“EXORBITANT”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
London, United Kingdom
“EXORBITANT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a pleasant hotel - a boring building but on the banks of the Thames near where the Magna Carta was signed. Everything is good - food, wine, rooms, service, spa. However, it is inordinately expensive for what is a luxury hotel but with rather ordinary facilities and rooms by that standard. I have stayed in several great hotels such as the casa de carmona and the Taj Grand and Jaipur and they were all much better value. Still it's the location I guess!! The beds are not that great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank reiver59
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you found the food, wine, rooms and service good as well as the location by the river. I am however sorry that you felt we are expensive especially as we regularly conduct price reviews to ensure we offer competitive rates within our market place. I am also sorry that you thought the beds were not great as we only use Hypnos beds in the bedrooms with toppers to ensure the guests comfort but again I am sorry that you did not find them comfortable.
I do hope that you will return to us in the future.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Polish first
UK, London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Treated my two elderly Aunt's to a Spa Day followed by Afternoon Tea in the Lounge for a party of 6 as part of an 80th Birthday celebration...Lauren in Spa bookings organised the day to perection - my Aunt's had never experienced a spa before so where totally out of their comfort zone. The staff showed them around and hand held them through their day perfectly... they loved it.. Afternoon tea followed a lovely selection of sandwiches and pastries with a nice glass of bubbly to wash it all down.. lovely surroundings and really nice food.. The Birthday cake exceeded my expectations...and was very reasonably priced - £30 for a fresh cream and strawberry cake with personalised icing...all the leftovers were nicely boxed up for us to take home. Lovely time had by all can highly recommend..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karrenrob
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of your visit to the runnymede Spa and Lounge. I am so pleased that your Aunts enjoyed their time in the spa and the team were welcoming and put them at ease throughout the day. I am also glad that the cake made freshly by our pastry team exceeded your expectations and you all had an enjoyable afternoon tea.
I have passed your feedback onto all the team especially Lauren and we look forward to your next visit to the runnymede-on-thames.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My partner booked this hotel for a family long weekend away with our 5 year old son. The hotel is in a fantastic location with so much to do near by, we visited Windsor castle, legoland, went on a boat trip and much more. The food at the hotel was amazing, such high quality produce. I love to cook & I could not fault the food in any way, so we certainly indulged. The service was great and the staff very friendly. The bar area has a great view and lovely dining alongside the Thames. Games available on the lawn to which my son enjoyed and we also made use of the pool areas. Only bad part was having to leave. We would love to return.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your great review of the runnymede. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your weekend with us and enjoyed the local attractions such as Windsor and Legoland as well as making the most of the river location and taking a boat trip. I am also glad that you could not fault any of the food during your stay and found the quality of the food offering amazing
I am pleased your son enjoyed his time playing on the lawns with the giant games and in the swimming pools too.
Hopefully you will return soon to explore the many other nearby attractions and we look forward to your visit.
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've been to this hotel several times now and not been disappointed once. The food in the buffet restaurant is always really good for both quality and choice. Breakfasts are equally as good for choice and quality. Drinks with dinner can be a bit pricey which can make the overall cost more than you'd expect to pay for a buffet.

Rooms aren't huge and the bathrooms can be on the compact side but are comfortable, clean and well maintained. The hotel staff will happily cater to requirements, for example providing hypo allergenic bedding.

The spa facilities are good. The only (very small) downside is that the pool can be noisy when there are several small children and a separate, adults only, area for lounging around would be nice. I haven't been there in the summer to experience the outdoor pool yet, but an autumnal walk along the river is refreshing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you had a lovely birthday with us. I have passed on your kind comments to the team as it is always nice to receive positive feedback on the way they look after our guests.
I am glad that on the several occasions you have been to the hotel you have never been disappointed once and that you enjoy the food offering in the Leftbank. We do ensure that our drinks prices are in line with our local competitors by conducting price reviews regularly but I am sorry that you did not find this.
I am also pleased that you enjoyed the spa facilities despite the not so relaxing period when children are in the pool. We do have child free times in the spa which maybe more suitable for you on future stays.
We look forward to your next visit when hopefully the outdoor pool will be open.
Craig Spencer
Resident / Guest Relations Manager.
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Over from South Africa and needed a restful couple of days before a series business meetings in Europe. Enjoyed a well-appointed suite overlooking the Thames ..was beautifully furnished with all the necessary accoutrements. The staff were courteous & efficient and there was a relaxing ambiance about the place. Large lounge area with comfortable seating - just a little disappointed they did not have any English draught beers. Had nice walk along the river (clear blue sky in November - was I dreaming?!) Took breakfast in the 'Lock' being the overflow dining space where the layout, service and food were all excellent. The only reason I have not given a '5' rating is that I did not sample either the Spa or the hotel's dinner offering; I would be surprised however if these were not of a similar high standard. Would stay again and fully recommend.

Room Tip: Strongly suggest a room with a view of the river, an exquisite vista with which to start the day!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Deltablade
Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede and I am glad that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay before heading off to Europe for your meetings. I am pleased that you found the room overlooking the River Thames beautifully furnished with everything you needed to ensure you had a comfortable night’s sleep.,
I am also glad that you enjoyed the breakfast offering in The Lock Bar and Kitchen and that you had a pleasant walk along the river.
We do stock English beers in the hotel but they are in bottles rather than draught but draught English cider is available and the popular lagers such as Carling.
I have passed on your kind feedback to the team so they are aware of how much their efforts are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when hopefully you will get to try the Spa facilities and dinner offering.
Crawley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Wow, what a fantastic night! Booked in at 3pm and spent the afternoon in the Spa having a fantastic massage and relaxing next to the pool, using the steam room, sauna and even the ice cold plunge pool in the changing rooms. Was all very refreshing and totally relaxing!

The room was clean, well presented and despite a bed that was a little soft for me had a fantastic nights sleep.

We werent able to book a meal in the A la Carte restaurant so went to the buffet restaurant for dinner. What a fantastic spread! The food was fresh, well presented and all the staff looked like they really enjoyed being there. Its always great to see a happy staff and definitely ensures a wonderful dining experience.

Breakfast was again a sumptuous buffet that had something for everyone!

Room Tip: If you want a biew of the river, try and get an even number room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darryll L
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede. I am pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon relaxing in the spa
I am also glad that despite not being able to eat in the Lock Bar and Kitchen you enjoyed the Leftbank buffet with its fantastic spread of fresh well presented food. I have passed on your kind comments to all the teams as it is always nice for them to see positive feedback from our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is my 3rd trip to The Runnymede in the last 8 months. I simply love it.

The staff are amazing, friendly, professional. The restaurants are accommodating, a huge variety of food and drinks are on offer. The buffet breakfast is fresh, clean, well catered.

They make children feel important and welcomed.

Lovely well kept facilities including a swimming pool and spa area. The gym is a great addition to a great hotel!

The rooms are spacious, extremely comfortable beds and pillows that you want to take home.

I will be booking again soon!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review of the runnymede and I am pleased that it is one of your favourite hotels and that you have visited us 3 times in the last year.
I have passed your kind comments on to all the team so they are aware of how much their efforts are appreciated. I am glad that as well as finding the team here amazing you found the restaurants very accommodating with a huge variety of food on offer.
I am also glad that you found the rooms spacious and extremely comfortable and the spa facilities well kept.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,155 reviews

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!