“Poor service folloed by poor food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Droitwich
The Crown and Sandys
Ranked #2 of 5 Droitwich B&B and Inns
Yorkshire
“Poor service folloed by poor food”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

It is with regret that I write this review, I have been visiting this hotel for over 12 years, and I have seen the various managers / owners come and go.
However we have now seen a step change downwards in terms of hotel performance. Two aspects, service and the quality of the food.

Sevice, I had booked room 2, a superior room 2 weeks before I travelled, I checked the morning before I arrived just to make sure everything was OK as i knew I would arrive late.

I duly arrived at 20:30PM only to be told Room 2 was not available and I had been regulated to room 5. No real explanation just that is was occupied, i remonstarted but there is not much you can do at that time of night. No real apology, no offer to put me in another superior room which I later found out was unoccupied. Basically crap service all round.
then to dinner, I orderd the tri of fish, as this place was famous for its fish quality.

The only description I can give it was crap, over cooked fish with a cream sauce that was just basically cream served with a salad! Yes good combination, not a side salad all on the same plate. I didn't complain as basically i was just too tired and I needed sleep.

So overall a poor performance which wasn't helped when the bill came, still the same price no reduction for a lower class of room. One to avoid I am afarid, the Hadley Bowling Green down the road gives much better value and service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Copper9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
midlands uk
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Late decision on where to go for a Sunday meal out for my husbands birthday on 2nd March. Note to self to stop dithering, and book earlier. Wanted a lazy later in day Sunday roast dinner rather than a lunch time appointment.
Very pleased indeed with service and quality of food. We were engaged in conversation with our company, so I cannot comment on the surroundings with great detail but I thought the ambiance, decor, and atmosphere were very good
All four of us ordered roast dinners, and skipped starters in favour of a main and dessert on the Sunday and even me as a fussy pretend foody cook was very happy with the quality, taste, and presentation of the food. Plentiful food, and the veg served with meal was well sufficient.
Desserts were excellent! Very impressed indeed.
Will definitely return and recommend to others with confidence

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Stourport
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Met up with old school friends for lunch. The bar was empty when we arrived but it was early. By the time we had ordered our food it was filling up rapidly. The staff were very accommodating even when I changed my mind half way through ordering. The food when it arrived was piping hot and beautifully presented. We had all chosen fish but in different forms and we all agreed it was delicious. We all decided on sweets which were equally delicious and death to our diets! Some of the coffees were cold when delivered but were swiftly changed for new hot cups. A malfunction on the hotplate was the culprit. This did not detract from what was a very pleasant experience and we will be returning in May for another catch-up.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
shaftesbury
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I was greeted by friendly hosts was given the key to a lovely room, very clean and fresh linen. There was a hairdryer in the room, the tv was in the right place, lots of mirrors all at the right height. I was a housekeeper many years ago for THF so look for all key areas that they are well kept and in order. I thought this was excellent value for money. The breakfast was very good. The menu however needs to up its game to attract a wider clientele and I think the managers are strangled by the Brewery's menu, if only they could do a 'free flair' type menu where they could engage more adventurous cooking rather than just the boring pub food style menu then this place would meet all tastes not just the 'pie and mash' needs. Finding a more refined menu was really hard on their existing menu almost non existant and I would have loved to have had something without chips with it. However the puds were to die for and I could have eaten them all. Overall a mostly enjoyable welcoming stay and I would go again should I be in that area. They are about to refurbish so I am keen to see this and see if the menu has been up graded? Thank you to all the staff who work so hard for their guests, they truly are wonderful people!

Room Tip: no tips to add. Its all good.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The pub has been tastefully decorated and has a high quality finish. I had a spacious, comfortable room (room 4) which featured exposed stripped floorboards.

Sadly the walls are so thin that noise from the bar downstairs and the adjoining room is very audible. Service from staff was very attentive. My stay was completed with a huge fry up to send me on my way after a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Stayed February 2014
Worcester
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had the most wonderful wedding reception at the Crown and Sandys in Sept 2013. Erica, James and all of the staff were fabulous and could not do enough for us in the run up to the big day and on the day itself. The food was amazing and they were very flexible. We were blessed with a beautiful day which meant we could spill out onto the garden, it was the perfect setting for us. The bridal suite was a complete surprise, an amazing room with a huge bed, huge bath and separate double shower, what a treat. We cannot thank the team enough there and look forward to visiting them again very soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had not visited this pub since it reopened but decided to try it last Friday. It has a cosy ambience with a roaring fire in one dining area where we were seated. Service was very efficient and the January menu of 2 courses and a bottle of wine for £30 was competitively priced. We chose from this menu and the food was delicious, well prepared and came promptly. My sundae was odd as it appeared in an ordinary pudding bowl and just seemed to be piece of brownie in a chocolate sauce with a dollop of cream and ice cream but it was very tasty indeed. Based on this visit we would definitely go again. The menu is comprehensive, the service slick and the whole experience pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HungryFamily_22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
#4 of 11 in Worcester
Brockencote Hall Hotel
Brockencote Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett

Been to The Crown and Sandys? Share your experiences!