“Great Place with good food”

The Romany Rye Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dereham
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great Place with good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you can find a seat.....i reccomend.Food is great standard with cheap prices.Service is great for lunch time bite to eat.Clean and friendly.If you like quiet dont bother.Overall excellent.
They also have calorie counters on the menu for anyone watching your weight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
SWAFFAHAM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed the saturday night at the hotel, was in room 107, could'nt hear much noise outside considering the room is above the main entrance. There was only one small bottle of water on the side for two people and no water to fill the kettle up, the pillows were'nt very good they were like sleeping on a stuffed pillow case, the bed was very hard, i had about 2 hours sleep all night. We are very dissapointed and we had a meal in the resturaunt and it was'nt very as the meal was cold. I will not recomend anyone there. the staff otherwise were good

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the romany rye on a business trip over the last few months as an overnight stay it is everything you would need - clean, comfortable and very reasonable prices for dinner and breakfast. Good location for the small but busy town centre centre for shopping and 10 minutes from Norwich.

• Stayed January 2013
Kristiansand, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

As a frequent business traveler to Dereham, I have stayed at the Romany Rye, and I have tried 5 different rooms, and they have all one thing in common: absolutely NO internet. And worse: No matter which mobile provider you use, at best you get a weak signal and absolutely NO 3G or Edge. In the pub/restaurant there is free and stable wifi. So I gathered my Mac with all kind of peripherals and spent approx 20 minutes to be up and running. Then after less than 45 minutes came a very unpolite security guard and asked me to move to another table, because they were going to wash the floor just were I was sitting. The pub was filled with people so it was extremely noisy and hard to concentrate with my work, but I found another table far away from the bar area, only to be informed that the pub was closing! That left me with unfinished work, and quite a lot of frustration and the rude security guy couldn´t offer any solution other than keep on trying to get a signal in my room. So I went to bed. The next morning (Monday) I had three important business meetings and I returned 20 minutes late for check-out, and I was charged an extra night!!! But it does not stop there: I had removed an empty Coke can from my car and it was full of cigarette buts, because it had been used by a business associate who smokes (because my car has no ashtray). This was then presented by the reception as proof that I supposedly had smoked in my room, and they charged me 100 pounds for smoking indoors!!
I was late for my flight, so I didn´t have time to talk to the manager about this, because a visit to my room would have sorted this matter, since there were no cigarette smell at all.
I guess the hotel must be under new management, since I always have have been treated extremely well in the past. But after this horrific experience either me or my colleagues are going to use the Romany Rye. There are so many other good options in the area, even if I have to drive all the way up from Norwich (20 min).
The lack of wifi and cell service makes it impossible for anybody to do any serious work.
So please sort this for the future or you might be out of business, or maybe this is the policy, to avoid business travelers?

Room Tip: If wifi isn´t a poriority, I would recommend room 210, which has a sofa in addition to the chair. An...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vikingoloco
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed with some friends, for three nights, to visit some pubs in Norwich (lots of them in fact). This Wetherspoon's pub in Dereham looked convenient being only 35 minutes away from Norwich and was very reasonably priced. I had stayed in a Wetherspoon's pub before and that one was very good, this one though was excellent.
Everything was spotless, the rooms are of a decent size and the reception staff are very friendly. The whole hotel belies the fact that it is a budget hotel. I have stayed in hotels costing three times as much as we payed for this hotel and they were not up to the standards in this hotel.
Like all Wetherspoon's hotels it was connected to one of their pubs, which was a very busy pub and in common with many of their pubs it can take time to get served. The food is the standard Wetherspoon's menus, good food at a reasonable price and value for money. But oh I do wish the staff could clear the tables instead of us the customer having to clear the tables for them. The time we saw staff returning to the kitchens empty handed, when tables all over were full of old glasses, plates etc.
But still I am reviewing the hotel and not the pub, and I think most people know what Wetherspoon's pubs are like.

Room Tip: We stayed in December, but I can imagine in the summer the rooms could get very warm.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Greytop13
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst working in the area and had a pleasant stay, first of all the staff were nice polite and friendly,the rooms are very clean and spacious,went down stairs to the bar which was a wetherspoons and the bar staff were very friendly too, had food also which was good,the beds are comfy so I had a great night sleep,the breakfast was good too, overall a great stay, I would recommend staying here if your in Dereham.
Great location with easy parking too

Well done

• Stayed December 2012
East Yorkshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed at the Romany Rye for a Friday and a Saturday night. We were checked in by a very friendly and helpful receptionist and given room 105. The room was very well appointed and spotlessly clean, although a sign by the tap in the bathroom did say “Not for drinking” so how was I going to fill the kettle? No problem a quick call down to reception had the aforementioned very helpful receptionist stood outside the room with 2 jugs of iced water.

So kettle on it was time for the bed test, the bed was a little hard for my liking (however I could excuse that as we sleep on a memory foam mattress at home and anything else was always going to be a little hard) and the pillows not really up to the job of supporting the head (however I had brought my own). So waiting for the kettle to boil I laid back on the bed feeling a little smug because we had managed to bag a room at the back of the hotel where it wouldn’t be as noisy.

We then went and had a meal in the pub which was standard pub chain type food before turning in for the night. As soon as the lights went out I knew my earlier smugness was coming back to haunt me. Every time a visitor to the ladies decided to wash her hands we knew about it because we could hear the hand dryer, we could also hear the fan that powers the extractor fan above the kitchen range. A quick investigation revealed that the ducting for the fan goes up to the roof right between the 2 windows in the room. Eventually the kitchen closed and the fan was switched off and the constant stream of visitors to the ladies dried up and I managed to get to sleep. Only to be woken up at 5 O’ clock in the morning by the hand dryer and the extractor fan again, no the ghosts weren’t at play it was the cleaning and kitchen staff starting their day, so down to reception to ask if was really necessary to have the extractor fan on at that time of the morning only to be told the kitchen staff were preparing for breakfasts (So Wetherspoons prepare breakfast 2 hours before service begins, remember that one).

On Saturday whilst out shopping I decided to take some action regarding the “ambient” noise in the room and for the princely sum of £2.50 I purchased some of those foam ear plugs. On returning to the hotel we went down stairs for a meal only to be confronted by a packed bar and no free tables, I don’t know if you are aware but Wetherspoons won’t take your food order unless you have a table (and therefore a table number). So the decision was made “Room Service” it only cost £2 per order eatra so after a bar, reception, bar, reception tug of war our food order was taken and we retired to the room to await our food which arrived some 20 minutes later, (probably quicker than we would have received it in the bar) which was once again the pub chain type food. So belly full and ear plugs in we retired for the night and I can honestly say I didn’t hear a thing.

The next morning we awoke refreshed and went down to breakfast, remember the 2 hours prepared breakfast, it was served to me on a the plate. Cold toast, eggs, beans, sausage, bacon, hash browns, in fact the only thing that wasn’t cold was the black pudding. It was promptly returned and some 15 Mins later reappeared having been freshly prepared.

Overall would I return? Yes because in my view the rooms are far better than anything else on offer in Dereham. I accept it is a pub and therefore every room is going to have some sort of setback, be it noisy customers leaving the establishment at the front of the building, pub noises coming up though the floor, beer deliveries been made or noisy fans at the rear of the building. But I will pack my own pillows and that trusty packet of ear plugs will be coming with me.

Room Tip: Not 105 0r 205 but remember every room will have some failing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dereham
The George Hotel
#8 of 8 in Dereham
Yaxham Mill
Yaxham Mill
#4 of 8 in Dereham

Been to The Romany Rye Hotel? Share your experiences!