t work properly and the paint-peeled, single glazed sash window had an uninspiring outlook over a large, unkempt flat roof.

In the 21st Century, companies really shouldn't be offering such poor quality accommodation in this type of establishment. True the hotel, recently under new ownership, is on a refurbishment programme and my room has yet to be tackled. But this being the case, is it too much to ask the management be upfront with their guests and tell them the room is substandard? They could then offer them either an incentive to stay or alternative and more civilised accommodation elsewhere. I was at a conference and no alternative was available, so my short stay was miserable and I couldn't wait to get away.

The majority of staff do not have English as their first language, but they are mostly pleasant and cooperative, once you managed to make them understand what was needed. But there seems to be a lack of leadership or rigorous management.

The dining facilities are awful. The dining room is in the basement with no windows and therefore no outlook. It's like eating down a mine! The buffet breakfast isn’t too bad, but service is slow and replenishment of hot food buffet is sporadic at best. But dinner is poor with just a fixed menu, so once you've chosen fish one time and carvery next, you're stuck as you've exhausted most of the choices. The strawberry cheesecake I ordered for desert became lemon cheesecake on delivery!

I have a dislike of carveries anyway, finding the meat is generally overcooked and vegetables limp and tasteless. My opinion remains unchanged since my Chateau Impney experience. Reminds me a bit of my old school dinners long ago!.

Much room for improvement on most fronts and I shan’t be looking to renew my acquaintance with Chateau Impney anytime soon, but I wish the new owners much luck in their endeavours.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a refurbished room and eat out.
4 Thank Lancerlot
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Attended a function here and stayed over night. The hotel has been looking 'tired' for the last few ears however, the new owners are beginning a real and much needed transformation. Excellent food and reasonably priced House Wines and bright bed rooms with very comfy beds and outlooks across the parkland. Well done all.

Room Tip: ask for one of the re-furbished rooms
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review of Chateau Impney. We are delighted that you enjoyed everything from our new rooms, to the quality of our food and new wine list. We are very proud to finally bring the long awaited transformation so needed to this amazing building and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Do not overlook this hotel!! It's brilliant!! The staff are lovely! Really helpful! Nothing is too much trouble. Ask for extra tea bags and you get loads!!! Gluten free? Vegetarian? Dairy free? They'll help out. We stayed in a beautiful room (602) dual aspect. Redecorated.
Don't overlook the undecorated rooms!!! Never forget that history isn't just 100 years ago, it also includes the '70s! If you are lucky enough to go and stay in either the undecorated apartments or visit the basement bar you can pretend you are in an episode of Life on Mars! Picture flares, no seat belts, smoking in the office, three channels on telly and your parents at a Christmas do in long dress ( mum) and purple frilly edged shirt with velvet trousers ( dad ). Time stood still and is well worth some attention before they redecorate and it's lost forever....

Room Tip: Pick rooms 'Fleurs de Lyles' or 'Concorde' or ask for one that's been redecorate...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JosieA432
Ben E, Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of Chateau Impney. Our staff will be absolutely thrilled to see your kind comments on their service and attitude and we are excited to hear feedback on the newly renovated rooms from our first customers enjoying them!

We really enjoyed your take on the retro qualities still in existence at the Chateau –sadly they will be disappearing as the renovations move throughout the entire building, but what we hope will emerge is the true splendour of the Chateau as she was imagined by John Corbett who built her back in 1873. Rest assured however, we will be preserving her 70’s era in photographs in our archives.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
#3 of 4 in Droitwich
Hogarths Stone Manor
Holiday Inn Express Droitwich M5, Jct 5
Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel

Been to Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre? Share your experiences!