“Almost there”
Review of Great Fosters

Great Fosters
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked a nights stay at great fosters for valentines day as a surprise. The view of the building on arrival is very impressive, even at night. Amazing gardens and grounds to explore. Plenty of parking. Gorgeous renovated original building with great period features. The entrance room leading through to reception is particularly lovely.
We stayed in the new out building which is build away from the main building across the courtyard. But still in-keeping with the period look. Room was lovely with period features but all the modern touches. Fully equipped bathroom with underfloor heating, mood lighting etc. flat screen tv, iPod Dock, tea making, iron, fridge...
Bed was large and comfortable.
We had an issue with the bath but this was resolved.
We ate at the restaurant in the hotel. Food and service was excellent. Portion sizes were great and everything tasted fantastic. Would recommend the scallops particularly to start.
Breakfast the following morning however really tarnished our one night stay.
The service was horrible. We had to ask 3-4 times for everything! For the amount paid this is completely unacceptable. The food we got was ok but no where near as good as dinner. We were apologised to when checking out but this really meant we left on a bad note.
All together a really good hotel (if expensive) but not quite there with the breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2014
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

What a lovely surprise and a wonderful Valentines gift! I'm pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay with us but I was disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast. I would like to extend my own apologies to you and your boyfriend and hope that your breakfast experience does not deter you from returning.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed April 7, 2014

A lovely time spent at the hotel for a family wedding - great venue, food, service and accommodation. Staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to the needs of the whole wedding party.

We stayed in one of the coach house rooms which combined the history of the main hotel with the convenience of a modern room.

Would definitely recommend and will return!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed staying with us for a family wedding and thank you for your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Thank you to the staff of this amazing hotel. Our daughter organised this stay as a Christmas present and we were delighted with the gift. The hotel is glorious, the setting and gardens are beautiful, the rooms are perfect: Clean, comfortable and I particularly liked the teapot and cafetiere in the bedroom. Thank you. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Thank you Great Fosters I sincerely hope that we will be able to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

What a lovely daughter you have! I'm was delighted to read that you enjoyed your 'Christmas present' with us and that my team looked after you so well.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back (you will have to drop some hints towards the end of the year!)

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Although this hotel is not cheap, it has a lot to offer. Located a stone's throw from Windsor Castle and Runnymede (of Magna Carta fame), it really gives you the sense that you are living a part of British history. Fabulous grounds. Wonderful antique furnishings in the rooms. Great service from the staff. Excellent restaurant serving traditional British fare (some of it grown or raised on the estate). Close to Heathrow and 45 minutes to central London by commuter train. Other than a not very dry martini, there is absolutely nothing I can fault.

Room Tip: Try to get the Italian Room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding you recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed our historic building and that my team looked after you so well.

We shall ensure we make a drier martini for you on your next visit.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed at Great Fosters recently to celebrate my partners Birthday. This is our second time here and will definitely not be our last. We liked the Corridor room so much that I booked this again. Although it is on the small side, the bed and bathroom more than make up for it.

The first stay was great but the hotel was going through a refurbishment and the cocktail bar was looking tired. This time around I booked the honeymoon package which included a tasting menu dinner in the Tudor Room. What can I say? Amazing food, service and the refurbishment has made a huge difference to the feel of the place.

We arrived earlier than expected and the staff accommodated us. Although the receptionist let slip that the champagne in the room was not ready - which was meant to be surprise. This was the only minor in an otherwise positive experience.

I would recommend this place to chill out and enjoy some fine dining.

Enjoy

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for your review. I Was delighted that you enjoyed celebrating your partner's birthday with us and that you particularly enjoyed dinner in The Tudor Room.

Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed 1 night in the Tapestry Room at Great Fosters with my husband and 13 year old son.
It was a 15 minute cabdriver from Heathrow.
The staff at the hotel and in the restaurant were very attentive.
We ate breakfast on arrival (as we had an early flight) and the breakfast was fine. The latte I had was delicious and when I asked for more milk it arrived piping hot. We had dinner in the same room (the less fancy restaurant) and the fish and chips were delicious. The grounds look lovely - of course at this time of year they are not as vibrant as they would be later.
We stayed in the Tapestry Room - a huge room with king bed, old tapestries adorning the walls. Charlie Chaplin and other stars have apparently stayed in the room as well. It is magnificent to look at, but unless the time of year allows for the windows to be open, I would not recommend the room because of the musty odour. There were at least 2 large pot pourries in the room and bathroom.
The room was well heated and had very pretty views over the back garden and a view over the front.
The king bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable and my son said he could feel the springs through the mattress of the cot.
There was a good selection of different pillows on the bed.
The bathroom was beautiful with a non functional fireplace and a fabulous big tub and walk in shower.
The toilet is set up sort of like a castle guarde robe (? sp) and though I am not keen on wood for around toilets - it did fit with the decor of the room.
There is an outdoor pool - non functional at the current time.
There is a moss covered tennis court.
This hotel is used as a wedding venue and also was a grand hotel in the past. It is a beautiful building in a lovely setting - the room, though gorgeous, was disappointing to stay in because of the odour.

Room Tip: Avoid the tapestry room unless the windows can be left open.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank VenetianWannabe
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for sparing the time to write a review on your stay with us in the Tapestry bedroom.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and dinner and our stunning grounds I was surprised to read that the historic Tapestry room was not to your taste. We receive many requests for this particular bedroom since it is our largest room with 16th century Flemish tapestries, a beautiful bathroom and views of the gardens and the front of the house.

I will be inspecting the bed immediately as this is the only negative comment that I have received about this bed.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

It was pretty much faultless, beautiful house and grounds which could not be faulted in any detail. We loved the ambience, the lounge with its fragrant log fires, the attentive service, champagne, giant olives, creaking floorboards, the delicious bed and pillows, it really is very luxurious. Our only disappointment - our room was probably the cheapest - was the size of the bed and the fact that we couldn't get the overhead shower to work - probably because we were up so high the water pressure was struggling. But the view from our window over the perfect garden to the morning sun was just perfect. The staff were wonderful. Would live there if I could!

Room Tip: The view from the garden side was breathtaking and got the morning sun, but the front of the buildin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Although you did stay in one of our smaller double rooms I was happy that you found the bed and pillows very comfortable. I loved your photos of the view from your room!

I'm glad my team looked after you - please do come back and stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Travelodge Egham
Travelodge Egham
#3 of 3 in Egham
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!