“A very special place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egham
Reigate
“A very special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

Thank you to the staff of this amazing hotel. Our daughter organised this stay as a Christmas present and we were delighted with the gift. The hotel is glorious, the setting and gardens are beautiful, the rooms are perfect: Clean, comfortable and I particularly liked the teapot and cafetiere in the bedroom. Thank you. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Thank you Great Fosters I sincerely hope that we will be able to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
What a lovely daughter you have! I'm was delighted to read that you enjoyed your 'Christmas present' with us and that my team looked after you so well.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back (you will have to drop some hints towards the end of the year!)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Although this hotel is not cheap, it has a lot to offer. Located a stone's throw from Windsor Castle and Runnymede (of Magna Carta fame), it really gives you the sense that you are living a part of British history. Fabulous grounds. Wonderful antique furnishings in the rooms. Great service from the staff. Excellent restaurant serving traditional British fare (some of it grown or raised on the estate). Close to Heathrow and 45 minutes to central London by commuter train. Other than a not very dry martini, there is absolutely nothing I can fault.

Room Tip: Try to get the Italian Room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding you recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed our historic building and that my team looked after you so well.

We shall ensure we make a drier martini for you on your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed at Great Fosters recently to celebrate my partners Birthday. This is our second time here and will definitely not be our last. We liked the Corridor room so much that I booked this again. Although it is on the small side, the bed and bathroom more than make up for it.

The first stay was great but the hotel was going through a refurbishment and the cocktail bar was looking tired. This time around I booked the honeymoon package which included a tasting menu dinner in the Tudor Room. What can I say? Amazing food, service and the refurbishment has made a huge difference to the feel of the place.

We arrived earlier than expected and the staff accommodated us. Although the receptionist let slip that the champagne in the room was not ready - which was meant to be surprise. This was the only minor in an otherwise positive experience.

I would recommend this place to chill out and enjoy some fine dining.

Enjoy

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your review. I Was delighted that you enjoyed celebrating your partner's birthday with us and that you particularly enjoyed dinner in The Tudor Room.

Please come back and see us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed 1 night in the Tapestry Room at Great Fosters with my husband and 13 year old son.
It was a 15 minute cabdriver from Heathrow.
The staff at the hotel and in the restaurant were very attentive.
We ate breakfast on arrival (as we had an early flight) and the breakfast was fine. The latte I had was delicious and when I asked for more milk it arrived piping hot. We had dinner in the same room (the less fancy restaurant) and the fish and chips were delicious. The grounds look lovely - of course at this time of year they are not as vibrant as they would be later.
We stayed in the Tapestry Room - a huge room with king bed, old tapestries adorning the walls. Charlie Chaplin and other stars have apparently stayed in the room as well. It is magnificent to look at, but unless the time of year allows for the windows to be open, I would not recommend the room because of the musty odour. There were at least 2 large pot pourries in the room and bathroom.
The room was well heated and had very pretty views over the back garden and a view over the front.
The king bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable and my son said he could feel the springs through the mattress of the cot.
There was a good selection of different pillows on the bed.
The bathroom was beautiful with a non functional fireplace and a fabulous big tub and walk in shower.
The toilet is set up sort of like a castle guarde robe (? sp) and though I am not keen on wood for around toilets - it did fit with the decor of the room.
There is an outdoor pool - non functional at the current time.
There is a moss covered tennis court.
This hotel is used as a wedding venue and also was a grand hotel in the past. It is a beautiful building in a lovely setting - the room, though gorgeous, was disappointing to stay in because of the odour.

Room Tip: Avoid the tapestry room unless the windows can be left open.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VenetianWannabe
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for sparing the time to write a review on your stay with us in the Tapestry bedroom.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and dinner and our stunning grounds I was surprised to read that the historic Tapestry room was not to your taste. We receive many requests for this particular bedroom since it is our largest room with 16th century Flemish tapestries, a beautiful bathroom and views of the gardens and the front of the house.

I will be inspecting the bed immediately as this is the only negative comment that I have received about this bed.
Penzance
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

It was pretty much faultless, beautiful house and grounds which could not be faulted in any detail. We loved the ambience, the lounge with its fragrant log fires, the attentive service, champagne, giant olives, creaking floorboards, the delicious bed and pillows, it really is very luxurious. Our only disappointment - our room was probably the cheapest - was the size of the bed and the fact that we couldn't get the overhead shower to work - probably because we were up so high the water pressure was struggling. But the view from our window over the perfect garden to the morning sun was just perfect. The staff were wonderful. Would live there if I could!

Room Tip: The view from the garden side was breathtaking and got the morning sun, but the front of the buildin...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Although you did stay in one of our smaller double rooms I was happy that you found the bed and pillows very comfortable. I loved your photos of the view from your room!

I'm glad my team looked after you - please do come back and stay with us again.
Menlo Park, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I really debated giving this property 3 stars but the overall experience I had was very good so put it in at 4. I just finished a brief stay here and must say on one level I was very impressed. The facility on the outside looks impressive but once you check into your room - you realize that this is a very nice setting but the rooms are far below par with what you expect from such an amazing looking exterior. The room I stayed in seemed very very rustic - low ceilings, awkward angles, bathroom fixtures that took many turns to work and the strong smell of fireplace smoke in my room made for a disappointing room setting. However, the service was really really great, the people who work there were incredibly nice and the food seemed quite good. I had a walk around the grounds one morning and it was just spectacular. Overall I would visit this property again but if they want to be a premier lodging they really need to upgrade the quality of the rooms OR you need to just understand you are going there for charm and a period feel vs a top notch hotel. The ambiance outside of your room is fantastic - but inside the room - sub par in my view. Also - for travelers like me who prefer a good wi-fi access - the hotel delivers a decent connection. Sadly I could not get it to work in the lounge and bar area but I had it working just fine in my room (where I did not want to hang out).

This property is worth checking out but just know going in that the idea is not to spend much time in your room - which btw comes with a key that you have to use to lock from the INSIDE - which is rarely something you need to do. Also - the hotel is close to Heathrow if you are tired of the cookie cutter hotels located near Heathrow and want to feel your own period escape.

As you can see in photos I really like the grounds.

Room Tip: Don't get the Chief Justice Room unless you like a good view and the smell of a fireplace and lo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I understand you were part of a large group that stayed with us. We do offer a variety of room types and styles and these were all explained to your company's event organiser. The bedrooms were randomly allocated and it was unfortunate that you were given one of the smaller ones.

On a more positive note I was glad that enjoyed our history and gardens.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Great Fosters was an outstanding experience for us. The hotel, the property, the service, the accommodations, the food; all excellent. Cesar and Daniel made our trip very special with their attention to detail and kindness.

Room Tip: If you can get a view of the sculpted gardens, you are in for a treat, however, the entire property...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments, in particular how Cesar and Daniel helped to make your stay memorable. I will ensure that they see your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in our part of the world.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#2 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!