“Really nice and something a little different”
Review of Great Fosters

Great Fosters
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, who went to university in Egham 10 years before. His old classmate was getting married, of course he wanted to go, unfortunately it was a time when my work schedule was a little nuts, so we traveled from Boston, just for three days.

Staying at Great Fosters was a treat. Our room, Cabriolet, was in the coach house was nicely appointed and very spacious. There were 2 weddings that weekend, and neither of them were even noticeable to us. The only disappointment with our room was that there was a slight issue with the lock functioning properly. It was minor, but it was why I docked them a star.

We had breakfast there twice as well as afternoon tea and every meal was enjoyed. Breakfast was held in a different room each morning, which is a little tricky when you haven't had a cup of coffee yet! Some signs labeling the rooms would have been helpful.

All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful and I mean EVERYONE! The grounds looked lovely from every room we were in, I was unfortunately feeling lazy and didn't actually go out to experience them. In retrospect, it seems that it may have been a devious plan on my part, now I can come up with a reason for my boyfriend to bring me back! I would love to stay here again and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager - Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on your stay with us. I was delighted to read that you so obviously enjoyed your visit and hope that you have managed to persuade your boyfriend to bring you back - there is so much that you haven't seen! Thank you for your comment about the lock - I have asked our Maintenance Manager to look at this.

We hope to see you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Set just outside London this was a break for my wife and I, our first night away from our 1 year old. We were installed in a room across the courtyard but were swiftly moved when I complained I couldn't actually stand up in 30% of the room due to ceiling height. The following room was bigger and came with a steam room that was great. The air con in the room however was not responsive to controls and blew cold air all night - This is the source of my 3 rating. We couldn't be be bothered to complain about this as it had been along day and pulled the covers up instead.

We dined in the big hall and th surroundings were excellent. It was a fantastic ancient hall with timber panelling throughout. The service was excellent though we would have liked to have sat (or stood) in the bar for a drink before dinner. This was not possible apparently without booking in advance and certainly not if you turned up for dinner on time. When we went to dinner the food was very good but I was spoiled by being cold.

Breakfast was excellent with a full choice of everything you could want and of high quality also.

• Stayed: February 2013
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

Whilst was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us I was very sorry to learn that your room did not appear to get warm. If only you had called my reception team I am sure that this could have been rectified immediately.

I have spoken with our Maintenance Manager and he will be looking at the heating in this particular room to ensure it is functioning correctly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

An interesting week end, service wonderful, charming place, must be lovely in the summer, very good food and excellent atmosphere. The gardens are attractive. The lake is worth visiting.
Accomodation is laid out in several diferent buildings. We were there in a very cold March and it wasn't a good idea moving between the rooms of the various people in our party and going from the main restaurant, in our evening finery, to find our way back to our accomodation in the cold night air.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the central building, especially in Winter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. Please do come back and see us in the Summer - we have 50 acres of wonderful gardens to explore, an art exhibition, sculpture exhibition and our outdoor heated pool opens in two weeks time!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went for a wedding at Great Fosters and stayed the night in the Cloisters. The rooms are stunning. Comfortable bed, vaulted ceiling, large bathroom, extremely luxurious. Breakfast was really nice although quite expensive so it is advisable to book this with the room.

On arrival, staff came rushing out to take our luggage. Reception were extremely helpful and we were allowed to use a room to change before the wedding. Food at the hotel is divine.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The hotel and it's grounds are absolutely breathtaking.

Room Tip: Cloisters rooms are superb.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments, which I will share with the team.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the wedding you attended here and hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed here as part of a wedding party, and have to say it was one on the best hotels I have had the pleasure to stay at. The service is definitely a strength of this venue with a professional manner than retains a welcome warmth from reception to porters to waiters. The venue its self is true to the online pictures, as are the rooms.
The food is lovely the the culinary experience executed with perfection. For a venue like this the price of food and drink is what is to be expected ( £6 a drink).
The room was spotless, they all seem to have sofa' s and all the modern comforts you would want ( floor heating, iPod doc, luxury accessories etc). The only two negatives, would be that our heating did not work, someone did come out but ended up giving us a portable heater, and the bar at the wedding closed at 12, would have been nice if it was a tad later. However even this did not dampen our enjoyment of this venue.

This wedding was perfect, and the guest relaxed - well done foresters, I would visit you again. One of one three hotels in the world I can say that of .

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on your recent visit to us for a wedding.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed both the wedding and your overnight stay and pleased that you would like to return.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This wonderful old hotel was a delight from start to finish. Our room (although it was small - clearly the economy end of the hotel!) was very comfortable and imaginatively furnished. The staff could not have been more helpful, and this was combined with friendliness which made us feel very at home. The dinner and breakfast were delicious, and the hotel was about to open a grill, which I am sure will be worth a return visit. Our afternoon tea was served in the lounge by the open fire, and we had coffee in the snug little bar after dinner. We had already visited the wonderful grounds last summer for an open air sculpture exhibition, and had wanted to return. We were not disappointed by anything.

Room Tip: Ground floor would be good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments!

Please do come and see us again soon. We have just opened TWO new restaurants and have another outdoor sculpture exhibition plus art exhibitions in The Estate Grill over the Summer.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here with my partner for one night for our anniversary, the hotel is beautiful. On arrival, the staff on reception were very welcoming, we were showed to our room, however it was the wrong room, I had booked a suite in The Cloisters & we were taken to The Coach House, the room in the coach house was very nice & modern but too small. I explained that I had not booked this room and he rang down to reception. Reception said that there was only one room left in The Cloisters which was disabled, they offered for us to look and pick which one we were out of the two. We did choose the disabled room in the cloisters as it was bigger but I was still quite dissapointed with the room as it was not what I had booked. There was a wedding at the hotel so I guess they had double booked, even though I was disapointed with the room, I still loved the hotel & thought the staff were doing there best to make our stay perfect. Unfortunatly there was no kettle in our room but when I phoned reception they had one brought up to us within 10 minutes. We went for tea & scones, the scones were the tastiest I've had! We then walked around the gardens which are wonderful & I imagine they would look even better in the summer. Dinner was very good, small portions but we didn't leave hungry. Breakfast was also nice. All in all we had a lovely break despite a couple of hiccups, the staff were fantastic. I would definatly like to return in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
1 mi away
Travelodge Egham
Travelodge Egham
#3 of 3 in Egham

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!