“Fantastic stay!!”
Review of Great Fosters

Great Fosters
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Egham
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night at this wonderful hotel with our daughter & son in law to celebrate my partners 70th birthday!
We couldn't have been treated better!
We were warmly welcomed at reception by Darren & upgraded to a delightful suite!
Afternoon champagne tea with with the most delicious scones we've ever tasted!
May I have recipe please?
We had pre dinner drinks in the bar by a lovely open fire!
Our evening meal was beautifully cooked,
as was our Full English breakfast!
The Manager Richard had a bottle of champagne delivered to our suite which we enjoyed! Many Thanks Richard!
Our bed was extremely comfortable with pillows so soft! We slept like logs!
The team at Great Fosters should be very proud of themselves! Our every need was catered for!
We didn't want to leave but will return as soon as possible!
Many Thanks to you all for making Michaels birthday so memorable!

1  Thank Newsons
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager, Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on your recent celebratory stay with us.

I'm so pleased that my team made your stay special and that you all enjoyed celebrating your partner's special birthday.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next celebration.

There are newer reviews for Great Fosters

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had an over night stay here recently, while everything was prefect some of the resturant service was a bit chaotic. The service for the afternoon tea was very slow, and at the evening meal, towards the end they just lost the plot. The quality of the food exceptional, apart from the lovely bread basket which is warmed up to indicate freshly baked bread, the trouble is when it goes cold the bread goes rock hard, why do resturants do this? Also the service got worse as the meal went on and the wrong orders were being delivered to the wrong tables and it was getting slower and slower. We had another tables coffee delivered with our deserts, then had to ask several times for our own coffees and wait ages for it, (we were offered complimentary liquors, which we declined) and to cap it all we had someone elses wine added to our bill. Breakfast again was lovely but if you wanted any other sort of egg apart from scrambled you had to wait ages.
Apart from all this, would I stay again? Yes, and make it a warmer time of year (not snowing) so that I could explore the gardens and the history of the buildings.

Room Tip: Only stayed in one which was excellent
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Great Fosters as part of their £199 package which included a standard room, 3 course dinner in the resturant and breakfast the next morning.

The hotel when you first arrive is beautiful and as soon as you walk in you know your stay will be special.
Our room was a standard, enough space for the both of us, flat screen tv, bathroom immaculate clean and bath and shower were lovely.
My only fault of the room was the bed, on the small size for a double if you ask me, and wasn't the comfiest bed I have ever slept in, but wasn't awful....maybe it's me just being picky.

When we arrived we dropped our bags and had lunch in the bar area, next to the open fire, was lovely. Food was lovely, selection of sandwiches and my husband had a seafood platter which he really enjoyed.

Later that evening we had dinner booked, the resturant is being refurbished and a wedding was taking place in another main room, but where we had dinner was still a lovely room with wooden beams and of a lovely setting.
The food was of a Michelin star status and cannot fault one aspect of it. Both had the lamb which was cooked to perfection and melt in the mouth.
All 3 courses was amazing.

There was a wedding party during our stay and I must say the only time we became aware of it was during dinner, our table was right next to the window and we could hear the music, but didn't put us off too much. After dinner we went to have a nightcap in the bar and were shortly after joined by a big group of the wedding party, being a bit loud and having shots etc. The manager came and sent them back to the wedding where the party was taking place. He couldn't apologise enough and made sure our drinks were on the house. A little touch that we thought was very kind.

All in all we had a fantastic weekend away the hotel was beautiful and hope to return again one day.

• Stayed: February 2013
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager - Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the food.

I was sorry that the wedding party encroached on the Cocktail Bar - each wedding has their own private bar so I'm not quite sure why they felt it necessary to move into another area! On the positive side I'm glad that my team looked after you and apologised.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful one night stay in this hotel full of character with beautiful panelling, tastefully chosen furniture and roaring log fires. It is the opposite of everything nasty that you might associate with corporate. The service is exceptional with all staff trained to a very high standard and keen to help in every way. Food is sublime, from real tea and freshly cooked scones and clotted cream to die for through to dinner with all manner of delicious tastes and then the ultimate breakfast with much of the food sourced on the estate. Wow!
It was memorable and a very big thank you to all the staff who made our wedding anniversary celebration such a special one, especially Alper.

Margaret Garbutt

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review.

I was delighted to read your comments and so pleased that my team made your wedding anniversary so memorable. I will certainly ensure that your kind words are passed on to Alper.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

If you're looking for a romantic, historic, cosy and quirky setting for a wedding then Great Fosters is perfect. Several of us stayed here for one or two nights for my daughter's wedding in Feb 13. The night before I slept in The Tapestry Room, which is the largest room in the hotel. It was too big just for me but really came into its own the next day when the bride and bridesmaids arrived. We had been given a complimentary late check out so there was plenty of time as well as ample space for us all to get ready in style. It was expensive but turned out to be well worth the money.
The wedding itself was a delight. The Orangery was perfect for the ceremony and the stunning Tithe Barn and Painted Hall ideal for the reception and celebrations afterwards. All the staff we found to be very helpful but at the same time unobtrusive and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Luckily the weather was unseasonally warm and sunny so we were able to go outside into the beautiful grounds for the photos.
I transferred to a smaller room for the second night and although comfortable and well serviced it really was bit too small for a bride's mother plus accompanying paraphanalia. This is my only slight gripe and would recommend checking carefully beforehand regarding the size of your room particularly if booking for a special occasion. The rooms do seem to vary a lot in size, which is to be expected in a historic house like this, and my other daughter's room, which cost the same as mine, turned out to be much bigger. It didn't matter too much though as I was so tired I could have slept anywhere!
The food provided for the reception was excellent and there is a good choice of hot and cold food at breakfast. Apart from breakfast and the wedding we didn't eat in the hotel so I can't comment on the standard of food generally. The home made cookies or shortbread served with tea and coffee are well worth breaking the diet for though. I'd love to go back sometime to sample afternoon tea or Sunday lunch.
Great Fosters is a gem ideal for weddings, romantic breaks, recharging your batteries or, well, any excuse really.

Room Tip: Check the size of your room as they are quite varied. Also some are very traditonal and historic whi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us for your daughter's wedding.

I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed the occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Amazing hotel in a beautiful setting. We booked a standard room and although it was small it was well equipped with an excellent view over the gardens.

We had a great evening with dinner in front of a huge fire in the barn. Excellent food and great service especially the sommelier.

Only small gripe is that every table in the bar/rooms were booked up for afternoon tea and that as residents we would not be able to have a drink. The restaurant manager quickly resolved this issue.

I cannot imagine anyone not loving this place.

• Stayed: February 2013
GreatFosters1931, Hotel Manager - Cathy Nolan at Great Fosters, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit. We must have been particularly busy for afternoon tea but I'm glad that my restaurant manager was able to find you a table.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had booked a room for 1 night at Great Fosters as part of my plan to propose to my girlfriend.
From the moment we arrived, everything was perfect. The view as you come up the drive is stunning, made all the better by a sunny day.

On approaching reception, the staff were attentive, friendly and very accomodating. I had booked a junior suite in the Coach House, which is across the courtyard from the main historic building. I did so because I wanted modern fittings and facilities, but also, being an old property, I wasn't sure if there would be a lot of noise and floorboard creaking in the main house!

Our room was perfect. We didn't have a view, but it was very quiet, the shower was amazing, the heating just right, and our room had it's own corridor, so we were guaranteed privacy and peace. If you want to book a room in the Coach House, I recommend the 'Cabriolet' room. All other rooms in the Coach House share the same corridor.

All facilities are in the main house. The architecture is stunning, the open fireplaces warm and inviting, and it's the perfect place if you are either looking for peace and quiet, or a romantic, relaxing weekend / night away from a busy life.

Afternoon tea was amazing - we went for the champagne option, and although it cost £35 each, everything about it was perfect - the sandwiches, cakes, pastries, and the view over the Japanese bridge in the gardens. You can choose to have tea in the drawing room or the bar, and both are lovely, so if you're staying for 2 nights, experience both.

Staying here, you feel like royalty. From our experience, nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff, when asked for something. I've seen and read a lot of the reviews on this site, and I have to say, others must have had rare, unfortunate experiences. I always worry, when I read mixed reviews, which way my stay will go, but on this occasion we couldn't have asked for a more perfect experience.

In fact, the service, ambience and experience was so perfect that I decided to cancel all the other arrangements I had secretly made elsewhere, and extend our stay to 2 nights.

The ornamental gardens are breathtaking.They are well kept, spacious, and feel very private, even if there are others sharing them with you. The moat that runs around the gardens offers a perfect mirror reflection of the Tudor property, so look out for the Japanese bridge. There are some 55 acres to roam in, so if the weather is damp, be sure to bring wellies with you!

To sum up... On the positive side, I would highly recommend Great Fosters for the following reasons:

Beautiful location and stunning building / gardens
Attentive staff who make you feel special
The cosy drawing rooms with their open fires
Afternoon tea
Great food at dinner
It makes a perfect retreat from everyday life
I love children, but the place was child-free, so you were guaranteed peace and quiet
The management know all about the history of the place, so you can learn plenty!

The only possible downsides (and these are picky and minor):

If the weather is bad, you can't enjoy the gardens to their best (especially without wellies!)
Because the hotel is so quiet, if you have rowdy guests in the drawing rooms, you're forced to listen to their conversation and it can be disturbing.
The winding corridors and random doors can be disorientating at first, leaving you searching for things, but the staff soon point you in the right direction.
If you want afternoon tea, be sure to book in advance

And that's it.

This hotel is anything but cheap, but for the experience you receive (or that we did), it's well worth the expense. If you're looking for somewhere to relax, get away from things, and feel pampered and spoilt, you will come to the right place.

The biggest disappointment was leaving and going home!

Ignore the negative reviews - enjoy your stay.

(If it helps, we're a couple in our 30s, and the guests were a mix of ages)

Room Tip: * If you want history, stay in the main house. * If you want modern facilities (rain shower / flat...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Congratulations on your engagement!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed view. I'm glad that my team was able to give you a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egham
The Runnymede on Thames
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Great Fosters? Share your experiences!