“Watch the 'Hobbit' doorway”

The Estate Grill at Great Fosters
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Egham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Estate Grill is our contemporary restaurant, which is a reflection of our commitment to providing locally sourced, simple dishes. Executive Chef, Marc Hardiman, has a straightforward and honest approach to food and enjoys experiencing new dining concepts, both in Europe and the UK. With this in mind, along with the current trend for dining to become more relaxed and casual, he has created an innovative menu of smaller plates, allowing guests to order a variety of dishes brought to the table to eat informally, in an almost "grazing" style. Choose as few or as many as you like and they'll be served by both restaurant staff and even one of our chefs. The menu still offers more classic dishes too, mainly cooked on our Josper grill, so if you fancy a traditional main course then the choice is yours! The aim is to offer our diners a more flexible approach to eating out whilst still using the finest ingredients, many of which are grown on our estate and freshly picked each day. Our extensive kitchen garden and glasshouse supply us with a variety of seasonal herbs, fruits, salad leaves and vegetables.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went to this beautiful restaurant with a group of girl friends for our winter get together. It was delightful, with very attentive and knowledgable staff. The food was excellent and all in all a very pleasant experience. There was one small critisism. The entrance door was rather crowded as I arrived and I noticed a step over the threshold so was looking down as I entered the door. Sadly the doorway is only about 5 ft high and as I am 5'7" I straightened up as I entered and cracked my head on the very thick oak door. If the doorway had been empty I would have seen it but sadly didn't. The staff were quick to offer a chair and an ice pack but I was embarrassed and just went into the dining room. I can't believe I was the first to do this so maybe some kind of warning would be appropriate.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Excellent service. Lovely massive log fire. Beautiful setting. Highly recommended this restaurant. The food is devine. The breakfast is fab. If you love history and architecture you will love this divine setting.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had dinner at the Hotel on Thursday 10th Jan,to celebrate my partners Birthday.
We arrived,suited and booted at about 7.15 and were shown to the Cocktail Lounge.
Within seconds a large ( no problem there),American came in and sat opposite us dressed as though he had just returned from a game of tennis (given his size this is unlikely).
It immediately killed any atmosphere,and given that the hotel oozes formality and tradition,we were amazed that the Hotel has no dress code. The damage was done by then and to say it spoilt the evening is an exaggeration,but really....white shorts,trainers and a tee shirt at 7.15 in a cocktail lounge!!!!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

After reading some of the reviews here I was quite excited to visit this restaurant however unfortunately our experience clearly did not match that of others here.

I have dined at some very fine michelin star restaurants in the past however these were the most meagre of portion sizes that I and my other half have come across to date. To start I had poached salmon which although terribly small was, I will concede perfectly cooked. My other half had the foie gras which was more reasonable in size and he found perfectly satisfactory. As these were starters we were quietly hoping that the main course might be slightly more generous. Unfortunately I cannot really say they were. I had cod which was actually quite tough and overcooked (although a small portion I did not feel inspired to finish it), whilst my partner had the lamb which was bordering on ridiculous in size The lamb was accompanied by one very small fondant potato.

Unfortunately there was also a mix up with the booking and although I had telephoned 2 days ahead to book a table, my name could not be found on the list. Although slightly embarrassing, they did seat us swiftly and were very apologetic. I might also mention that we had originally booked and cancelled online prior to making a telephone booking which may well have contributed to the confusion.

It is most disappointing as the staff were attentive, the sommelier was excellent (and a wonderful character) in suggesting a wine that would complement our entirely differentiating choices in dishes which we both enjoyed. The management was very accommodating and charming, and the building simply stunning. This has such potential but unfortunately for the price one would like to feel slightly more like they have eaten. The option of ordering vegetable accompaniments might assist (or dare we say providing them). As stated above, we did not raise our concerns with the hotel at the time as the staff were truly obliging and it felt distasteful to raise them and would have slightly spoiled our evening. In summary although excellent in parts, the food was not on par with our expectations and we will probably not visit again in the future.

GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on your recent visit.

I was disappointed to read some of your comments, particularly about the portion sizes. As you were kind enough to mention my team are very obliging and would happily have provided additional vegetables if requested.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We got married at this hotel and are rating this restaurant based on our 'tasting' experience. The service and food were exceptional and I would recommend the restaurant for business entertaining and special occasions.