“Feels like home from home”
Review of Hydeaway House

Hydeaway House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Egham
Hydeaway House
Ranked #5 of 7 Egham B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Ben and Brenda have looked after me numerous times during the three years my daughter was a Royal Holloway. The rooms are in their own house and are comfortably furnished, and there is a good choice of food for breakfast. The location is nice and quiet and very convenient for the University. I would highly recommend this B&B for other visiting parents or lecturers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hydeaway House

Reviewed January 13, 2014

A colleague and I stayed with Brenda and Ben in April 2013. We had a little difficulty finding it at night but were made to feel very welcome when we did arrive. Its location was why we choose it as a client was nearby and we had planned to take a taxi the following morning but much to our surprise and delight were brought there in the family car for our convenience. Top marks for looking after clients.

The rooms are a typical small B&B but while small very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was cooked fresh for us.

Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Eoghan O
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Brenda and Ben were excellent hosts and made us feel at home. They were very helpful in providing directions and giving advice regarding dining, shopping and transportation around Egham. We loved the delicious breakfast each morning and the warm hospitality. It was so convenient for us to stay there, as we were visiting our daughter attending Royal Holloway as an exchange student for the semester. The room was comfortable and cozy with a wonderful hot shower each morning. The cost was very reasonable and it is located in a lovely and quiet neighborhood. We would highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy L
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My room was very comfortable, although the wash basin in the bathroom was rather small and the plug was of no use, as water went down the bowl quicker than I could fill it! Breakfast was very satisfying although i'm not too keen on having to make my own toast, which necessitates getting up every so often and when the dining room is full, it's difficult to get past other guests to reach the toaster. Small niggles apart, I would recommend this B&B, especially for the friendly hosts.
I also feel that £55 for one night was excessive........particular for a single person.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I spend 2-3 nights a week away at work during the week and recently stayed at Hydaway House. The room was lovely and comfortable and the shower was excellent. Brenda makes you feel at home. I would recommend staying here to anyone

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I recently stayed here with my husband and was very happy with what I saw at the start. The room was beautiful and Brenda was really friendly.

However, as time went on we were given a long list of house rules which made me feel uncomfortable. We did not get an explanation of how the shower worked so in the middle of the night we had to figure out that you had to pull a string to put it on.

In regards, to the bathroom it was very dirty and there were hairs in the shower and the bin had not been emptied out prior to our arrival. Moreover, during the night we could hear everything as there is very bad isolation and the floors are creaky.

Then when it came to breakfast we were only offered one glass of orange juice and the jug of juice was taken away from us which was very odd. In addition, we were not offered cold breakfast when told that we we're leaving early.

Furthermore, we were told to vacate our room from 10 am to 1pm so you can dream on if you want a lie in. My advice would be to avoid coming here for sure!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie F
Surreymagic, Manager at Hydeaway House, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

We were sorry to hear that our guests were not happy with their accommodation, but feel that they do not understand the concept of an English B & B. With regards to the long list of rules, there was a short list of information e.g break fast time 7-9 am, check out 10 am and we lock our doors at 1 am. The only rules are no smoking, a legal requirement, and no access to our private accommodation. We ask our gusts to vacate their rooms between 10 and 1 pm to allow us to clean. Most B & B's ask you to vacate most of the day and don't allow you back before 5 pm. They also mention noise in the middle of the night, this was probably due to the fact that by their own admission that they were taking a shower in the middle of the night. The shared bathroom was cleaned prior to their arrival including the disposal of all rubbish in the bin, but another guest had checked in prior to them and had consequently used before them. The piece of "string" they refer to is an isolation cord that was fitted by a qualified electrician and is required by law for our gusts safety. This couple requested a check out time prior to breakfast at 7 am, at no time was I asked for a cold breakfast, but had I known I would have been more than happy to oblige. We are not a hotel and we feel for £27.50 per person to include a full English breakfast is good value for money and most of our previous reviews have been complimentary.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at this B&B after a friend recommended it. My fiance had a conference at the Royal Holloway University and it was within walking distance. Brenda and Ben are really great and made us feel right at home. The king room was very spacious and super comfortable. Brenda makes a delicious traditional English breakfast! The B&B is within walking distance to restaurants, pubs, and the train station. Ben was even kind enough to give my fiance a ride one morning to the University due to rain. We had a great stay and hope to return again. I would definitely recommend this B&B to others and hope to return again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank g8torjen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Travelodge Egham
#1 of 2 in Virginia Water
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor

Been to Hydeaway House? Share your experiences!