“Beautiful Day”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egham
hampton
“Beautiful Day”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I attended the wedding mentioned below, and have to say it was a beautiful day, from the location, the food, especially the attention to detail by the staff. It was a minor detail that we couldn't sit outside for long, and it really didn't take away any of the enjoyment we had. Would recommend this location to anyone, and will definitely go back again to try the afternoon tea!

Room Tip: I didn't spend the night so cannot comment on some sections.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the wedding you attended and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I recently held a wedding lunch at the hotel and the day was amazing! The hotel is stunning and the staff are exceptional! My whole experience from start to finish was perfect! Katie Carpenter from the events team was so accommodating, nothing was too much trouble! On the day the staff made a feel so special with all the additional attention to detail! We arrived to being greeted at the front of the hotel with a Buck's Fizz! Our photographer took longer than we thought taking his photos in the amazing grounds of the hotel and to our delight the staff brought the drinks and canapés out to our guests! As it says in the title it was truly a perfect day!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm so pleased that we managed to help create 'your perfect day' and hope that you have some wonderful memories (and photographs!) of your wedding day.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

On Sunday 23rd june my husband and I took my brother and sister-in-law for lunch in the grille.
The service and politeness was fantastic.Everyone is very friendly and the lunch was superb.
At first we thought the portions were a bit small,when in fact they were perfect(a case of eyes bigger than belly).after lunch we walked around the gardens and looked at all the art on display,then went back for coffee and treats.
Would highly recommend this location for lunch and afternoon tea.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hazelmustoe
Thank you for your review on your recent visit to The Estate Grill for Sunday lunch. I was was delighted to read that you enjoyed your lunch and art and also had an opportunity to wander through the grounds to see our contemporary sculpture exhibition too.

Our current Jeremy Houghton exhibition closes at the end of August and will be replaced with a Mike Prinsep exhibition.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

On Friday the 14th of June my wife and I attended a wedding reception at Great Fosters and were very impressed by the building and the very expansive grounds however the bride and groom had a lunchtime 'slot' and we had been asked to take lunch between the hours of 1 to 4 in the afternoon, in a room on the first floor of the tythe barn. During this time another wedding party was taking place on the ground floor. Lunch was excellent although my chicken mousse had two bones in it, which came as a bit of a shock but the attention to detail and quality was generally very good. During this time some of our group wandered downstairs to smoke in a small central courtyard. The morning had been overcast but by the end of lunch brilliant sunshine was flooding the room so come 4 o'clock we were keen to take our drinks outside and sit in the sunshine. We were asked if we could wait a little longer in our room. With that, several members of our party retired to a central courtyard to smoke and soak up the sun. We were joined by the bride and it was all very pleasant until a 'manager' approached us and asked us to leave as the other bride didn't want us around! We did as asked and returned upstairs. A little later we were told that we couldn't leave the room, use the downstairs bar and enjoy the grounds!! Drinks would brought to us!! So we'd have waiting staff up and down stairs all the time. I can't believe that there was absolutely no provision for two wedding parties being there at the same time which was both incredible and unfathomable. To me it spoilt what was a special day at a special venue. So if you're planning a similar event check the 'rules' but the venue appears to reserve the right to change it's mind it sees fit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VictoriaPlatformNine
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

I am somewhat surprised to read your comments since we have just had a wonderful thank you e-mail from the bride telling us how much they and all their guests had enjoyed their wedding day at Great Fosters. My colleagues have informed me that when you were politely asked to move you were offered to prepare tables for you on the terrace overlooking the gardens.

On the occasions when we do have two weddings at the hotel we go to great lengths to ensure that all parties have a great day. Both wedding couples are informed when we have two weddings taking place, and arrival times are staggered to ensure that each wedding is treated individually and has plenty of time to enjoy our gardens and grounds for photographs without either wedding party feeling that they are being intruded up on.
Alfriston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 5th anniversary back in December 2012. One of the reasons I chose Great Fosters was the fantastic proximity to Heathrow Airport as we had an early flight in the morning and due to the occasion, fancied somewhere a bit special. I booked the room over the phone with a gentleman called Chris who was very helpful and I was offered a fantastic rate.

We arrived and were warmly greeted by the reception staff and the General Manager Cathy who made sure our luggage was taken care of so we could make our way to the restaurant (we arrived somewhat later than I had expected!). My wife was unaware of our travel plans as our onward trip to Vienna in the morning was a surprise, and the hotel did an excellent job of ensuring she did not find this out.

We were offered 2 glasses of champagne by the fireplace in the cocktail bar while we looked over the dinner menu. The sommelier was very knowledgable but at the same time never coming across as "snooty" as so many can. He suggested some wonderful wines to try with the dishes we chose.

We had a superb meal in the Oak Room, and I can see why they were awarded 3 Rosettes. The ingredients were of an incredibly high quality. The head chef and his team have created some very exciting dishes, that were beautifully presented. The restaurant manager was professional and friendly, and really made us feel welcome in the restaurant - again, so many head waiters and restaurant managers of 3 Rosette establishments can have an arrogance about them, but not here, just very enjoyable service from all the staff.

We stayed in the Coach House which is the fairly recently modernised building, just across the courtyard. The room was very well maintained with a lovely shower and big, comfortable bed. There were some very nice teas and coffee available in the room which helped our 5am wake up call! From what I have seen on their website there are some amazing bedrooms in the main house, and all of different styles, giving plenty of choice, unlike so many big chain hotels that decorate everything in the same way.

I was able to have a good conversation with one of the duty managers, who was telling me about many of the exciting plans that Great Fosters had lined up for the forthcoming year. It's always reassuring to me when the staff and management speak fondly of their workplace.

I would highly recommend Great Fosters to anyone. It is such a treat to find such a well run, privately owned luxury hotel. If I am ever needing to fly from Heathrow again, I would definately stay at Great Fosters again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James D
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will come and stay with us again when you are next in our part of the world.
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just come back from a wonderful experience at Great Fosters. The Head Gardener gave an excellent tour and very interesting tour, the garden is fascinating. Lunch was really lovely and the staff were very warm and welcoming. Would definitely go there again, well worth the £35 it cost us each.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your visit to the hotel yesterday.

We have had wonderful feedback from our first horticulture and heritage luncheon. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the day and will pass on your thanks to our Head Gardener, Russell and the rest of the team here.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We've stayed at the hotel twice now, both times we were in the main building and the rooms have been spectacular. We've also been several times for dinner and while GF never fails to impress, they have outdone themselves with their new restaurant 'The Tudor Room', the food was amazing and the sommelier really knows his stuff (quiz him on the history of the building as well as wine!). This really is a special place, try it for yourself!

Room Tip: 'Queen Anne' is a beautiful room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alx09
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, which I shall be sharing with the rest of the team.

I'm so pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us and in particular your most recent visit when you dined in one of our new restaurants The Tudor Room at Great Fosters.

Please come and stay with us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!