“A fantastic weekend wedding trip”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
“A fantastic weekend wedding trip”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

You can pay a fortune for hotels and ending up just sleeping in them. On this occasion we were attending a family wedding at th hotel and booked a double room and I have to say we had a fantastic time. Room felt warm with a little luxury although relatively small. Thre was a great selection of food for breakfast (although I wish hotels would cook the bacon rather than providing what looks like an undercooked version of it.

The weather was fantastic so we were able to have breakfast outside, which was very nice. Food and drink didn't appear to be overly expensive and the overall feel of the hotel felt quality and not stuffy.

The grounds were clean and extensive and there was a good supply of outdoor seating. I was really good to see an outdoor pool in the great weather.

Normally I go away to visit places rather than to visit a hotel but on this occasion I would revisit this hotel anytime.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel and I am glad that your visit was so enjoyable and that you had a fantastic time being able to enjoy the outdoor seating looking over the river and found the room had all the facilities you needed in it.
We are very lucky to have an outdoor pool which is certainly proving popular during this warm weather and I am pleased that you thought the extensive grounds were kept clean and tidy for our guests to walk round.
I’m glad that you thought the breakfast selection was great although I am sorry that you thought the bacon was undercooked. We have a chef on duty on the theatre kitchen so if you require bacon cooked that little bit longer they would be happy to assist.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your next visit.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Due to an 8am meeting Monday morning I had to travel Sunday afternoon and stay over in Egham Sunday evening. This was also one of the hottest days of the year and the Wimbledon final so I was in no mood for anything less than perfect. And it was ! The entrance appearance to the hotel is impressive and welcoming. The check-in was friendly and swift. The room was albeit small, but well furnished and of high quality. But the best part is the setting. Sitting on the terrace with a glass of wine and a nice meal next to the Thames was idyllic. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and we sat outside from 6pm until around 11:30pm. Next morning had a very nice breakfast again outside on the terrace. Food was of high quality and couldn't fault the choice. I had a corporate rate which resulted in an excellent deal for the location, facilities and standard of hotel. Looking forward to returning again this week and again in August, and will aim to get there a little earlier to take full advantage.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason_Warren
Thank you for your glowing review of the runnymede and I am so pleased that you thought that even on the hottest day of the year you found the hotel to be perfect. I am glad that you found the check in was swift but friendly and you found everything you needed in your room.
I am delighted that due to the hot weather you were able to enjoy both dinner and breakfast outside on the riverside terraces and found the food high in quality and the service from everyone friendly and knowledgeable.
We look forward to welcoming you back this week and hope the weather holds out for you.
Resident // Guest Relations Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel is set in well kept gardens and inside is very clean. I don't normally like buffett style dinning but found the food here to be of a very high standard and I totally enjoyed it.

Our room had a view directly of the river & had a botte of bubbly waiting there for us on our arrival. It was very clean and decorated to a high standard,

Room Tip: Buy a duck ;)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your short break with us and enjoyed the riverside view from your room and the quality of our food offering. We look forward to your return trip…….to buy another duck!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Whats Good:-
Scenic views of the river
Spa and swimming pool
Breakfast food

Whats Average:-
Rooms - In my opinion they are on the small side considering the cost of the stay.
Housekeeping - On the hotel website they advertise that you can replace feather duvet and pillows with Hypo-allergenic if you call before you arrive. I called the morning I arrived and they said they would arrange, when I arrived there were still feather duvet and pillows. If you cannot provide the service don't advertise it.

Whats Poor:-
Restaurant and Bar staff - Myself, my partner and another couple who were staying at the hotel received a poor service on 3 separate occasions:-
1. I sat down on an outside table to enjoy some dinner. I ordered a sparking water and a lemonade to drink. Sounds like a pretty simple order. After waiting 20mins and 2 different waiters me telling the drinks were on their way I informed the manager I cannot wait any longer for the drinks and no 1 has even asked me what I want to eat while i was waiting for 20mins so I left the restaurant. I have never had to do this before.
2. During the early evening we enjoyed some drinks outside again to enjoy the views. My friends wife asked the waiter not 1 not 2 but 3 times for the bar snacks menu. After the 3rd time he brought over a bowl of crisps, this was clearly not what we asked for but we just gave up. The waiter appeared to not understand English?
3. During breakfast I asked for a pot of coffee, this was delivered swiftly but without any milk and there were no coffee cups on the table. I assumed the waiter would return but of course he didnt so again I had to ask the manager for milk and cups.
4. Finally, for some reason the restaurant has a policy at breakfast that they will walk around with a jug of orange juice rather that simply let you help yourself like most other hotels. This wouldnt be a problem if someone actually came round and poured you the juice but again you had to chase someone to come over. 2 other tables also had to ask for the orange juice to be brought over.

I have stayed in countless hotels ranging from 2* - 5*. The restaurant and bar service was the poorest I have ever seen which is astounding for an established hotel like runnymead. These issues could easily be remedied without any cost. I got the impression from the staff that as long as a customer was seated at a table their job was done - far from it......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your review of the runnymede-on-thames and I am glad that you thought the swimming pools, breakfast food and river views were good. I am however sorry that the service you received from the various outlets was not indicative of our usual standards or the feedback we regularly get about the helpfulness and friendliness of the team at the hotel.
We do indeed offer non feather bedding and I am sorry that this was not on the bed on arrival but as we were informed of this on the morning of your arrival the room had already been serviced and the request was on the housekeeper’s list to replace the bedding during their final checks of the day. My apologies this was not completed prior to your arrival.
With regards to the service in the restaurant I can only apologise for what I believe arose from a genuine misunderstanding. All our guests are seated by a host and I can only imagine that after you seated yourselves outside, our restaurant manager was not aware of your arrival so would not have been able to explain how the service works; the waitresses would have assumed that the host had explained the concept to you hence did not explain the service. Again, I am sorry for the miscommunication.
I have passed on your feedback regarding the service in the lounge bar and restaurant to the Food and Beverage Manager to review but I am sure that after reading other reviews on Leftbank and the hotel itself you would agree that your visit is not to our usual standards and I am sorry that you were disappointed.
I do hope that you will revisit the hotel in the future and may I recommend a superior or deluxe room as these are larger than the standard doubles.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

What a lovely way to spend a weekend. This hotel was recommended to us and it lived up to its reputation. We booked a weekend deal and was not disappointed at all. We were given a lovely large room overlooking the Thames and sat and watched the world go by. We ate in both restaurants and can thoroughly recommend the Lock. At breakfast we were spoilt for choice, if anyone went hungry it was their own fault. Most of the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Would we stay again - YES. Would we recommend YES!
Any negatives - only one small one for us, in the Left bank restaurant it would have been nice if the staff had waited until we had both finished eating before clearing away our plates...

Room Tip: pay that little extra for room 274 with the view and the balcony :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bernvines
Thank you for your review of the runnymede and I am pleased that we lived up to the recommendations you’d received from others. I am glad that you tried both the restaurants and that you would thoroughly recommend the Lock Bar and Kitchen.
I am pleased that you found plenty of choice in the Leftbank for breakfast and didn’t go hungry although I am sorry your plates were cleared somewhat prematurely.
Thank you for feeling you could recommend us and we look forward to your return stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had lunch in the Leftbank Restaurant for our wedding anniversary last week and would like to thank the staff for such a lovely day. It was made extra special when they brought us a little extra 'celebration' after our lunch! This was our first visit and the location is beautiful being right beside a lock. The hotel is very unusual in style and with its amazing duck display! We had cocktails and nibbles on the terrace before lunch which was a splendid buffet in the Leftbank restaurant. There was soup, salad/starter, several main courses and absolutely delicious desserts. The staff were efficient and very pleasant. After a walk along the river we returned for tea and wonderful homemade biscuits. A great day and we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel and Leftbank. I have passed on your thanks to the team and am pleased that you had a lovely day on the occasion of your wedding anniversary and that you enjoyed the little extra celebration gift given to you by the team.
I’m glad you chose to visit the Leftbank and you liked the riverside location and were able to enjoy cocktails on the terrace as well as a walk along the river.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Runnymede for a business trip and was very impressed. From the moment I saw the giant fruit sculptures on the front lawn, I realised that it wasn't going to be a dull, corporate place - hurrah! This impression was confirmed inside where there is a huge display of rubber ducks in the foyer. My room was tiny, but perfectly appointed with everything I needed.
Dinner in the main dining room was perfectly ok but not that special - I may have made a poor choice from the buffet as my colleagues enjoyed theirs. Drinks on the terrace overlooking the river - what a lovely way to spend a summer evening!
Breakfast was good, with a large range of hot and cold food.
The staff were mostly helpful and friendly and check in and check out were smooth. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I am glad that from the moment of your arrival you realised the runnymede-on-thames isn’t your normal ‘dull, corporate place’. I am pleased that you liked the giant fruit sculptures and duck display.
Although your room was small it is good to see that you found it had everything that you needed. We do have a variety of room types of which several are larger if you wish to request these next time you stay.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and found a large range of items to suit your taste. However I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your dinner as much as your colleagues. I am glad that the weather was dry and you were able to sit on the terrace and enjoy the riverside setting. I have passed on your kind comments about the team at the hotel to everyone so they are aware of how much their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to your next trip to the runnymede.
Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!