“After so Many Years”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Droitwich
Esher, United Kingdom
“After so Many Years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

When living in the Midlands I passed the hotel on many occaisions and thought what a wonderful building and must stay there sometime. Well 28 years later and now livivng in Surrey I had occaision to stay the weekend at the Chateu. My partner was a little dubious following reading some of the reviews but I insisted that we give it a try.

The hotel, without a doubt, is a magnificent building with a beautiful main staircase leading to the upper floors. We were given a room with 4 poster bed which in the end was too soft for my partner and so the staff kindly moved us to another room grand room. Yes the bathrooms are dated but functional.

The hotel is going through a refurbishment at the time of our stay and we just happen to be a nosey pair and had a look at the work being undertaken. All I can say is I can't wait to stay in one of those refubished rooms - If I can afford it.

Staff couldn't do enough for us - Thankyou.

Tony Colledge

Room Tip: Aske for a refurbished room on the first floor in the main house
1 Thank TC1010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Bromsgrove, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stunning building and grounds and we found the interior quirky and fun. It does need a lot of money spending on it but for sheer atmosphere we loved it. Staff are friendly and helpful, service is good, only took breakfast but it was very good. Rooms are where the money needs to be spent as they are old fashioned which is fine, but a little tired. Bathroom was seventies avocado but clean and fully functioning. Common areas are a litle old fashioned too but we didnt mind, the sheet atmosphere of the place carries it along. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mitel007
Ben E, Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Chateau Impney. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the grandeur of the Chateau and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay in one of our newly renovated rooms very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

my wife and I stayed in the chateau for a short break. it is a beautiful place to go although the rooms could do with up dating but to be fair they are doing the 2nd floor first. the food was outstanding both dinner and breakfast was very very tasty in a beautiful restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your short break at Chateau Impney. We are delighted you enjoyed our dining and restaurant. We are in the midst of renovating rooms and look forward to welcoming you back for another short break again very soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

As you drive up the long driveway, through green fields and pleasant landscape you are able to gaze on a beautiful building that you feel privileged to be able to say you are staying in.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and I had a good selection of places to park so once checked in I strolled up the grand staircase to find my room.

As a did so I began to take in the overall atmosphere and also assess the decor and fixtures and fittings and then my heart began to sink a little because I realised I was now starting to think the majesty try of the building was giving way to a feeling of tired and run down!

The bedroom was very dated with an adequate not opulent bathroom! The bed ok but everything around me was run down. I then began to think the room rate wasn't the best value I'd ever experienced!

I went downstairs to the bar and here was a grand piano, leather Chesterfield settees and high back chairs and for a moment I thought "not bad". Then I realised my eyes were being drawn to an untidy and shabby bar area. I noticed things needed cleaning like the bar top and spirit bottles needed dusting and so did much of the bar and seating area. Sat down with my expensive drink I then began to feel uncomfortable as the place feel like Steptoe and Sons sitting room!!!

Breakfast was a buffet style and it was good. Plenty of it and all served hot and fresh.

As a I left I thought to myself:

What a charming hotel in beautiful grounds, I wish they would spend so e money on it!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Chateau Impney from your stay last September. You will be delighted to hear that our new owners are spending money on this beautiful property to bring it back to the majestic old lady she used to be.

We do hope you will visit us again to see this transformation taking place.

Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Have been going to the Chateau for many many years but last evening could possibly be our last. The food as always was very good but the atmophere - or lack of it really was too much to bear. The restaurant is by no means intimate as you have many many energy saving light bulbs burning brightly - you really do need sunglasses. Last evening for the first time there was a candle on the table but you couldn't appreciate it due to the main lighting. The music that was playing sounded like someone warming up on a violin and the staff looked totally fed up. In all the years we have frequented the Chateau the service has been impeccable but most definately not now. I found them intimidating and formidable.

I understand the hotel/restaurant is under new management. The new owners have an enormous job on their hands reforming it back to what it was or updating it to give it that little je ne sais quoi. The little touches that were associated with the Chateau have disappeared into obvlivion - you now have a flat screen TV in the lounge, no-one on the door or cloakroom and it is understaffed. You would get more of an atmosphere and more staff at a Wetherspoons.

From the outside the building is magnificent, prepare to be disappointed.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Chateau Impney. I was saddened to read that your experience was disappointing compared to your previous visits and apologise for the less than impeccable service you received. Thank you for sharing feedback which we will be addressing with all our staff and managers.

Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Warning bell #1 should have rung when we were told we had to pay up front in full for our Valentine dinner, bed and breakfast and that this was totally non-refundable. Warning bell #2 definitely rang when we found the note in our room warning us that there was a "mini crime wave" and we should keep valuables with us at all times or leave them behind reception. A class establishment, then!

the public spaces are lovely in this hotel although some are quite dated. The rooms are totally uninhabitable. Ours was tiny, with Seventies decor (yes, it was clean) and freezing because of the single glazing. The walls were paper thin, a fact of which the deeply in-love couple in the room next door seemed blissfully unaware, so a decent night's sleep was out of the question.

The meal made me think that the hotel was confused between "Valentine couples" and "a bus full of pensioners" - decent quality food, but very much of the meat & 2 veg variety, served uninspiringly on lumpy school canteen plates. Breakfast was also decent enough food, served in a depressing dungeon.

When we checked out the receptionist asked if we'd found everything to be OK and when we explained not, just told us that they were in the process of refurbishing and this would fix the decor, undersized rooms and non-existent sound insulation. Well that's lovely for the management, I'm sure, but as a customer I'd rather they waited until after they'd fixed these (rather significant) issues before having the nerve to charge us a couple of hundred quid. If you know how awful a room is, why are you renting it out?

Truly - don't stay there, don't eat there, just enjoy it from the outside and drive on.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
3 Thank mikki_hache
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We were greatly saddened by your review. We would like to opportunity to speak with you directly about your feedback. You can reach me at gm@chateau-impney.com or 01905 774411.

Ben Elder

Travelers are raving about these Droitwich hotels

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Agree with previous reviews - the exterior of the building is fantastic. The evening meal was ok but overpriced. The full English breakfast was good. The lift is old and has a quirky charm.We had room 703 and had no noise issues, the room and linen were clean but fittings were so outdated it was funny. The entrance is spoiled by out of date certificates and photographs tastelessly displayed. We stupidly went on Valentines night and realise we paid double the normal rate for a double room for B&B. Glad to know there is renovation work happening, the building deserves it but having builders traipse in and out the main entrance carrying plasterboard through didn't enhance the ambience.

Room Tip: seems top floor is best - wish we'd read other reviews as some good rooms suggested
1 Thank Cath R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback of your visit to Chateau Impney. We are happy to hear that your room was clean and quiet, and that you can see that we are investing in upgrading the property and the rooms. Alas, we cannot do this without the help of our builders, but we are working hard to minimise the impact during the current renovations. Like all hotels, our pricing does change based on special events and Valentines is a particularly popular date for hotel stays.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will visit us again very soon.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport on Severn
The Crown by Marston's Inns

Been to Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre? Share your experiences!