“Mediocre”

The Estate Grill at Great Fosters
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Egham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Estate Grill is our contemporary restaurant, which is a reflection of our commitment to providing locally sourced, simple dishes. Executive Chef, Marc Hardiman, has a straightforward and honest approach to food and enjoys experiencing new dining concepts, both in Europe and the UK. With this in mind, along with the current trend for dining to become more relaxed and casual, he has created an innovative menu of smaller plates, allowing guests to order a variety of dishes brought to the table to eat informally, in an almost "grazing" style. Choose as few or as many as you like and they'll be served by both restaurant staff and even one of our chefs. The menu still offers more classic dishes too, mainly cooked on our Josper grill, so if you fancy a traditional main course then the choice is yours! The aim is to offer our diners a more flexible approach to eating out whilst still using the finest ingredients, many of which are grown on our estate and freshly picked each day. Our extensive kitchen garden and glasshouse supply us with a variety of seasonal herbs, fruits, salad leaves and vegetables.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

After reading some of the reviews here I was quite excited to visit this restaurant however unfortunately our experience clearly did not match that of others here.

I have dined at some very fine michelin star restaurants in the past however these were the most meagre of portion sizes that I and my other half have come across to date. To start I had poached salmon which although terribly small was, I will concede perfectly cooked. My other half had the foie gras which was more reasonable in size and he found perfectly satisfactory. As these were starters we were quietly hoping that the main course might be slightly more generous. Unfortunately I cannot really say they were. I had cod which was actually quite tough and overcooked (although a small portion I did not feel inspired to finish it), whilst my partner had the lamb which was bordering on ridiculous in size The lamb was accompanied by one very small fondant potato.

Unfortunately there was also a mix up with the booking and although I had telephoned 2 days ahead to book a table, my name could not be found on the list. Although slightly embarrassing, they did seat us swiftly and were very apologetic. I might also mention that we had originally booked and cancelled online prior to making a telephone booking which may well have contributed to the confusion.

It is most disappointing as the staff were attentive, the sommelier was excellent (and a wonderful character) in suggesting a wine that would complement our entirely differentiating choices in dishes which we both enjoyed. The management was very accommodating and charming, and the building simply stunning. This has such potential but unfortunately for the price one would like to feel slightly more like they have eaten. The option of ordering vegetable accompaniments might assist (or dare we say providing them). As stated above, we did not raise our concerns with the hotel at the time as the staff were truly obliging and it felt distasteful to raise them and would have slightly spoiled our evening. In summary although excellent in parts, the food was not on par with our expectations and we will probably not visit again in the future.

GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on your recent visit.

I was disappointed to read some of your comments, particularly about the portion sizes. As you were kind enough to mention my team are very obliging and would happily have provided additional vegetables if requested.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We got married at this hotel and are rating this restaurant based on our 'tasting' experience. The service and food were exceptional and I would recommend the restaurant for business entertaining and special occasions.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

A large party of us arrived the evening before my daughters wedding. We dined in the Oak Room, the food and service was outstanding.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Decided to visit Great Fosters hotel for a business lunch and we weren't disappointed. The service was exceptional and although we only settled for a bar snack it was delicious. Sitting by a roaring log fire with the rain pouring outside we were impressed with the decor and wonderful feeling of sitting where Henry the VIII might have sat.(although not in the same chair). tasty food and a lovely glass of wine. My friend very impressed with the waiters choice of Sipsmith gin. Cant wait to go back. The negative.......a little backgroud music would have been nice.

2  Thank Kathryn D
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Our visit to the Great Fosters was that of a special family occasion, about 16 in total uniting together in celebration of various milestones. Suffice it to say, the choice of dining experience and venue could not have been better than the service we received here.

The hotel and its grounds offer fantastic character. The scenery both indoors and out provides a beautiful setting for those special occasions.

Furthermore, both the tasteful range of choice in the food and its subsequent delivery is second-to-none. The catering and service was of utmost quality.

This experience, which I hope to enjoy again someday, comes with my absolute recommendation.

GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager - Cathy Nolan at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for your recent review and wonderful comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed your family celebration and that we successfully managed to cater for all ages.

I hope that you and your family would like to return for your next gathering.