“Great service but very average”

The Runnymede on Thames
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Egham
“Great service but very average”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Arrived on Good Friday for a spa break with my fiancé and was immediately disappointed at the size of the room. In saying that, the bathroom was nice and the bed was comfy. The room was adjoining and we could hear every word from next door. The corridor was a bit shabby and the lift tiny. Went to the Spa for our treatments which we both thought were superb. Dinner was included in the Leftbank on the first night. When we arrived, it transpired it was a buffet service. Not what we were expecting. We spoke to the maitre d who got us a table at the lock bar and kitchen without any fuss. The food was good but we had to pay for an additional meal that wasn't factored into our budget. When finished we went to the bar which was very nice and chilled and the barman made my fiancé a cocktail which wasn't on the menu. My biggest gripe was the spa. Looking forward to a day chilling out by the pool, we were welcomed by screaming kids running around and single geezas who had done their workout. Children aren't allowed between 12 and 3 but otherwise it's like being at the local baths! If I had known that children were allowed in the pool area then I wouldn't have come here. Basically this is a hotel with a spa, not a spa hotel. I guess I should have done my research more thoroughly but this was far from the retreat I was hoping for. We escaped from the families for dinner but came back to the main bar for a few drinks afterwards where the service was fantastic and friendly again. Breakfast was one of the finest I've had in a hotel in this country which was a good end to the stay. All in all a disappointing experience with some good points. The spa experience which was the purpose of the trip was a huge let down and the buffet dinner was not what we were expecting. A good hotel if your taking the kids to legoland but a huge no-no for a couples relaxing retreat.

• Stayed April 2013
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you thought the bed was comfortable and the bathroom nice and that you both found the treatments in the Spa superb.
I have passed on your feedback to the bar team in the Lounge so they know their efforts in making you the cocktails and the friendly service they offered was appreciated as it is always nice to receive positive feedback.
The package you booked included dinner in our Leftbank and as you chose to swap to the Lock Bar and Kitchen there would have been a small supplement to pay but not the cost of an extra meal so please do get in touch if this is the case so we can rectify this for you. You can email me on spencerc@therunnymede.co.uk
We do include in all our confirmations that children are allowed in the spa area at certain times of the day. We have ‘child free’ times from 12.00 until 15.00 and then after 19.00 so adults can relax but I am sorry you found it a little busy which was probably due to your visit coinciding with the Easter Holidays that meant the hotel had more families than usual staying and many members’ children popping in for a swim, as it is cold outside.
I do hope that you will not be put off from using the hotel in the future and can assure you that if you come out of school holidays the spa is a relaxing place to be as shown by the 5 bubbles award given to us by the Good Spa Guide.
Craig Spencer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
wales
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for 1 night to celebrate our anniversary. I requested a bottle of sparkling wine to be in our room on arrival, and was left a note on the bed to tell me the COMPLIMENTARY bottle of Prosecco was waiting for us in the fridge!!!
We had a room at the front of the hotel which was tiny but comfortable. The hotel was very busy and we had to wait for our room to be cleaned, to pass the time, we had coffee and scones in the bar which was delicious. We didn't use the Spa facilities as there were lots of children in there but it all looked lovely.
Our meal in the Lock Restaurant was delicious, 2 courses plus 2 beers came to £60, and the buffet breakfast was gorgeous.
Unfortunately, the weather was freezing and our walk along the Thames was cut short by the biting wind but I would imagine, a visit to the hotel would be superb in the summer months.

Room Tip: Our room at the front 247, was tiny and was definitely not worth the £266 that was quoted by the hot...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal in The Lock Bar and Kitchen and that you found the buffet breakfast gorgeous and the coffee and scones in the lounge delicious. I am however sorry that you were not able to enjoy your walk as much as you hoped due to the weather but hopefully you may return when summer finally arrives so you can enjoy the river location.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place was a delight to stay at. The hotel staff were friendly. The food was amazing for the money. The only problem was the weather, and hey you can't blame the hotel for that. I will return that's for sure.

• Stayed March 2013
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the review and I am pleased that you found it a delight to stay at the runnymede, finding the staff friendly and the food amazing value. Hopefully we will have some better weather soon for your return visit.
Hereford
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were privileged to use a wheelchair friendly room at the Runnymede on 28th March. The wet room was incredible with wheelchair height basins power shower and disabled loo.They provided wet room wheeled seating for easy transfer to the room and back. A lot of serious thought had been taken and the result is a complete package which is probably the best package I have seen in a hotel in this sector. For those looking for an hotel close to Heathrow this has to be first choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for your review of our wheelchair accessible rooms. We have two of these rooms in the hotel and as you have mentioned a lot of thought went into the design to make them as comfortable as possible for both wheelchair users and non-wheelchair users. I am glad that you think these are the best facilities for you have seen in this sector and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Feltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a spa weekend with hubby, stayed in a deluxe double room which had loads of space, very comfy bed, great amenities. Spa is lovely but it is quite busy, but then it is a members health club as well as for guests. I think that maybe the child free hours should be reconsidered, maybe a longer child free period later in the afternoon/early evening would make more sense. The fitness room was more than adequate and the staff very helpful.
Ate in the left bank buffet restaurant and the food was fabulous ,def great value for money, so much choice and so yummy, ate far more than I should have!! ( thank goodness for the fitness room!) My compliments to the chef. Breakfast was great too. The only let down for me was the over priced bar, £8.50 for a large baileys is a bit much. On the bright side I didn`t over indulge.
On the whole its a lovely hotel in a lovely location, even though its a four star hotel it has a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. The staff are so friendly and cheerful, service is fantastic and I would recommend a visit. Its my second visit and it won`t be my last.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are worth paying the little extra for.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and the kind comments regarding your recent stay at the runnymede. I am pleased that you thought your deluxe room was spacious with a comfy bed and great amenities. We are constantly reviewing our offering so will review your comments about the ‘child-free’ hours in context of others.
I am glad that you enjoyed the Leftbank restaurant for dinner and breakfast with the wide variety of dishes available. I have passed on your compliments to the chef.
Thank you once again for the kind comments about the team at the runnymede; I have ensured they are all aware of your feedback as it is comments such as yours that encourage them to continue providing a high level of customer service.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have been several times for various occasions and never been disappointed.3 course buffet and a higher price but 100% worth it! Lovely time out for all members of the family. Staff paid attention and were quick with drinks and very friendly on all occasions. Worth going on a sunny day to appreciate river views and would recommend booking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 510pudding
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind review; I am so pleased that you have enjoyed our buffet on several occasions and you have never been disappointed. I am also pleased that you found our team to be attentive and friendly and I will certainly pass your feedback on to them.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to leftbank soon and hope that you and your family can return when the weather improves to enjoy dining by the river!

Kind regards,

Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I visited The Runnymede-on-Thames with a pal for a Spa weekend. The hotel is easy to find and parking is plentiful. Reception were very friendly and happily checked us in at 11 am, even though check in is not until 2 pm. We had a deluxe twin room which was adequate for us, comfortably furnished and very clean. We had a view over the car park which was not much fun although I imagine the rooms on the other side of the hotel which overlook the Thames would have been lovely. Robes and slippers were provided as were tea and coffee making facilities plus complimentary toiletries in the bathroom. The flat screen TV was decent enough to watch the Rugby on with no problems!
We used the spa pretty much as soon as we arrived. The swimming pool was quite chilly and took a bit of getting used to and the loungers made you feel as if you were relaxing in the car park, but the steam room and sauna were excellent and there is an ice cold plunge pool for straight afterwards if you're as brave as I am! We used the gym in the late afternoon which is well equipped and the staff are helpful (as are the gym regulars) although it really wasn't busy.
We had a light lunch in the hotel lounge and service was very attentive. My slight concern here was that the waiting staff do insist on clearing away your plate/glass as soon as you've set it down - quite rude when your companion is still eating. It usually sends the message that they either want you to eat up and ship out, or they're running out of crockery, but either way it is not polite.
Dinner was a bit of a disappointment. It was buffet style, much like a Thomson Tightly-packed All Inclusive. There was plenty to choose from, but none of it particularly appetising. I settled for the fish which was very dry and tasteless by the time I had weaved my way around all the tables and waited for others to move out of the way. This was in the Leftbank Restaurant where they also seem to have a crockery shortage. I won't be eating there again.
The planes stopped flying sometime close to midnight and didn't start up again until 6ish so there was plenty of time to get some sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was, once again, buffet style in the Leftbank. The staff tried to seat us on a small table on the main thoroughfare of the restaurant, but it was extremely noisy. When we voiced our objection we were immediately seated in the lounge bar area by the window over looking the river. Much nicer! We still had to brave the buffet, but at least we could eat in peace.
All in all, it was not a bad experience and was definitely good value for money. I would go again and take advantage of the facilities, but I certainly wouldn't eat at the Leftbank again. 8 out of 10 for Spa and Gym facilities and room, 10 out of 10 for staff friendliness. But I think when it comes to dining it should be considered that other restaurants are available. I would return.

Room Tip: River views are far more pleasant than "Courtyard" views which are just the car park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Runnymede_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Runnymede on Thames, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you found your room comfortable and clean and the in-room facilities adequate. I am also pleased that we were able to offer an early check-in for you and your guest! Hopefully next time you stay with us we will be able to give you a room overlooking the river.

I am glad that you were able to make the most of our spa facilities and found the staff helpful and the gym well equipped. I do apologise for the swimming pool being chilly and the loungers not being quite as relaxing as maybe you had hoped. We do check the pool temperatures regularly but I am sorry you felt it could have been hotter when you visited.

I am very sorry to learn that although you enjoyed the food in the lounge and found the service attentive, your dining experiences were spoilt by staff being over enthusiastic when removing plates both in the lounge and in leftbank. I am also sorry that you found the buffet experience disappointing as we usually receive good feedback for our food offering; perhaps on your next visit you would prefer to dine in our a la carte bistro restaurant, The Lock Bar and Kitchen.

I am pleased to see that you would return to us again and I do hope this will be some time soon.

Kind regards,

Resident / Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
Great Fosters
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 18 in Windsor

Been to The Runnymede on Thames? Share your experiences!