“Can not wait to return!”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed August 22, 2014

If you want an adults only, pretentious, old fashioned hotel and spa don't come here! But do come here if you want an informal and relaxing break with a fantastic setting, that also welcomes children! My husband and I booked the couples spa package for my birthday. Excellent value for money, one of the best massages I have had. Food was delicious. We paid a small supplement for a river view which was worth it. Agree with other reviews the standard rooms are very small.
Lovely spa!
There was a bag of macaroons and a card left for my birthday of which was a lovely touch.
We booked the electric boat for an hour and was greeted by Craig the Guest Relations manager who was most helpful!
Great location for a stroll along the river or for a boat trip.
Didn't want to go home! Can not wait for an excuse to return.
Well done to the management and staff!!
I have already recommended this hotel to my colleague who has booked a two night stay. I am envious!

Room Tip: Do pay the small surcharge for river view!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the runnymede and I am so pleased that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us. I am glad that you experienced one of the best massages you have had and that I was able to arrange the boat hire for you.
I am glad that you liked the little touch in your room for your birthday and that your impression of the hotel was so good that you have already recommended us to colleagues.
We look forward to welcoming both your colleagues and you back to the hotel very soon.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,817)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We stayed at the Runnymede at the end of July for one night, what a beautiful location, right on the river. You do unfortunately have aircraft noise overhead most of the time but you can't have everything as it is close to Heathrow, On the upside the food was excellent, lots of choice, well cooked and presented. I don't think I have been to a hotel restaurant with such lovely food, the staff were helpful and friendly. I must admit I have never been to a hotel where you have to upgrade to have twin beds! The facilities were excellent with an indoor and outdoor pool. You can sit and have a drink outside and watch all the boats going in and out of the canal lock. Enjoy our short time at the Runnymede.

Room Tip: We had a river view room which was excellent, as before we upgraded we were facing the car park, not...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your glowing review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the location by the river, and you thought the food offering was excellent and better than any other hotel you have visited.
I am also glad that you were able to enjoy the spa with its indoor and outdoor pool and were able to relax and watch the boats go by on the river.
I have passed on your kind comments to the team as it is always nice to know that their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We enjoyed two lovely nights at the Runnymede on Thames in July this year.

We stayed in a duplex room which was very spacious and had a lovely outlook onto the river.

The bathroom was not as clean as it should have been on arrival but this was very quickly rectified.

All other aspects of our stay we're very good -nice staff, excellent service, good food and a lovely room.

The hotel is very well located for trips to London and childrens attractions such as the Harry Potter Experience in Watford and Legoland in Windsor.

It has both an indoor and and outdoor pool which was fantastic given the lovely weather this summer!

Room Tip: Duplex rooms great for families as very spacious!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Thank you for a glowing review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the duplex which you found spacious with great views overlooking the river Thames.
I am glad that you found our location of the local attractions to be so convenient, the service excellent, food good and the team nice. I am sorry that the bathroom wasn’t cleaned to our usual high standards but pleased that this was rectified quickly.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

I agree with one traveller that it wasn't far off a travellodge room and there are planes overhead. It's on the Heathrow flypath so I won't hold it against them and planes overhead weren't any sort of a distraction.
The room could have been bigger for sure. Only very small traces of bathroom mould round the sealant which is sadly a plus these days!
There is a feeling that there is a high staff turnover and this shows in the quality of some of the staff. Others are nothing short of excellent. Judy in housekeeping for example. Though she couldn't find the dress that we may have left there she went out of we way to track it down and was very friendly.
The bars and terrace are very comfortable, as is the spa.
The epic scale of the awesome evening buffet meal is something to be admired. And the same with breakfast with chefs ready to serve and prepare special orders at both meals.
Price-wise sandwiches (as another reviewer said) are very pricey. I missed an argument late on the second night (the hotel was a base for most of the guests at my sisters' wedding - so we were back late on the second night) about a few trays of bog-standard sandwiches costing in the region of £150. It was substantially reduced upon the complaints.
There's a park and plenty of play space for kids as well as the spa at certain times. When not there's still the outside pool.
I grimace at the fact I need to charge £1 for a breakfast bar in my own business and so to see them on at £2 in the mini-bar was gobsmacking.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great great place just perhaps not as good as it thinks it is for the money.
We had a fabulous time however and if the Irish contingent of the new family are coming over again en mass to stay there I'll definitely be back!

Stayed: July 2014
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Thank your for your mainly positive review of the runnymede and I am pleased that many of your family would choose to stay at the hotel again in the future when visiting the area.
As a result of your personal praise for Judy in Housekeeping she will be automatically entered into our Employee of the Quarter scheme.
I believe I have responded to the comments regarding the sandwiches on the evening of the wedding in a previous response.
I can assure you that we have a lot of very long serving team members and a few new staff but our turnover is low.
We conduct competitor reviews on the local hotels in the area and believe that our prices are competitive in our market place but appreciate that this may not be your opinion.
I am however glad that you thought the facilities in the Spa are fantastic and overall you think the runnymede is a great place.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend with my partner as we were getting married locally. We chose the Deluxe Double Riverside room so it would have more space etc to get ready, which was rather pricey but we wanted to make sure we were comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in to find it was very spacious and also had a balcony/terrace which we made great use of for photos on the morning of our wedding day. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. Minibar prices were reasonable for a hotel in this location and the shower was lovely! Also free wifi, which I’d like to think is standard, but unfortunately isn’t in a lot of hotels, so a great bonus.

I love this hotel and visit regularly despite living 2 mins away. The decor, ambience and location, for me, are perfect as I like modern hotels. It doesn't have a corporate feel and is far from pretentious. It is simply relaxed and friendly. The food is lovely with a fantastic breakfast buffet. We regularly eat at The Lock living locally and love the food and service in there. The room service may be a little pricey...we ordered 2 sandwiches at midnight at £11 each - but it's a hotel and in this area is what you should expect to pay, so don't be surprised by this.

The service is always exemplary and the staff cannot do enough for you.

I didn’t get to use the spa facilities this time around so cannot comment on them for this occasion, but previously they have been great. The outdoor pool, when we get the weather is excellent.

Personally, I can’t fault the hotel, and I can be a bit hard to please sometimes. The Runnymede hotel and it’s staff added sparkle to an already fantastic weekend. Thank you!

Room Tip: We had room 176 with an outdoor terrace/balcony - it was quite a walk though as it was at the very e...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you chose the runnymede as the hotel to celebrate your wedding. I am glad that you found the room spacious, liked the balcony and free Wi-Fi.
I am pleased that you enjoy coming to the Lock Bar and Kitchen and that you find the food great and service exemplary with helpful staff.
Once again congratulations on your marriage and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when perhaps you will have time to use the spa.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed as a family while visiting a local attraction.

We initially chose this hotel because we could be accommodated as a family of four without the hassle of adjoining rooms or having to book the grand-high-master-of-the-universe suite (which you seem to have to do as a family in many UK hotels).

Check in was friendly and efficient. We arrived late and ordered room service which was, quite possibly, the best room service meal I have had. Even better, all four dishes arrived promptly and piping hot.

Our room, while not enormous, was spotlessly clean, well appointed and big enough for 2 adults and 2 young children to manoeuvre without falling over eachother. The children were furnished with activity packs and extra toiletries. This attention to detail was very much appreciated as younger guests can sometimes be overlooked. If I had to improve one thing about the room, and this is terribly nitpicky, I would say that a larger television screen would be nice.

In daylight we could fully appreciate the lovely setting and enjoyed a morning walk along the Thames. Boats are available for hire and I would definitely consider this on our next visit. (Buffet) breakfast was excellent; well presented and high quality.

The R on T is immaculately maintained, food is very good and staff are friendly and efficient. We will definitely return and are looking forward to sampling more of the food and, perhaps, attending the spa.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your great review of the runnymede and I am pleased that we were able to accommodate your family well. I am glad that the check in was friendly and efficient and that you had probably the best room service meal ever on your first evening with us.
I am delighted that you found the rooms clean and well-appointed although we shall review the TV screen size.
It is good to see that your enjoyment of the food offering extended to breakfast and that you enjoyed your morning walk along the river and our riverside setting.
We very much look forward to your next visit so you can hire a boat, relax in the spa or visit one of the many tourist attractions in the area.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

If you like a travelodge room with an intimate view of planes overhead this is the place for you. Probably great for a work conference but not for an intimate getaway. Room was small with a tiny TV mini bar a rip off and the room service rubbish. Small choice and a ham sandwich costs £12 ( not a problem but you normally get some additional accompaniments). Really disappointed! Called for room service and the choice was poor at the least. Very close to the m25 which could be an advantage but not if you are going away for a relaxing weekend! Was given a letter on first night advising not to go for breakfast at certain times as it may be busy! Really .. ...

6  Thank Sarah P

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you thought we were not a hotel suitable for an intimate break and were disappointed by our room service offering.
We do advise our guests of the busy times in the restaurant but as a guideline as to when best to visit not as a deterrent.
I’m sorry that our modernity and buzzy atmosphere were not to you liking.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!