“Business event!”

Great Fosters
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egham
“Business event!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely stunning hotel! Beautiful setting. Gorgeous building. Our room was just incredible, the detail and space was amazing. The only down side was the shower, very little space & hot water took a little time to come through. Other than that, great! Staff and food - great! Would defo stay again!!

Stayed February 2014
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us and for your positive comments.

I'm sorry that the hot water took a little longer to come through than usual and will be looking into this.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Bexley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

My Husband & I recently stayed at Great Fosters Hotel for our 3rd Wedding Anniversary, on 2nd January 2014 and what a thoroughly pleasant experience it was too! Right from the start we were made to feel welcome in this glorious Hotel steeped in history.... although slightly spooky, we had a marvellous time! So much so, that we decided to stay another night!!

That wasn't a problem for the management, as the attention to detail we received from the Food & Beverage Operations Manager David Benavent was phenomenal!! He even had all of our belongings moved to another room (as our original room was booked out for our second nights stay) we moved into the new room as if we had already been there.... There was nothing that David wouldn't do for us to make our stay just that little bit special! We had afternoon tea booked for the afternoon of our anniversary which I must say was to die for! David offered us complimentary champagne to have with our afternoon tea, to celebrate our anniversary, which we thought was really sweet of him.... We were stuffed at the end and couldn't eat it all, however the leftover goodies were presented back to us in the most gorgeous gift box... The only problem was, that by this time we had decided to stay another night, so the left over goodies would not have survived another 24 hours.... No problem for David.... he told us to get reception to page him on our departure, which we did....to our surprise, he came personally to see us off, and present us with 2 gift boxes filled with a fresh lot of pastries that we missed out on the day before! How great was that!!
The estate grill restaurant was brilliant, with David again making sure everything ran smoothly... We ate there on both evenings, which was full of diners, and had a great atmosphere... the food was delicious and you felt like you could have stayed there all evening, nothing was rushed... and all of the staff were very friendly and courteous... there was a great big fire burning in the room which made you feel really cosy....the staff made sure that the fire was topped up with logs, to keep it burning throughout the night.... The wine sommelier Steve, certainly knew his stuff, and wasn't shy in encouraging you to try his recommendations.... which were superb!! Every wine he recommend complimented every dish perfectly! Thank you Steve!
But what topped my evening, was the fantastic sharing desert "Pear Tart Tatin with Orange and cinnamon ice cream" (which I am ashamed to say I had all to myself) was the most delightful thing I have ever tasted in my life, it was so light and delicate, the taste was divine! I had it two nights running. And just to make sure I did not miss out, David specifically told the Chef to make sure there was one put aside with my name on it, on the second evening!...... Not to be disappointed, David served it up, with his usual smile and jovial chat.... I asked him a very cheeky favour, as I so wanted to know the recipe for this dish, which I understood was asking a lot of the Chef, as I know how they like to keep these things close to their chest..... David said he would ask, and see what he could do?
.... 15 minutes later, to my amazement David came back with two pieces of paper..... He casually handed over two photocopies of the recipe for the desert and the ice cream. I was blown away! That's what you call customer service!! After another few complimentary drinks on the house.... we retired to our beautiful room..... In the morning we awoke to the most fantastic views overlooking the beautifully kept gardens and moat.... We felt like the King & Queen of Egham!

Thank you David and all your staff for making our 3rd Wedding Anniversary one to remember!

We won't forget the fantastic time we had in your beautiful Hotel.....We will definitely be coming back for another visit! Steve & Mandie Davis

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and full of character, but the rooms over looking the gardens are memorable...
1 Thank Steve D
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review on your stay with us last month and a belated Happy Anniversary.

Your review makes for wonderful reading and I will certainly ensure that David and the kitchen team see it!

I do hope that you will come and celebrate your 4th wedding anniversary with us but, of course, we would love to welcome you back before then!
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Having stayed again earlier this month have to say its still our favourite hotel.
All the staff and management that we meet are always tentitive to your needs, the various bedrooms (historic, coach house and cloisters that we have stayed in) are first class and spotless, the breakfast choice is great and the menu from the Estate Grill is fantastic. The gardens are also a real favourite with both of us.
Again as i have said before well done to everyone involved with this hotel, you are a credit to the industry and cannot wait to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are superb
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for such a complimentary review - we love being your favourite hotel and look forward to welcoming you back!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed overnight for a business meeting. Had dinner in the Grill - Kathryn looked after us very well - very attentive service. This was mirrored at breakfast. Room superb as were the conference facilities

• Stayed January 2014
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and will ensure Katherine sees your wonderful comments.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

The reason for us staying at the hotel was because we were celebrating the end of a Round Table era by having a special meal in a private suite with 20 or so friends so we decided to book a room. I am so glad we did! We arrived at the hotel late afternoon - just driving up to the hotel was a wow moment! The cute front door in a large front door was an eccentric moment and it just went on from there. The main hall is amazing with a real fire and seating area with comfy sofas -it must have been fabulous at Christmas time. We went to book in and the girl on the desk was so friendly and helpful - unfortunately I cant remember her name. A young man, Fredrico ( I think) helped us with our bags and took us up to our room in the main house, no lift so hard work on very creaky stairs but what a room! The Duke of Wellington room was amazing, a sitting room, bedroom and a lovely bathroom - what luxury!
Some of our friends had arrived about the same time so we met them in the Estate Grill Bar which was busy with people having cream teas, drinks etc. I have to say that initially service was a little haphazard - nobody seemed to realise that we were there until we called a waiter over. We ordered 2 smoked salmon bagels - expensive at £9 but full of smoked salmon, warm bagel with butter - yum. My pot of tea came in a silver teapot! and a complimentary cookie the size of a saucer. All very tasty and relaxing before the main evening event.

We went upstairs to change and the only thing I would say is the lighting in the bedroom is very dim so I had to apply my makeup in the bathroom which was awkward as there was no shelf under the mirror above the basin - a good light on the dressing table would not go amiss!
We had our celebration meal in the Mowbray Suite which started with a champagne reception - all the waiters were very attentive and made sure we all had drinks on arrival. The room was lovely just the right size for us. We had pre ordered our meal from set choices I had chosen Smoked salmon with winter pickles and crème fraiche - another chance to sample the smoked salmon - delicious! Main was rack of lamb which unfortunately was not to my taste as it was very red I and a few others sent it back to be cooked further - no problem at all the staff took it away and were very apologetic. Dessert was chocolate cake - a beautiful trio on a plate all the desserts looked so pretty. All in all it was a lovely evening and the staff could not do enough for us - thank you! Particularly as we knew there was a huge function in the Tithe Barn which must have put extra pressure on the kitchen.
Breakfast in the morning was a very quiet affair as we were feeling delicate! Again we had to wait for service - I asked for tea, 10 minutes later we were asked again what we wanted to drink and got it about 20 minutes later and my husband asked for a tomato juice which arrived about half an hour later. We were not told about the buffet with fruits etc but as we were with others who had stayed there before they knew so we followed suit. There seemed to be a lot of people serving some maybe not so experienced? The food was very tasty.
After breakfast and booking out which was quick and simple we all went for a stroll around the grounds which are fantastic though some what water logged after the flooding. We would definitely like to come back again - maybe during the week as I think weekends are busy with functions which did seem to affect service a little. If I could I would rate the service at reception as excellent, service at our function excellent and the service at breakfast and in the Estate Grill Bar as good which is why there is an overall of very good and not excellent.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to stay in the main house so you can soak up the wonderful atmosphere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your overnight stay and will be passing on your thanks to all concerned. I was that you and your friends all had a good time celebrating with us!

I was disappointed to read your comments about the rather slow service at breakfast and will be discussing your feedback with The Estate Grill team.

We look forward welcoming you back.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here for my brothers wedding in December 2013. This place is amazing. The building is stunning, inside and out, the rooms (we were in the coach house) are modern and well equipped but have keep their original charm. The beds were so comfortable, the service was excellent and the wedding itself went off without a hitch. As expected the food was excellent too. I would love to go back but its a long was from Australia! Thanks Great Fosters for an amazing stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the coach house are larger and more modern. The rooms in the main house are very quain...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GreatFosters1931, at Great Fosters, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us when you visited to attend a wedding. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the wedding and your stay, particularly as you came such a long way!

We would love to welcome you back if you are ever in our part of he world again.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Looked forward for a relaxing weekend break for me and my wife away from the kids, but was greatly disappointed with this hotel.
Positives
-Beautiful historical building as you approach it and in most part within
-Well maintained attractive gardens
-Cosy fireplaces
-Good complimentary wifi (however, this is fairly common now in most hotels around the world)

Negatives, quite a few I'm afraid
-Room
We stayed in a historical, Panel 2 room, although the fours poster bed was nice, the room needs some updating. It is poorly lit and lampshades rather old. Sofa is way past its date and frayed. Sink had cracks in it, and needs changing. Small patch on ceiling plastered and unpainted
Although we paid a lower discounted rate of £255 for the room with breakfast, for a normal rate of £400 plus, you would have thought that more money would be spent on these rooms to justify its price tag.

-Restaurant
Very average and manager dealing with this section very dishonest
We got ready and went into the restaurant, although our table was ready we decided to sit at the bar and have a drink. It was all a bit confusing as there was no dedicated barman and waiters/managers kept coming in and out of restaurant preparing drinks for the people within the dining area. We had a table booked, but were given the restaurant menu at the bar, very strange, as I would have thought that this would be given to us when seated at the table.
In any case, we decided to go into the restaurant, and were seated in a position which I was not too happy with. When I mentioned it to the restaurant manager, he immediately replied by saying restaurant "we are fully booked", even though the place was 70% empty. What was the issue with just changing tables? We therefore continued at the same table, albeit not too happy. 10 minutes later another couple were seated next to us, and as soon as the husband sat down, I noticed he was not happy with the seat... he went off, and low and behold, their seats were changed. I was livid, called the manager over, and asked why they were reseated, he had the cheek to say that in fact they were seated at the wrong table and they were moved to the correct one, what an insult and what a blatant lie. After a firm few words, he reluctantly reseated us.
With that cleared we remained positive, but unfortunately food was average.
Starters: One tiny scallop in the shell with mashed potato was overpriced at £15; The tart was poor with butternut squash seeds still inside, and chewy pistachios, which were like black seeds, not reminiscent of the colour and texture of pistachios.
Main: Lobster, too rich and overpowering with the parmesan and mustard on it. Moreover both lobsters were very chewy.
We did not have desert.
We left the restaurant at 10pm and had noted that there we still a few tables free all evening.
We decided to relax by the fire in the foyer, and were dumbfounded to see a reserved sign on it, the other fire in adjacent room, also had a reserved sign. This is wrong. As a guest, I am not only paying for the room, but for the whole package of staying at the hotel and this includes me siting at the fire whenever I wish. Anyhow, we took no note of the sign and sat and ordered drinks by the fire. And for the hour we sat nobody turned up.
We ordered tea and a glass of wine, and as the waiter tried to pour the tea, he realised that there was no water in the teapot! And had to go back and fill it up!!

We finally decided to go to our room at around 11pm. We were not able to go to sleep due to a private dining party in the room directly below us. We were subjected to a whole hour of people laughing and talking loudly. The noise was so loud you could hear almost every word. Called reception at 11.30pm to complain, nothing came of it, again complained at 12pm, and 10 minutes later the guests below vacated. This is obviously and issue that the hotel is aware of, and why didn't we get a warning? or why don't they find a solution and carpet the room for some sound insulation??? Terrible

We eventually got to sleep, got up and made our way to breakfast. Breakfast was good, not fantastic, served food and toast cold. A small buffet at the bar by restaurant, we were not told of, and later noticed it as I went to toilet! Another guest complained of this, as they were not informed.
The restaurant manager came and apologised about the noise in the evening beneath our room and told us the general manager would "do something with our bill"
Upon checking out, no sign of general manager, but another manager seemed to know about the issue and again apologised. A receptionist presented the bill for the room, our evening meal less wine and some small extras. However, I advised him I had paid for the evening meal and the wine, the night before to the restaurant. He then presented me with a bill for the room with some extras for tea. I pointed out that they were to discount the cost of wine which was £40, but instead he just discounted the extra at around £10. Very poorly handled and unprofessional. I did not ask for a discount it was suggested by them.
I am not after reductions on my bill but more so a relaxing weekend with my wife. I am happy to pay, but in return expect a certain level of service and professionalism, as this is what I am used to staying in 5 star establishments all over the world. It is a shame that this place did not live up to expectations, not great but frankly a below average Fosters. I would not recommend this place and sadly will not be returning.

3 Thank Yessevan
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay at Great Fosters.

Without entering into lengthy debate about all the individual points you raise I feel that I must make one or two comments.

We find that many of our guests like to enjoy an aperitif in one of our bars whilst perusing the menu so I’m a little perplexed that you should find this so unusual. I gather from my Restaurant Manager that we did eventually move you to an alternative table. You may well ask why this didn’t happen earlier in what you perceived to be an empty dining room. I have to say that this is somewhat of a mystery to me; although the restaurant was fully booked (with a number of subsequent relays) there should have been sufficient ’scope’ to find an alternative table when you were seated. As such, I hope you will accept my apologies for such intransigence.

With regard to the unacceptable noise levels emanating from The Tudor Room, I have to say that this is a very rare occurrence. Normally, this room is a very intimate restaurant and to date we have never received any complaints about noise. However, The Tudor Room was closed last Saturday and we very unusually had a small private party that we had anticipated would be departing at 11.45pm. I understand that once you called reception the party did retire to a separate lounge, albeit that it took ½ an hour. Your complaint from the previous evening was passed to me the following morning by the Night Manager. Unfortunately, I was in another area of the hotel when you departed and despite my instruction to credit the wine you had consumed with dinner, by way of an apology, my receptionist failed to do this. I hope you will consider that this was a genuine mistake and allow us to contact you separately to arrange reimbursement of the wine.

I’m sorry that you don’t wish to return but should you change your mind I hope that you will contact me personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,477 reviews
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!