“Lovely”

Lough Erne Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Enniskillen
“Lovely”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a night for work and was accomodated in a lodge. The setting is marvellous. The country house feel of the hotel is lovely, open fires and dark wood. Dinner was delicious and the service attentive and efficient. Breakfast was equally good.

• Stayed March 2013
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear "Wardenhodges"

I too love the Lodges, they remain the unsung hero of Lough Erne Resort. We are now having more and more requests for these as opposed to the hotel rooms, so I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay there.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review, and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.

Ferghal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just back from Lough Erne Resort, great hotel made special by the attitude of the staff.
This is our second time there and both times have been great.
Lough side Grill is worth visiting, good food at very reasonable price
Try afternoon tea!

Dear “Sfc 133"

It was great to have you back with us once again, and I am delighted that we lived up to experience of your previous stay.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts, and I was especially delighted to note your recognition of the staff, they are the people who make Lough Erne what it is.

Moira, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in both the loughside lodges and the main hotel. The setting is stunning in the heart of the fermanagh lakes. The main hotel is castle like in appearance and is very impressive looking. The reception area is very classy traditional with a lovely open fire with turf burning just to make you feel welcoming. Both hotel and lodges are of a high standard yet I personally prefer the lodges as the bathrooms are huge and stunning and the living area gives even more space. The pool is very good and changing facilities are excellent. I did not try the spa. Breakfast was very tasty with a great emphasis on local produce. I had a meal in the club house and it was nice enough but dont be expecting a big portion. I believe the main resturant is similar with small portions and you are encouraged to try a couple of food items. Food and beverages are expensive but then you expect this in a resort of this standard. I have had a four course steak Wedding dinner here and it was excellent. In fact this Venue for a Wedding was very good with great staff. I also played golf on the two golf courses. The older Castle hume course is just average however the Faldo course is certainly as good as any you will ever play and the drainage is the best I have seen. So bad weather will certainly not effect a golf trip to Lough Erne. The 1st time I stayed here it was a fortune but now it has become sensibly priced and I certainly would recommend you try this hotel at least once as it should not disapoint.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear "Simon D"

Thank you for your recent posting regarding your stay with us here at Lough Erne. You certainly appear to have availed of all that was on offer.

The Faldo Course really is a great course, we are spoilt in that we never lose it to rainfall, only ever to frost. I am delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast, Noel and his team do work hard on the local produce, and it is rewarding for us to see this recognised.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you back with us again at some stage in the future, where if I can be of any assistance, do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Much about the Lough Erne Resort is excellent, but it's not quite the real thing. It's generic five star fare rather than an authentic Ulster meal. Recently constructed, it pretends to an earlier age and does so with great effect. The rooms are great, staff very good, food super, situation idyllic. In fact, if I was Macon Leary (see The Accidental Tourist) I'd have no complaints at all. But I'm hot Leary so I've three.
Having a library is a great idea and to dedicate it to Gordon Wilson is absolutely fantastic. So, why not put some decent books on the shelves? Readers Digest condensed books and some old(but not nearly old enough to be antique and interesting) encyclopaedias? surely not. There are some coffee table books around but they're just laughing at the stuff on the shelves. Why not put good local books on the shelves and either protect them from theft with microchips or sell them at reception and make a few quid? Anyone who goes into a library will want to browse the shelves, don't disappoint them. Or have a shelf or two of second hand paperbacks by local authors, gathered from local charity shops and have a donations box to send back to the charities Gordon Wilson would love it. And a library is the perfect place to do a wee bit of work, but only if the chairs are the right height for the desks!
My second quibble is, why have a 'full Irish breakfast', when you can have an Ulster Fry? Why settle for second best when you are in the perfect position to have the real McCoy. By the way, if you go for a bar meal in the evening, have two, they're pretty small.
Third quibble. The spa and pool were out of action when we were there but we were warned in advance and got a cheap rate so that's not the problem. What's a Thai spa doing in an Ulster hotel? Why not an Irish spa? There are plenty of them about and plenty of authentic approaches to healthy pampering.
So, Macon Leary, this is just the place for you.

Dear "UlsterFryNo1"

Thank you for your extremely kind words, and especially for telling me who Macon Leary was, I would have had to look him up. Thank you also for taking the time to touch base with me personally regarding the Library and in truth I do believe there is some merit in your point regarding the books on display. Indeed I have commissioned my Concierge liaise with the local library to see if there is any way that we can improve and enhance the offering.

As regards the Ulster Fry, I think that I might take it one step further and describe this as the Fermanagh Fry, it even has a nice ring to it. We work hard at sourcing local produce, so the new name would make sense.

However, the Thai Spa is unique, in the product that it offers, and those who carry out the treatments cannot be found elsewhere in Northern Ireland to my knowledge. At Lough Erne, it is about that little bit of difference, the individuality that will set us apart, which is why we love the Spa so much.

Thank you for staying with us, and for touching base personally once again.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Terrible place, spa closed, no hot water in the room and a 30 minute queue for breakfast - and staff do a great line in blaming guests for the hotels shabby management. Still when I suggested this was not up to a 5 star standard they very generously offered to take £50 off my £680 bill.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ConalDublin
Dear "ConalDublin"

I was disappointed to read your recent review, and that we did not live up to your expectations and indeed our own high standards.

Please accept my and indeed those of my team, sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you encountered during your recent visit to Lough Erne. Yes, The Spa has been closed due to a recent fire, and it would have remiss of us if we had not made you aware of this in advance of your booking.

I was surprised to note your opinion that it took 30 minutes to be seated for breakfast, for whilst we were undoubtedly busy on that particular morning, it is rare for it to take so long for our guests to be seated.

Thank you for initially deciding to stay with us, I am sorry that the combination of events led to your disappointment, but hope that if the opportunity should arise and that you were to revisit Lough Erne, that you would let me know in advance, where I would be delighted to assure you of my personal attention.

Yours sincerely

Ferghal Purcell
Reviewed March 7, 2013

having visited the resort before i decided to stay for a weekend. a planned evening meal was a highlight, great food and service i cannot fault the experience. very obvious 5* waiter service, from Tony, was appreciated without being overbearing. a walk around the last 4 holes of the course in mid-morning has very few golfers who have not reached this point yet, allowing total tranquility. this is to be the planned venue for this years G8 summit and as such much work will be completed over the next few months.... this can only improve the resort surroundings for the summer and beyond so maybe save any visit till then.
any minor niggles are on the outside edges of the course where they approach the hotel itself. here some landscaping would improve the asthetics with an appropriate planting scheme

Room Tip: Loughside view rooms worth any extra.
Dear 1_mnth_1

Thank you for joining us once again, and I am delighted that you got the opportunity to walk some of the golf course, it is extremely beautiful, especially early morning.

I will be delighted to share your kind words with Tony, and the whole team. You are correct as regards the landscaping, and we do have a major program planned for the forthcoming months, which I am hoping will put the finer touch to the appearance.

It was lovely to hear from you, and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I first visited Lough Erne when my wife and I were looking for wedding venues in 2009. We instantly fell in love with the hotel and booked it for our wedding in 2011.

We have had many enjoyable visits to Lough Erne building up to our wedding and since the wedding. It makes the 2 hour drive worthwhile. We love the relaxed country feel, mixed with the 5 star treatment. The food is perfect no matter where you eat and the service is excellent.

The whole wedding package service before, during and after our wedding could not have been better. Our entire list of guests loved the hotel also.

We have since spent the last two New Year Eve's at Lough Erne enjoying the great food and entertainment.

Although the Spa is currently under construction we have enjoyed the Spa before, and if the new Spa is anything like the previous one, it will be 5 star.

Already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Dovecot Suite twice and loved the room, but we stayed in the Faldo Suite on Ne...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graeme K
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear "Graeme K"

It was lovely having you both back with us again this past New Year’s Eve, and especially to see that you enjoyed your stay so much. Sorry about The Spa, it has been a challenging time but we hope to be up and running again in time for Easter.

You do have to wonder where the years are going in that it was 2009 when you got married, and now hopefully we will have you back with us again in 2013.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if there is anything that I can do for you.

Ferghal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Knockninny Country House & Marina
Mahon's Hotel
Mahon's Hotel
#1 of 1 in Irvinestown

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!