Great Fosters
1,254 results
All reviewsestate grilltudor roomhunting lodgecoach housethe main houseafternoon teaitalian roomhistoric roomsstunning gardensbeautiful hotelhenry viiimolton brown toiletriescocktail barsteeped in historytithe barnwindsor castlemichelin star
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We visited Great Fosters for my partners birthday and got a really good deal from Travel Zoo too. A very interesting place, loads of history and lovely gardens. Delicious scones, a lovely evening meal. Cold plates for a hot breakfast not so good but all in all a very nice stay.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your break and would like to offer you my apologies for the cold plates at breakfast. This is most unusual for us and I will be looking into this.

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night at this wonderful hotel with our daughter & son in law to celebrate my partners 70th birthday!
We couldn't have been treated better!
We were warmly welcomed at reception by Darren & upgraded to a delightful suite!
Afternoon champagne tea with with the most delicious scones we've ever tasted!
May I have recipe please?
We had pre dinner drinks in the bar by a lovely open fire!
Our evening meal was beautifully cooked,
as was our Full English breakfast!
The Manager Richard had a bottle of champagne delivered to our suite which we enjoyed! Many Thanks Richard!
Our bed was extremely comfortable with pillows so soft! We slept like logs!
The team at Great Fosters should be very proud of themselves! Our every need was catered for!
We didn't want to leave but will return as soon as possible!
Many Thanks to you all for making Michaels birthday so memorable!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Newsons

Thank you for writing a review on your recent celebratory stay with us.

I'm so pleased that my team made your stay special and that you all enjoyed celebrating your partner's special birthday.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next celebration.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had an over night stay here recently, while everything was prefect some of the resturant service was a bit chaotic. The service for the afternoon tea was very slow, and at the evening meal, towards the end they just lost the plot. The quality of the food exceptional, apart from the lovely bread basket which is warmed up to indicate freshly baked bread, the trouble is when it goes cold the bread goes rock hard, why do resturants do this? Also the service got worse as the meal went on and the wrong orders were being delivered to the wrong tables and it was getting slower and slower. We had another tables coffee delivered with our deserts, then had to ask several times for our own coffees and wait ages for it, (we were offered complimentary liquors, which we declined) and to cap it all we had someone elses wine added to our bill. Breakfast again was lovely but if you wanted any other sort of egg apart from scrambled you had to wait ages.
Apart from all this, would I stay again? Yes, and make it a warmer time of year (not snowing) so that I could explore the gardens and the history of the buildings.

Room Tip: Only stayed in one which was excellent
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Great Fosters as part of their £199 package which included a standard room, 3 course dinner in the resturant and breakfast the next morning.

The hotel when you first arrive is beautiful and as soon as you walk in you know your stay will be special.
Our room was a standard, enough space for the both of us, flat screen tv, bathroom immaculate clean and bath and shower were lovely.
My only fault of the room was the bed, on the small size for a double if you ask me, and wasn't the comfiest bed I have ever slept in, but wasn't awful....maybe it's me just being picky.

When we arrived we dropped our bags and had lunch in the bar area, next to the open fire, was lovely. Food was lovely, selection of sandwiches and my husband had a seafood platter which he really enjoyed.

Later that evening we had dinner booked, the resturant is being refurbished and a wedding was taking place in another main room, but where we had dinner was still a lovely room with wooden beams and of a lovely setting.
The food was of a Michelin star status and cannot fault one aspect of it. Both had the lamb which was cooked to perfection and melt in the mouth.
All 3 courses was amazing.

There was a wedding party during our stay and I must say the only time we became aware of it was during dinner, our table was right next to the window and we could hear the music, but didn't put us off too much. After dinner we went to have a nightcap in the bar and were shortly after joined by a big group of the wedding party, being a bit loud and having shots etc. The manager came and sent them back to the wedding where the party was taking place. He couldn't apologise enough and made sure our drinks were on the house. A little touch that we thought was very kind.

All in all we had a fantastic weekend away the hotel was beautiful and hope to return again one day.

• Stayed: February 2013
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager - Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the food.

I was sorry that the wedding party encroached on the Cocktail Bar - each wedding has their own private bar so I'm not quite sure why they felt it necessary to move into another area! On the positive side I'm glad that my team looked after you and apologised.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful one night stay in this hotel full of character with beautiful panelling, tastefully chosen furniture and roaring log fires. It is the opposite of everything nasty that you might associate with corporate. The service is exceptional with all staff trained to a very high standard and keen to help in every way. Food is sublime, from real tea and freshly cooked scones and clotted cream to die for through to dinner with all manner of delicious tastes and then the ultimate breakfast with much of the food sourced on the estate. Wow!
It was memorable and a very big thank you to all the staff who made our wedding anniversary celebration such a special one, especially Alper.

Margaret Garbutt

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review.

I was delighted to read your comments and so pleased that my team made your wedding anniversary so memorable. I will certainly ensure that your kind words are passed on to Alper.