“Great hotel great fosters” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Fosters

Great Fosters
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egham
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hotel great fosters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We love staying here. And now they have a grill room AND fabulous fine dining at The Tudor Room.
The cuisine is simply fantastic.
Do not miss it
Just off the M25 10 minutes from Heathrow makes it easy to get to and get anywhere.
Ascot 10 minutes.
Windsor about the same

1 Thank Grant M
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager - Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm so glad that you love staying with us and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Returned for a nostalgic trip as we spent our honeymoon here 31years ago. Upon arrival we walked into the lounge to have some tea only to be removed as we had not booked! We were then marched down to the bar and sat on the last remaining table by the door. As builders were drilling, banging and crashing in the rooms next door I asked for a different table. We we told there were none. Listening in to the others in the bar they we're all on Travel Zoo deals! Clearly they took preference over full paying residents? One of the waiters at least shut the door which reduced the noise but it was still loud and certainly not relaxing. We then asked for a cream tea to be told they could only offer cake as we had not booked!
We decided to go for a walk, leaving through the little front door to collect coats. Each time we returned the same member of staff asked whether we were checking in, on the 4th occasion I asked him to remember our faces please as it became a little irritating!
The room was fine with good towels, linen etc. The view over the roof was not brilliant. The hotel remains old world and the staff were ok but no special effort. All were foreign with very strong accents and some with poor English.
Breakfast food was freshly cooked and good. Unfortunately the waiter first poured coffee all over the table cloth and then proceeded to do the same with my tea pot-twice! Whilst we were the only ones in there the head waiter made no attempt to transfer us to another table and we were left as we were. The builders started up at 8.15am so we had drilling through our breakfast as well as our tea!
Overall very disappointing.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MajorMac
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to contact me personally in order that i may discuss your review and make amends. I can be contacted on 01784 433822 or via my e-mail address cathy@greatfosters.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, who went to university in Egham 10 years before. His old classmate was getting married, of course he wanted to go, unfortunately it was a time when my work schedule was a little nuts, so we traveled from Boston, just for three days.

Staying at Great Fosters was a treat. Our room, Cabriolet, was in the coach house was nicely appointed and very spacious. There were 2 weddings that weekend, and neither of them were even noticeable to us. The only disappointment with our room was that there was a slight issue with the lock functioning properly. It was minor, but it was why I docked them a star.

We had breakfast there twice as well as afternoon tea and every meal was enjoyed. Breakfast was held in a different room each morning, which is a little tricky when you haven't had a cup of coffee yet! Some signs labeling the rooms would have been helpful.

All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful and I mean EVERYONE! The grounds looked lovely from every room we were in, I was unfortunately feeling lazy and didn't actually go out to experience them. In retrospect, it seems that it may have been a devious plan on my part, now I can come up with a reason for my boyfriend to bring me back! I would love to stay here again and would definitely recommend it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on your stay with us. I was delighted to read that you so obviously enjoyed your visit and hope that you have managed to persuade your boyfriend to bring you back - there is so much that you haven't seen! Thank you for your comment about the lock - I have asked our Maintenance Manager to look at this.

We hope to see you soon!
Twickenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Set just outside London this was a break for my wife and I, our first night away from our 1 year old. We were installed in a room across the courtyard but were swiftly moved when I complained I couldn't actually stand up in 30% of the room due to ceiling height. The following room was bigger and came with a steam room that was great. The air con in the room however was not responsive to controls and blew cold air all night - This is the source of my 3 rating. We couldn't be be bothered to complain about this as it had been along day and pulled the covers up instead.

We dined in the big hall and th surroundings were excellent. It was a fantastic ancient hall with timber panelling throughout. The service was excellent though we would have liked to have sat (or stood) in the bar for a drink before dinner. This was not possible apparently without booking in advance and certainly not if you turned up for dinner on time. When we went to dinner the food was very good but I was spoiled by being cold.

Breakfast was excellent with a full choice of everything you could want and of high quality also.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review.

Whilst was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us I was very sorry to learn that your room did not appear to get warm. If only you had called my reception team I am sure that this could have been rectified immediately.

I have spoken with our Maintenance Manager and he will be looking at the heating in this particular room to ensure it is functioning correctly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

An interesting week end, service wonderful, charming place, must be lovely in the summer, very good food and excellent atmosphere. The gardens are attractive. The lake is worth visiting.
Accomodation is laid out in several diferent buildings. We were there in a very cold March and it wasn't a good idea moving between the rooms of the various people in our party and going from the main restaurant, in our evening finery, to find our way back to our accomodation in the cold night air.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the central building, especially in Winter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. Please do come back and see us in the Summer - we have 50 acres of wonderful gardens to explore, an art exhibition, sculpture exhibition and our outdoor heated pool opens in two weeks time!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went for a wedding at Great Fosters and stayed the night in the Cloisters. The rooms are stunning. Comfortable bed, vaulted ceiling, large bathroom, extremely luxurious. Breakfast was really nice although quite expensive so it is advisable to book this with the room.

On arrival, staff came rushing out to take our luggage. Reception were extremely helpful and we were allowed to use a room to change before the wedding. Food at the hotel is divine.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The hotel and it's grounds are absolutely breathtaking.

Room Tip: Cloisters rooms are superb.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments, which I will share with the team.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the wedding you attended here and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed here as part of a wedding party, and have to say it was one on the best hotels I have had the pleasure to stay at. The service is definitely a strength of this venue with a professional manner than retains a welcome warmth from reception to porters to waiters. The venue its self is true to the online pictures, as are the rooms.
The food is lovely the the culinary experience executed with perfection. For a venue like this the price of food and drink is what is to be expected ( £6 a drink).
The room was spotless, they all seem to have sofa' s and all the modern comforts you would want ( floor heating, iPod doc, luxury accessories etc). The only two negatives, would be that our heating did not work, someone did come out but ended up giving us a portable heater, and the bar at the wedding closed at 12, would have been nice if it was a tad later. However even this did not dampen our enjoyment of this venue.

This wedding was perfect, and the guest relaxed - well done foresters, I would visit you again. One of one three hotels in the world I can say that of .

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on your recent visit to us for a wedding.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed both the wedding and your overnight stay and pleased that you would like to return.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#2 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!