“Unbelievably poor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Droitwich
The Crown and Sandys
Ranked #3 of 5 Droitwich B&B and Inns
Ombersley, United Kingdom
“Unbelievably poor”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Went to the Crown and Sandys to celebrate our wedding anniversary on Saturday night. We had a table in a room with no atmosphere that was cold and characterless with stained white chairs and very plain walls (where are all of the pictures?). We chose from the specials menu (at £18 for a main we expected something good) and were surprised at the speed of the food arriving. However, the Belly Pork and accompaniments were only warm and sauce congealed. The skin was rubbery and inedible. After sitting and waiting for about 10 minutes to summons the waiter (there were only 3 tables being used in the room yet he did not see us) I sent it back. By this time my wife had almost finished her meal so I decided that I did not want anything else. The waiter returned and said that the chef had apologised and that the Manager had taken it off the bill! I stated that I would have expected the Manager to come and see us but were told that she had said there was nothing she could do about it. We reluctantly paid the bill and got ready to leave. On the way out we went to the loo and I met another Manager in the bar. I told him what had happened but we did not feel he was really bothered. He offered us a free glass of champagne but by this time it was too late. He said the right things but not with real feeling. We will not be returning to a place that was very special to us previously. There are many other establishments locally that treat us with respect as paying customers. The Crown and Sandys need to train managers and staff in customer service and not treat us like cattle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank customervalue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Went to Crown and Sandys on 19 May 2012. Place crowded and nice atmosphere. Whilst having a drink before being seated waitress spilt two glasses of wine by us which went over trousers and up legs. No apology was forthcoming. Waitress young, no very efficient and no personality. On being seated no menus were forthcoming and we had to ask for some. On being served food, we were not asked if food was okay. My husbands steak (he asked for medium rare) was rare and had to go back, but new steak was very nice. We all enjoyed our food but need to do something about waitresses, either change them or give them more training. I have been a waitress myself several years back so know what I am talking about. Would go again for food and hope better service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela M
birmingham uk
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I've visited twice in a week once with a business colleague it was a Friday and was pretty much full, lots of chat ambiance was very good, we only had a burger but it was a quality not mass produced with nice salad garnish and chunky fries, for 7.50. Excellent quality.
Today we went and again it was busy, nice to see and I think the value 2 courses for 12, is drawing in some customers but it gave the place some life. Again the meal was good simple food, well cooked excellently presented, and supplied with a smile and although busy a little chat. Well done, deserves a visit.

Stayed April 2012
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We ate lunch at the Crown and Sandys today for the first time since its takeover. Have to say that whilst the food was of good pub standard, it was no more than that. The character seems to have been removed, which is a shame , as the bar area was always such a delight to eat in. Staff pleasant enough but no evident manager to create any ambience.The presentation of the menu isn't in keeping with what the restaurant is trying to achieve. Wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: Didn't stay
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BCAles
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My review of the 5th September seems to have disappeared!:"Nice room, Nice Surroundings, Obnoxious member of staff"......................

I was taken aback when I realised that our 4 yr old daughter would not be dining with us but in a side room with all the other under 10's in the wedding party, I was equally taken aback when I was told I had not ordered the food I clearly remember ordering for my daughter but would basically have to take mash instead of the chips she loves- the management of this joint showed a refreshing combination of arrogance and bravado that is fortunately lacking in the majority of successful wedding venues.

I was equally told that the room we had booked for the night would not be available as early as we had clearly been told on the phone (and we must have misheard) so we had to fight to get access to our room to get dressed up for the church "do" after having driven 250 miles to get there....

The old adage of never trust a thin chef should be extended to accommodate business managers in this case....

Apart from the "children should be seen and not heard" stance adopted for my brother-in-laws wedding the venue was pretty damn good.

Accommodation: Check your room before you buy, look out the window for a flat roof with an extractor fan, that will deliver you the smell of chipfat.. and keep away from the function rooms if you want a quiet night .. or preferably stay down the road at the Ombersley B&B [--] not cheap but beautifully decorated and a family feel lacking at the C&S

My tip..... get it in writing, print it off, take it with you........

Room Tip: Check proximity to extractors from kitchen and function rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Dr_J_C_Bullas
high wycombe
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I booked an overnight stay on 27th Dec '11 and was really pleasantly surprised. It was affordable, the staff were pleasant, the rooms were clean and really exceeded my expectation. Lots of lovely little touches: Neutrogena products in the bathroom, complimentary ear-plugs etc etc. The food was a bit average, but it filled me up, so it did its job. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place as an alternative to the local hotel chains.

Room Tip: The room I had on the ground floor was quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim B
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2011

On my visit to the crown last week I was politely greeted by a girl at the bar but it was downhill from there. The food and table service was excellent but the manager was rude, abrupt, arrogant and very very unprofessional. He spoke to the staff with no respect. When leaving the pub he barely acknowledged us and I had a very strong smell of cigarettes! I will return but won't be our first choice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank A S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Droitwich M5, Jct 5
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport on Severn

Been to The Crown and Sandys? Share your experiences!