“TERRIBLE - no contingency plans for ememergcy cleaning”
Review of Lough Erne Resort

Lough Erne Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Enniskillen
Belfast, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE - no contingency plans for ememergcy cleaning”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I took my daughter to the Lough Erne Resort for her birthday, with a friend, for one overnight in November 2012. Everything was o.k. and our room was lovely, staff very friendly etc. The first disappointment was the bar food, it was awful but I said nothing because I didn't want to spoil my daughters special evening. There was a hen party that weekend and so entertainment was provided in the bar. It was good fun but my daughter and her friend needed to go and get something from our room but quickly returned saying that someone had vomitted over the floor on the corridor leading to our room. I went with them and managed to get the vomit from the door handle over my hands, and the mess on the floor over my shoes, even though there was one member of staff assigned to clean it up at that stage. However, we didn't return to the bar again because I had to have a shower and the fun was out of the birthday celebrations for the girls. The smell wafted under the gap in the door all evening and I woke up several times with the strong smell of vomit and disenfectant. The next morning brought no change so breakfast was most unpleasant, I felt sick and the girls were still squirming from the experience. All this was compounded by the smell of cigarette smoke from one or two of the staff members serving breakfast and one young man who had definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed.

I complained to the reception staff about our experience and their reply was that they couldn't be held responsibible for the actions of guests. They said they did what they could under the circumstances and because it was a Saturday night they couldn't get it properly attended to until Monday.

I was still annoyed about it and so phoned the hotel and spoke with the duty manager and got a similar standard reply. I don't remember any apology being offered. He said that after a staff meeting they realised that a contingency plan needed to be in place for cleaning of vomit.

I understand it's a 5* hotel but I've stayed at better 3 and 4* hotels. I have spoken to management at other 4* hotels since and they all have contingency plans in place for deep cleaning of carpets and soft furnishings in the event of accidents and especially where vomit is concerned. The duty manager offered to upgrade my room on my next stay and I didn't find his offer satisfactory. A letter of apology or a meal or another nights stay at the hotel may have taken the sting out of it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LesleyMcA
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear "LeslieMcA"

It is the mark of a good operation by the manner in which it responds and handles the unusual and unexpected. In this case we clearly failed at every opportunity to address and redeem the situation in your eyes, and for this we unreservedly apologise.

Incidents and accidents happen in all hotels, all the time, but we do not need a contingency plan to address every one of these. Yes, the particular incident that you refer to, can be especially difficult to address, and indeed on this occasion this proved necessary. However, that is irrelevant, we handled it poorly.

Please allow me to extend our sincere apologies once again, to you, your daughter and her friend for the disappointment that they experienced as a result of this.

Yours sincerely

Ferghal Purcell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My partner and I were in Enniskillen and stopped of at the lough Erne Golf Resort to have a look at it having heard how beautiful it was, we just had lunch in the Blaney Bar but I was extremely happy with the meal having went for the Malaysian Curry with Noodles, having read so much negativity about the service I am delighted to report the staff were very friendly, attentive yet not invasive.

It's a short review to reflect my short trip, safe to say the place is simply stunning!

P.S. Great little touch of pancakes being served to us for Shrove Tuesday when we sat down.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete H
Dear "Pete H"

I am delighted that you enjoyed the pancake on arrival, it is amazing how little things make the difference. I have passed on your kind words to the whole team and we are delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us.

We do hope that you have the opportunity to return to us again at some stage in the future.

Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Recently spent a night in this fabulous hotel. I was part of a group who travelled from nearby Monaghan to play golf, stay over and all I can say is WOW. The accomodation is probably more that you would expect and the setting would be hard to match, the views, the walks and facilities to die for. The staff from the manager Adrian McNally to the porters, golf staff could not be more helpful and friendly. There was a slight problem with the spa and leisure facilities which were undergoing renovations but we spent our time on the golf course and sampling the restaurant and bar produce. The golf course was in superb condition even though the weather has not been kind but we were lucky both days were dry. Hard to believe how dry gthe course was for early February. Well done Adrian and good luck for the G8. Will be back.

Room Tip: No matter where you are you will love it. Stayed in the lodges which had great facilites.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Plusfore
Dear "Plusfore"

There is nothing like a dry course to make a golfer enjoy his stay with us. We are blessed to have one of the best courses in the country and when combined with its drainage, we as golfers have no excuse for not enjoying the experience.

Having said that, I am delighted that the rooms, food & service mirrored your overall experience, and I will be delighted to pass on your kind words to my Operations Manager, Adrian and his team.

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive experience, and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again at some stage in the near future.

Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently I visited the Lough Erne Resort for some lunch in the Blaney Bar, I was very disappointed in the whole experience. We arrived and sat down, the waiter arrived and asked if we wanted a drink, I said my wife was parking the car and we would wait until he arrived, he turned to my mother and father and insisted they ordered their drinks as if to say don't tell me what to do. It made me feel very uncomfortable,I actually felt like leaving , I knew I was about to spend a lot of money,and I wasn't happy.Once drinks arrived, we were handed our food menus very quickly,we decided to move seats as we were sat at a very low style coffee table which my elderly mother found difficult to eat at.We were told we could only sit in a certain area , and again I felt like I was at school and shouldn't speak so we stayed were we were at even though we weren't happy.The food arrived I had ham and smoked cheese ,there was very little of either in them, mum and dad had fish and chips which were excellent , my wife had roast beef sandwich, again more bread than filling.Mum and Dad had bread and butter pudding for desert which was excellent ,I had 3marshmallows with a few strawberries and a lot of melted chocolate, I was charged six pounds for this felt cheated.Coffee was perfect , would have been more 5 star treatment if shortbread or tray bake had of been served complementary with it.Hastings hotels to me are more 5star standard than this hotel.The bill came to 80 pounds ,it was simply not worth it.I came away feeling cheated of what I had hoped to be a lovely evening .I hate to sound negative but when you spend a lot of money you expect to enjoy yourself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank David K
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear "David K"

Thank you for your recent comments which you posted in regards to your recent visit to Lough Erne.

I am sorry that you felt cheated for we work hard at delivering that little extra, particularly in respect of our food & service levels. However, we were clearly lacking on this occasion. Please accept our apologies and extend these to your parents for the disappointment that they experienced during their visit.

If the opportunity should arise for you to return, please do not hesitate to contact me personally, in order that I may afford you my personal attention.

Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked in for 3 nights as a bit of a treat although staff couldn't find our booking but provided us with tea while they sorted it. We were being joined by another couple whose wedding anniversary was being celebrated the next day. Staff confirmed their booking, however when they arrived the next day there was no booking. Eventually got this sorted but took the shine off the whole trip. Service was poor for a 5 star resort, food was good but expensive for what it was. Golf course was excellent and the walks around the complex were great. So top marks for setting and zero for service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MikePauley
Derry, N. Ireland
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here for a night in January, after finding out that the main hotel building was closed we decided to go ahead and stay at the resort but were not sure what to expect. While the hotel is closed the golf club house is used for all meals and check in. As soon as we arrived the staff could not be nicer or more helpful. We were told we were in a lodge and given a map, but it was only a few minutes away. We had the ground floor of the lodge, huge bedroom, seperate living room and lovely bathroom. The room was very comfortable and had everything we needed. The only downside was that we had no view of the lough. (lodge 12)
We ate in the resturant/bar and both the food and service were excellent as was the breakfast in the morning. Plan to go back later in the year when the hotel is opened again.

Room Tip: Lodge 12 did not have good views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is just about a 5 star hotel in beautiful surroundings, a large lough and golf course with names like Faldo and a more recent home grown champ Rory Mc Ilroy littered around the place. The rooms don't have air con, but are large with v comfortable beds, a table, 2 chairs and the usual golf magazines on the table, which in our case, remained unopened, binoculars to view the lough and beyond, a well stocked over - priced mini bar and a good sized bathroom. Food is 5 star superb regardless of whether its breakfast, snacks, lunch, afternoon teas or dinner,if this quality drops its no longer 5 star. Breakfasts: cold/hot buffets with the usual fare; bacon, sausage, scrambled egg and so on, cold meats, brie, fresh fruits: pineapple, melon, orange, the usual fruit juices, or what you expect from a good 3 or 4 star. I emailed the hotel a week before going to ask if the bacon, sausage etc were free range but no reply and they aren't. But what was really good here was the menu that you could order separately of if you wanted freshly cooked to order breakfast: I had wonderful smoked haddock with perfect poached egg, half a lemon in a muslin net. Croissants, chocolate croissants, muffins, scones, danish pastries are among the very best I've ever eaten. Also there: full cooked irish breakfast; kippers; duck egg omlettes with range of fillings, french brioche toast & maple syrup, hot salmon kedgeree, pancakes, scones. Coffee bloody great - so much so - if you go, put a small amount of pouring cream in it; it works very well. I had the chef's breakfast signature dish of eggs cocotte with caviar. This was £6.50 extra (breakfast is £20) and was rather unexciting with little flavour; caviar tasted fine, but time to change the signature its a very dull dish, way too simple. Lunches like fish n chips, seafood chowder & prawn toasts and steaks all superbly cooked and really enjoyable but the chowder in Fitzpatricks Co Louth well beats it. Dinners great; 1st night 4 of us dined with mushroom soup £4 with treacle, wheaten & curry breads, I'd a good pasta main £9, others had fish n chips, a good gammon steak with superb apple gravy style sauce and no - one was fit for desert. Also dined in the main fine dining place: I'm not going to go into great detail, just say every choice was fantastic - as good as it gets, 3 courses £40ish. When we sat down we got a small cup of soup, and a spiv flogged us italian bottled water (we brought wine from the bar) I had all parts of quail, breast, confit leg, roast parsnip & puree, others had cured sea trout, pickles/beetroot, a chicken & goose liver terrine, prune, shallot and Dublin prawns, prawn bisque, brochette of prawn. Mains: a hake with lentils, a seared salmon & maple cured bacon, a duck with sweet potato. I had kettyle dry aged fillet steak, it was devine, perfectly cooked with potato mash, cabbage & bacon wrapped to look like a giant brussel sprout and a sublime poached parsnip puree. The dessrts were glorious, especially the blackcurrant souffle. The spa was ok; the jacuzzi, steam/sauna rooms were small,the barely warm pool the same - if 6 people were in the jacuzzi/steam/sauna they'd be full, ten people makes swimming a crowded experience, screaming kids made it very unpleasant oh and you get 1 towel going in. We'd booked 2 massages each but the hotel could only find one booking and couldn't offer us another booking that suited. One hour thai massage by thai staff was pretty ok but not worth £75 each; not the best thai massage I've had. The thai spa area had separate steam/saunas again 6 people in each would be the limit. But the steam bath was cold, not a 5 star experience, it had no steam in fact our room was warmer, thai staff were absolutely uninterested in my pointing this fact out, also the shower with tropical/siam settings lousy and no place to hang a towel. Worse still no toilets - guests must return to main pool area to pee, hardly 5 star experience? Another off - putting 1 star experience was the people who own or manage other properties for rent in the complex. They drink at the bar and try to inveigle themselves into guests company to offer us/other guests 'cheap' accommodation. Go away you tiresome, boring oiks, profiteer elsewhere. If this 1 star experience wasn't enough, some of these twits, having spent a long time boozing, go to their cars at the end of the night and drive off, I assume and hope only as far as their over - priced seemingly empty properties. The hotel had a log fire in one part, and a gas fire in another place. Coffee £3.50 with 10% added often, to top it all we called the police to report the attempted theft of an ipad 2 from our room which staff held on to for 27 hours before we knew it was gone; only revealing they had it when we asked them to call police despite our photo being plain to see once the cover is open - they say the policy is not to look - not one part of their story was credible; watch your chattels! Free wifi was lousy

Room Tip: Throw money at them
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Newryone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Corick House
Corick House
#1 of 1 in Clogher
Knockninny Country House & Marina

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!