“A very very good hotel”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This really is a very good hotel. Not excellent because it provides everything that you might need to a recognised level of expectation without ever really exceeding those expectations. Having said that the members of staff are all very well trained and motivated, the food is very good, everything is very efficiently delivered and the building is right next to the Thames in very nice surroundings, despite being right on the Heathrow take off path and immediately adjacent to the M25. Surprisingly neither of these things had too much of a negative impact. The rooms were well appointed, maintained and very clean, and I had a very comfortable night sleep.

The rooms are very small and this is a major issue for two people sharing. I found that only one person could get ready at a time and the other needed to vacate the room to create enough space. A good thing would be if they were to remove every other wall and double the room sizes. By doing this the hotel would provide the size of accommodation found in most other hotels.

Room size was the only issue, apart from management obsession with questionnaires, we were provide with 4 to fill in during our stay. Nevertheless I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A river view is worth having. Go for the largest room size that you can get.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of the runnymede hotel and I am glad that you think the hotel is ‘very good’. I am pleased that you found the team here very well trained and motivated and the food very good. I am also glad that you found the hotel’s location to be in nice surroundings and that the location near to the M25 and Heathrow acceptable and that you had a comfortable night’s sleep finding the rooms well appointed.
We do have larger doubles than the one that you were staying in and I would advise on future stays to ask for a superior or deluxe double room as these are bigger.
We do ask for feedback, but am sorry that you were asked 4 times for this!!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding reception last night. Had adjoining rooms so my 12 yr old son had his own space. Beautifully comfortable bed. Room not very spacious but v well equipped with hair dryer, iron & board, lots of hangers and free safe. Had controllable air con, but the room still got a bit too warm. We used the spa - it was packed with guests and members though so not very relaxing. Tiny, quite cold, pool, one jacuzzi and people everywhere. The ladies changing room was also tiny with no privacy or space to move. Nice showers tho with products supplied. One member - some scratchy old woman - was complaining loudly about there being children in the designated swim lane but she was swimming while we were in there and there weren't any obstructing swimmers. Came over as a terrible snob frankly. Hate to think that she represents their typical members. It was a bit unwelcoming for guests - nothing was explained or signposted very well and as i imagine they have large nos of first time users who are guests, I kind of expected better. We had a beer and sandwiches in the lobby. Chicken wrap £10, chips £4 a bowl and v hot and tasty. I always expect to pay over the odds in a hotel but seriously £8(!) for a white bread sliced ham and mustard sandwich is OUTRAGEOUS. That's right - one round with unremarkable sliced ham. There was nothing amazing about it apart from the price! The lobby was packed with people having afternoon tea when we first arrived. It's a smaller hotel than I always imagined it to be as I've driven past it many times. Wedding reception was fabulous, food was delicious, drinks prices were high - naturally. We had a great time tho. Slept really well except once morning came we heard people slamming doors outside. There's hardly any sound proofing offered by the room door and unfortunately our rooms were right beside the lift and stairs. We had a view of the car park but didn't matter as we weren't there for river views. The setting is lovely and they also give all the kids a fluffy toy duck on check in. Lovely touch - despite initially calling it babyish my son's now really attached to his! Breakfast was brilliant have to say. Buffet so you can feast on cooked items, fruit, or continental style with coffee and orange juice served. It was delicious and at least that's generous. Service in the hotel was ok, if on the slow side. Waited 10 minutes for drinks to arrive in the lobby, eventually being chased up by a manager. Breakfast milk wasn't served and took ages to catch someone's attention. Overall it was a comfy stay, had a fantastic time at the wedding and can't find any compelling reason not to recommend this hotel. Just don't expect a peaceful, luxury spa virtually to yourself!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that overall you would recommend the hotel and that you had a fabulous time at the wedding reception. I have passed on your feedback regarding the spa and signage to the Spa Manager and I am sorry that you didn’t feel very welcomed. We are currently changing the door closers in the bedrooms to make them close quieter and I am sorry that this disturbed you.
Our restaurant and lounge prices are similar to our competitors in the area and we conduct regular competitor surveys to ensure our prices are in line with others and we continually review our prices so we are open to changes. It is worth noting that many other hotels / restaurants add a service charge to the final bill; all gratuities are discretionary here and given directly to the staff for all tables less than 8 covers.
We look forward to your future visits.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed over 3 nights , generally the facilities are good , staff were friendly and attentive. If you wish to eat each evening in the hotel it can be difficult to ensure a table in the restaurant , we were advised of this when our booking was confirmed , but although we attempted to book the two restaurant for some variety during our stay we were unsuccessful - this is due to the popularity of the restaurant and non-residents booking to eat in the hotel . The other disappointing issue was that there was no clear segregation on outside seating areas between smokers and non-smokers .

Room Tip: Go for the river view , more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your nicereview of the runnymede and I am so pleased that you found the facilities in the hotel to be good in general and the team here are friendly and attentive.
I am sorry that you were not able to get the table you hoped for in the restaurants; as you say we do advise booking prior to arrival as we are very popular with both residents and local guests.
We do have smoking and non-smoking areas on the terraces and these are marked with ‘non-smoking’ signs and ashtrays marking the smoking zones but I am sorry that you felt more could be done.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while on business travel in the area. The hotel seemed to have everything needed for comfortable stay. Quick check in and check out. Great breakfast buffet. Lively front lobby in the evening to sit and enjoy a drink. Comfortable bed and great water pressure in the shower. Free wireless access. Not too far from Heathrow. My only regret was that I was not here in the summer and could not enjoy the Thames side pub. The extensive collection of British themed rubber ducks was also charming given my daughter collects rubber ducks. A very cute touch. Would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for your great review of the runnymede and I am pleased that you found us to be a ‘great hotel for a business traveller’ with all the facilities you needed. I am glad that you experienced a quick check in and out and that you found the bedroom comfortable with a great shower. I’m pleased you liked our duck collection.
Hopefully we will see you again soon and in the summer when you can enjoy the riverside terraces.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights while doing the 50km Thames Path Challenge which finished just up the Thames at the pleasure grounds. Location for the event was excellent, we arrived very early but were unable to get a room, checked in but were told to come back after 2pm to collect keys. Room was one of the riverside view rooms, quite nice, plenty of room, clean, quite small windows for the size of the room overlooking the lock, but unable to open window due to a stop, I assume to prevent people falling out as there is no balcony! Bathroom clean and fresh with towels, robes and bottles of shower gel and shampoo. There was a mini bar in the room but no complimentary water. The package we had included breakfast and dinner the first night. The dinner was a buffet affair so eat as much as you want, good selection of salads, fish, chess and hot food though limited vegetarian selection. Service was excellent, in fact I can not fault the staff who were friendly and courteous throughout our stay. The hotel is located just off the M25 and on the Heathrow flight path however noise from outside was not an issue, it was a different story inside. We seemed to have a room that was adjacent to some form of pump or fan which had a constant hum throughout the night, so much so I had to use ear plugs to sleep, due to our schedule of leaving early and returning late I never got a change to speak to anyone but don't take room 168 if offered. We did have room service, and the fish and chips and wine were delivered in good time and were excellent. Breakfast on the check out morning was good, plenty cereals, fruit and continental selection as well as cooked English (bit cold though and hash browns greasy and soggy) I would have given this hotel 5 stars for the staff and location had we not had the noise problem but I would stay again as long as they could guarantee a quite room :o)

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Thames are slightly bigger though not sure they are worth the supplement as un...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for your review of the runnymede and congratulations on completing the Thames Path challenge. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you and your fellow walkers before and after taking part in such a great event – all for a good cause.
I am glad that you found all you needed in the bedrooms including the complimentary toiletries. We do indeed have stoppers on the windows to allow fresh air in but prevent the windows opening fully for safety reasons.
I am glad that you enjoyed the dinner and the breakfast in Leftbank and found the selection available good although I am sorry you felt there was not much for vegetarians on the hot counter despite the wide selection on the cold buffet.
I am so pleased that you found all the team here at the runnymede ‘excellent’. I have passed on your kind comments onto the team so they are aware of how much their efforts are appreciated.
I am, however, sorry you didn’t get much sleep due to the noise from some machinery near your room which we shall investigate further. If we had been aware of your issue, I can assure you we would have allocated another room to ensure you got as much rest as possible before setting out on your walk.
It is good to see that overall you would stay again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Why would you want to stay anywhere else. I have been staying at the Runnymede for years, and have always enjoyed excellent service, and a breakfast that is second to none. On this trip they surpassed their usual excellent service, I arrived at 10 in the morning just off a flight from the US, due to a mix up I had no hotel reservation. The Runnymede was able to give me a room, after the receptionist kindly called the service manager to make sure there was a clean room, and I was able to shower and get some sleep before my meetings. The rooms are comfy, and if you can get a river view you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view you will enjoy your stay even more
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your great review of the runnymede and I am glad that you have been staying with us for years and always found the service excellent and the breakfast second to none.
I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a room in the morning on your recent trip and am glad that you were able to freshen up and relax in one of our river facing rooms before a day of meetings.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just returned from a very pleasant stay at the hotel, to celebrate a friend's 40th birthday. We made good use of the spa facilities on Saturday afternoon - pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, gym. A few of us then went off for a brisk walk to the nearby Air Forces Memorial. The walk took us partway along the towpath, and there was plenty to see. Staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful. We opted for the buffet in the evening, and were really impressed by both the choice and quality of the food on offer. Exactly the same applied to the breakfast. Rooms were small-ish but very comfortable. Overall, we had a great weekend, and would certainly recommend it. We booked a spa weekend package, which made for good value overall - it included use of spa, dinner, room and breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing the runnymede to celebrate your friends 40th birthday and I am pleased that you made good use of the spa and poolside facilities. I am pleased that you enjoyed your riverside walk to the local air force memorial and found both the dinner and breakfast in the Leftbank impressive with the choices and quality of food on offer.
I have passed your kind comments onto the team at the hotel so they can see how much their efforts are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!