I took my daughter to the Lough Erne Resort for her birthday, with a friend, for one overnight in November 2012. Everything was o.k. and our room was lovely, staff very friendly etc. The first disappointment was the bar food, it was awful but I said nothing because I didn't want to spoil my daughters special evening. There was a hen party that weekend and so entertainment was provided in the bar. It was good fun but my daughter and her friend needed to go and get something from our room but quickly returned saying that someone had vomitted over the floor on the corridor leading to our room. I went with them and managed to get the vomit from the door handle over my hands, and the mess on the floor over my shoes, even though there was one member of staff assigned to clean it up at that stage. However, we didn't return to the bar again because I had to have a shower and the fun was out of the birthday celebrations for the girls. The smell wafted under the gap in the door all evening and I woke up several times with the strong smell of vomit and disenfectant. The next morning brought no change so breakfast was most unpleasant, I felt sick and the girls were still squirming from the experience. All this was compounded by the smell of cigarette smoke from one or two of the staff members serving breakfast and one young man who had definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed.
I complained to the reception staff about our experience and their reply was that they couldn't be held responsibible for the actions of guests. They said they did what they could under the circumstances and because it was a Saturday night they couldn't get it properly attended to until Monday.
I was still annoyed about it and so phoned the hotel and spoke with the duty manager and got a similar standard reply. I don't remember any apology being offered. He said that after a staff meeting they realised that a contingency plan needed to be in place for cleaning of vomit.
I understand it's a 5* hotel but I've stayed at better 3 and 4* hotels. I have spoken to management at other 4* hotels since and they all have contingency plans in place for deep cleaning of carpets and soft furnishings in the event of accidents and especially where vomit is concerned. The duty manager offered to upgrade my room on my next stay and I didn't find his offer satisfactory. A letter of apology or a meal or another nights stay at the hotel may have taken the sting out of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Erne Resort, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, host venue to the G 8 Summit 2013 is the first AA and NITB Five Star Hotel in Northern Ireland and was awarded 'Best Hotel' at the 2011 Northern Ireland Tourism Awards. In 2010, it was awarded ‘Golf Resort of The Year’ by the Irish Golf Tour Operators Association. The Resort is the ultimate expression in old world heritage and new world luxury, set on its very own 600 acre peninsula, between Castle Hume Lough and Lower Lough Erne, just outside Enniskillen, with stunning panoramic views from almost every vantage point. This unique luxury Fermanagh hotel’s facilities include: •120 luxury Rooms and Suites•Two Championship Golf Courses including The Faldo Course, a Golf World & Golf Monthly Top 20 Course (UK & Ireland) and the Championship Castle Hume Course•Rory McIlroy has been its Touring Professional representing The Resort around the World•The Golf Academy, a state of the art Practice and Tuition centre•Authentic Thai Spa, with Thai Therapists using Thai Products and techniques•A variety of innovative Dining Experiences with menus composed by Award winning Chef, Noel McMeel. Including: The Catalina Restaurant, The Blaney Bar with an Exclusive collection of 101 Irish Whiskies; The Loughside Bar & Grill, a variety of Afternoon Teas in The Garden Hall and The Halfway House located behind the 9th Green of The Faldo Championship Course•6 Conference & Meeting Rooms•Cygnets The 'BIG' Experience for our younger guests (0-11 years)•One of Ireland’s most romantic Wedding Venues. All this combined with warm, friendly and attentive service make Lough Erne Resort one of the world’s most magical destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Lough Erne Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Erne Hotel Enniskillen
- Lough Erne Enniskillen
- Lough Erne Resort Enniskillen, Northern Ireland