“Rubbish Hotel and Unsafe”
Review of Hill House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dereham
Hill House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dereham
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute due to my usual place that I stay in being fully booked. I was given ground floor room 25 round the back in the courtyard. The room was very small with no windows. It had a toilet and sink but there was no shared bathroom or shower to be found within the block where the room is located. The extractor fan in the toilet did not work. The bed was second hand and must have belonged to a young child as there were children's stickers on the end of the bed. The door to the room was a fire door but had a fire broke out in the corridoor right outside the room, then I would have had no means of escape and would have been trapped. How this would pass a health and safety inspection is beyond me. The stairs leading to the top floor had not seen a hoover for some time so the carpet was filthy. The pillow case had stains and hair on it so I suspect it had not been washed so had to use my own towel as a pillow case.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL AND DO NOT TRUST THE PICTURES OF THE ROOMS. THE COMPANY THAT RUN THIS SO CALLED HOTEL ARE CON ARTISTS. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RUN A BUSINESS.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Richard T

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotelchain (MJB) have chosen for economizing on staff to pay the bill for gas. Central heating blazing and no way to moderate the temperature except open the windows and add to "global warming". On arrival the 6-digit key to enter my room didn't work. My GSM can't send emails (as they suggest). What else? Making a telephone call? Nobody answers, all hide behind answerphones. (Leave your message, we'll get back to you). Member of staff who was painting? a totally rotten front door finally gave me the code that opens ALL doors (which was good as it enabled me to get towels from another room when there were non in my room! Welcome to Dereham! Room is clean (yes: CLEAN). Sheet over mattress is clean but not pressed so only LOOKS as if somebody slept on it before. Ensuite spic and span. I had not booked for breakfast. 3 points of attention: Appoint one caring person to approach this hotel as if he were a guest. Get the ludicrous temperature down. Get the system with the doorlocks sorted out and make sure the guest does get the RIGHT number even if booked 2 months ahead. Clean up the entrance hall and carpets on the stairs. First impression, and all that! The way it is now being run doesn't work as nobody cares!

With a bid of TLC this formula might stand a chance!

Room Tip: I had room 1 i.e. looking at the front the two windows on the first floor to the left of the main en...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I would not recommend anyone booking here! I made the mistake thinking that it was cheap, so value for money but the pictures are misleading and nothing like the actual accommodation!
There is no staff around, you just get a code emailed to you to get in your room!
I booked 5a and the room stunk of smoke and the window didn't close properly. Everything felt damp. The shared bathroom was unclean and only had one bath and toilet for the 3 rooms to share!
The room is unrefundable from booking for a reason! We had to book another hotel!
DO NOT BOOK!!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 625Tashie
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I made the mistake of booking a room here for a month. There were used sheets and towels on the bed when I arrived and rubbish in the bathroom. The carpets were filthy and the walls were not much better. No hot water in the morning (or ever). I complained, nothing happened. The television is tiny and screwed to the wall at the wrong angle, so the only way of watching it is standing up. Not equipped for a long stay with no cooking, washing or drying facilities, and no cleaning equipment. I placed some "dirt" in the communal areas to see if any cleaning was done. To my knowledge those bits of paper are still there. They don't care about their customers-don't stay here.

Room Tip: Just don't. And certainly not for long!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Stephen D
Reviewed April 3, 2013

have stayed in this hotel on three occasions now and it has never been up to spec but for the money you pay what can you expect!!

Last night was the first time I have ever felt unsafe whilst trying to sleep. The doors in the hotel have key codes to access them and they never change the codes, which means if you know the code you can just let yourself in, last night my partner and I were sleeping in the basement room, which was like a dungeon, at about midnight I heard a a group of boys come crashing through the front door, drunk, when all of a sudden they came bursting into our room laughing and then ran off, I rang the MJB line and told them what was happening as I could hear them attempting other doors in the hotel, to which I was asked did I know their names and could I detain them until someone arrived, I didn't stop to ask their names as they were crashing around. No sooner had they told me they would send someone to the hotel did they attempt to get in our room again, I opened the door to about seven or eight 18 year olds who then legged it out the front door except for one, he ran around the hotel so I went to find him, as he ran past me out of the door I told them to get lost or I would call the police, the same boy then ran at me with his fists clenched, I shut the door which he then kicked so hard he broke the fixtures and hit me in the face with the door, I immediately called the police. I gave the police a description and they searched for the boys but to no avail.

About half an hour after all of this two 'handymen' arrived who worked for MJB and one guy who looked no older than the lads who broke in told us that he was the acting manager and only one in the office. He told us that before he could do anything he had to fix the door or he would get the sack, he wanted to drive all the way back to Norwhich to sort us out some more rooms, which we were not having as at this point we no longer felt safe. He then spoke to his boss whose name and number he would not give us and told us that they had no free space in any of their other properties but they could make it so that once we had gone into our rooms for the night, nobody could get in from the outside, so his solution to doors being kicked in, was to lock is in, so my partner and I told him that he need not bother as we would be making the 2 and a half hour trip back home.

As we were leaving we found out that there were seven other rooms being used and they did not inform them that their room codes were compromised, so if you are reading this and you have been staying there you don't know who has been in your rooms when you aren't there.

The guy who came from MJB did not even offer an apology or a solution or any compensation, I have never felt so unsafe, being attacked while I am trying to sleep is not what I'm looking for when I go away for a few days.

If you are reading this I am telling you DO NOT STAY in this hotel, it's filthy dirty, many things are broken and it is not safe, there is absolutely no security and after last night I found out that the people running the place do not care.

This hotel should be shut down.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel under any circumstance, you are likely to fall ill due to the filth, have...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Holly R
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Booked cos it was close to family, but dear God what an absolute hell hole. It's filthy and I have no doubt very unsafe. The place was broken into by a gang of kids at 1am while we were there, they were in n out of every room. Management have nobody on site and sent a 16 year old "duty manager" from Norwich who didn't give a damn about the people staying there, was purely worried about a broken door. Took the lock off our room n said "nobody will be able to get in now but don't leave the room cos you won't be able to get back in", I asked how that would work in the event of a fire, his own youth offender unit clearly didn't consider that. Refused to offer any alternative accomodation......we drove at 2am to a very decent premier inn in Norwich.
Norfolks fine police officers say they attend several times a week.
IF YOU WANT SOMEWHERE TO STAY I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU CHOOSE ANYWHERE BUT HERE.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank yellowsunflowe
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I booked 2 separate single rooms. No 25 and 5B. 5B was located in what appears to be the loft of this old building. Access was via a very low, steep staircase- something akin to a horror movie. At the top was a landing too short for an adult to stand up in, with 2 buckets on the floor collecting water from the leaking window. Still hunched, i went into the room.. Where to start.. Floor was dirty with dust and hairy bits. Walls were creepy and lumpy, very poor paintwork. Ceiling had a dead fly stuck to it. The small desk was dusty. Bed was made of thin, wiry metal. The tea basket looked as though it had been recovered from a car crash. Out of sheer curiosity i decided to peel back the bedding and look at the matteress (not sure why i did this) but i was greeted with a large yellowy stain, several hairs of differing colours, a dead beetle/insect thing, and bits of dust and general unpleasantness.

Room 25 was marginally more presentable. I hardly had a chance to check thanks to the scantily clad 'woman' in the room next door who had music on very loud (midnight). Although in brief, some items of note: broken bedside lamp, toilet unflushed from last prisoner, chair covered in what i assume was bodily fluids. Id seen enough not to torment myself further by even checking the mattress.

Spending the night in this crack-house style 'hotel' instantly left my mind. I actually considered just staying awake all night instead and sitting in my car as a viable alternative.

Needless to say, i got in my car, drove to travelodge and tried to forget id ever seen this place. I didnt even complain. I dont want a refund. I just never want to talk, think or see anything to do with MJB ever again. It was... Disturbing. Never go there and please stop anyone you know/like/hate from ever going there. Its like a horror movie.

Disturbing.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be recommended. If you really have no choice sleep in your car. If you...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business