“Golfing and Scenery to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lough Erne Resort

Lough Erne Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Enniskillen
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Golfing and Scenery to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of a two night break at this fantastic resort. It's setting is spectacular alongside Lough Erne offering wonderful views from its lounges and restaurants. Also attached is the fabulous 'Faldo' golf course which I had the opportunity to play twice, and having played all over the world I can honestly say this course it among the best, both in terms of setting and, because of the many varied tee positions, difficulty rating. The hotel staff are very attentive and friendly and the place was exceptionally clean and tastefully decorated throughout. The food was very good particularly in the main restaurant but the golf clubhouse was also very nice. Even though we did have rain when we visited, this did not dampen our enthusiasm of this lovely place.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the golf course and lake is a must.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear "Keith C"

Thank you very much for your kind words, and the time taken to post your positive experiences here at Lough Erne.

As a golfer, it is rewarding to hear your comments, and having done a lot of work on the course in the last year, it is great to see it all come to fruition. I have passed on your compliments to the whole team and in particular the kitchen brigade, for we all know that an army marches on its stomach.

Thank you once again and I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Ferghal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for a saturday night in October. The hotel is up a long driveway and surrounded by lodges and the golf course. We were checked in immediately by very efficient and friendly staff and given information about breakfast times etc. Our room(218) on the second floor was enormous, much bigger than a standard hotel double room. We had booked a courtyard view but actually had a lake and golf course view off to the side which was lovely. the room was nicely furnished with the most comfortable bed ever. Mini bar however was just a fridge but ok as we didnt use it. Television had lots of channels including sky sports 1, 2 and 3. The bathroom had a shower and beautiful claw bath. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and so comfortable. the room is situated right at the door down to the pool and jacuzzi which meant we were able to change into the robe and slippers provided and go down the back stairs rather than walking through the hotel. It was warm and quiet during the night, with heavy tapestry curtains to keep out any light. We dined in the Loughview bar and Grill, we had pre-booked luckily as it was really busy. It is outside the hotel, about a 2 minute walk. The lighting is not very good around it which was our only issue. The food was delicious and served quickly and pleasantly. They do add service charge onto your bill, not everyone likes this. We would have tipped anyway but prefer to give it to the waiter who actually serves us. The main hotel has open fires throughout and has a really cosy atmosphere. The doorman was very friendly and helpful and gave us a map of a walk alongside the golfcourse. Elaine in reception was also very good. The pool, sauna and jacuzzi area is spotlessly clean and very enjoyable. The changing rooms were well equipped and towels provided, also lockers. The only downside to our stay was the lack of entertainment in the bar or anywhere in the hotel. The bar is very nice but some music or a singer would have been a nice touch. Breakfast was also really enjoyable, the service was efficient and the food cooked beautifully, even the sausages which previous reviewers have commented on as being anaemic. They were nicely browned and very tasty! We will definitely go back here, and request room 218!

Room Tip: Room 218 is a larger courtyard double room and is directly beside the stairs leading to the pool so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "travelmumBelfast"

We will undoubtedly have to get you back for longer the next time. You are entirely correct, one night is never enough, but at least you did get the opportunity to spend it with us here at Lough Erne.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a rewarding and positive review and indeed for the detail therein. I have passed on all of your comments to the staff, and delighted you noticed my efforts on the sausages.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Four of us stayed overnight and played the challenging and very well presented "Faldo" twice in perfect weather amongst changing Autumn colours. We stayed in one of the lodges overlooking the lake which was beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean. Sadly we dined in the hotel clubhouse and were hugely disappointed, the only blemish on an otherwise very enjoyable stay.

Staff were very friendly and helpful and to counter the previous evening's meal, breakfast was was just perfect.

Some great deals to be had in this beautifully sited hotel and the writer will return soon.

Room Tip: Lake views are an added bonus
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LoughErneResort, General Manager at Lough Erne Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear "Harry M"

The Lodges really are ideal, especially when travelling with friends or family, and especially if you are playing golf, they just give you that little bit more room and comfort. The Faldo course really is in great shape, particularly in those autumnal colours.

I have noted your comment in respect of The Loughside Bar & Grill, and will address accordingly.

Thank you for staying with us, and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We and three other couples and a single traveled to Lough Erne for golf and the spa. The golf course was absolutely beautiful and challenging while not being unfair. In short a totally enjoyable round. The spa was relaxing with a geat staff. The rooms at the hotel are large, very clean, and very comfortable. Views were spectacular. Food and drink were very good. Above all the staf was friendly and gracious. We are looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear "john t"

Being a golfer, who rarely gets out, it is always rewarding to hear other golfers appreciation of the Faldo course. Yes, it is challenging, but fair and one of the few courses not to suffer from the levels of rainfall we are used to here.

Thank you for posting such a positive review on behalf of your group, and I will certainly pass on your kind words to all of our staff.

We too, hope that it will not be too long before we get the opportunity to Welcome You back again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

A LITTLE PIECE OF HEAVEN
October 2012

As I approached the main entrance of the Hotel I immediately started to relax and felt as though I was coming home. This was the second visit for my Husband and me to the Lough Erne Resort as we had previously stayed for 2 nights in February 2012. Having had such a great experience in February we had always planned to come back and bring our daughter and son-in-law with us. I had talked for hours with them about our five star experiences including, the tranquil surroundings, and the exceptionally friendly and attentive staff combined with a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere.

I and my Husband have stayed in many 5 star resorts throughout Northern Ireland and have never visited the same place twice, so for me coming back to the same resort for a second time spoke volumes about all aspects of this particular 5 star resort. Our daughter and son-in-law were very excited to visit with us and it surely was a picture watching their faces light up with surprise and awe as we slowly approached the entrance to the resort.

On arrival we were greeted by the warm and friendly staff, even the Manager himself remembered my Husband and me and came over to welcome us back and say hello. The attentiveness of staff within the resort is superb and their attention to detail is flawless. The concierge Brendan took our bags and guided us to our rooms. We were privileged to be staying within the resorts two beautiful and exclusive suites. The rooms we stayed in had the most exquisite antique furnisher; they were elegant, spacious and had the most stunning décor with the most beautiful views over the golf course and Lough Erne.

After settling in to our rooms my daughter and myself headed for the Thai Spa as we were booked in for full body massages in a lovely double treatment room together. Having experienced the spa on my first visit I knew the magnificent treatment and service I was about to receive, however this being my daughters first time it was wonderful watching her eyes light up with excitement and surprise in anticipation of the unique Thai Spa experience she was about to receive. The Thai Spa manager Orla recognised me from my first visit and was just as friendly and attentive on our second visit. I would recommend that anyone staying in the resort take the time to visit and experience the Thai Spa as it is just out of this world and in complete contrast to any other spa experience. The attention to detail, service and friendliness completes the spa experience.

Relaxed, reinvigorated and energised we went back to our suites to get ready for dinning that evening. Having arrived on a Friday afternoon the hotel was very busy and it was difficult to get a table to dine in the Blaney Bar, however James McPhillips did recommend the Loughside Bar & Grill and he even took the time to walk us across the short distance and show us the way. We had never eaten in the Loughside Grill so this was to be a new experience and what an experience this turned out to be!!! The food we had that night was sumptuous, flawless and we enjoyed every bite. My son-in-law had extremely high praise for the chef and as he is a chef himself in a five star hotel in Belfast, this really was praise indeed, as he is particularly hard to please in relation to food. After we were all well fed and sated from our dinning experience in the Loughside Grill we retired to the comfortable couches in the Blaney Bar for some relaxing drinks and cocktails for the ladies. The atmosphere in the Blaney Bar is tranquil, warm and cosy and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there, later we decided to move to the Gordon Wilson Library (another luxurious, elegant and immaculately kept room in the hotel) to continue our drinks and play a game of chess, not that we could play very well, but the craic was good! Finally we returned to the decadent luxury of our suites and sleep peacefully all night in the beautiful, comfy, large mahogany four-poster bed.

Breakfast the next morning in the Catalina was lovely, with a great choice of food and cooked to perfection, we enjoyed every mouthful and this hearty breakfast set us up for the day ahead. Having booked our fine dinning experience in the Catalina later in the evening at 8pm we spent the remainder of the day relaxing in our suite and then headed out into Enniskillen town for a walk about and some shopping before heading back to the hotel. Our fine dining experience was everything you would expect it to be and more! The food was exquisite, we were all very well catered for and the Chef Noel McMeel came out to introduce himself to us, which I found to be very friendly and personable, he chatted and made us all feel relaxed very quickly. The food and wine in the Catalina is prepared to perfection and tastes divine, the presentation of the food and detail makes the experience more enjoyable. The service in the Catalina is first class, attentive, friendly and helpful, no question or request is overlooked. The dinning experience in the Catalina is an experience of itself and I would highly recommend.

Following our dinner in the Catalina we relaxed in the Blaney Bar for some drinks before retiring to our warm comfortable four-poster bed and had another great nights sleep. I notice myself that when staying her in the Lough Erne Resort I am very relaxed and chilled out and felt renewed from my 3-night stay. However I will be sorry to leave on the Monday afternoon.

By total accident I came across the Christmas and New Year Brochure for packages for 2013. Of course this has given me a great idea of wanting to bring my family and Grand-children down again over Christmas, however this may prove to be a little difficult to arrange, so our plans have changed from Christmas to coming back for New Years Eve and New Year Day with my family. A prospect I am very excited about. In addition I will be working very closely with Karen Bogue through the next coming months as I have decided to Renew my wedding vows here at The Lough Erne Resort next year and am also looking forward to visiting for New Year.

Karen Bogue kindly organised the complimentary use of a golf buggy for myself, as I would not have been able to walk around the golf course due to ill health, this allowed us to take in the sights and beautiful scenery around the Nick Faldo golf course at a leisurely pace and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. We were lucky enough to eat in all the restaurants within the resort and found the food to be excellent in all four of them.

Sunday was the perfect day of relaxation as the hotel was less busy and the ambience was exquisite and allowed for well-needed rest and recuperation. An organised late check out on the Monday meant that we did not have to rush and could take our time and relax a little before having to leave this beautiful, tranquil, magnificent resort. Of course this makes us a little sad to be leaving, but I am comforted in the knowledge that I will be back again soon.

Hotel staff I would like to specially mention are; Karen Bogue, Fergal, Adrian (missed seeing him on this visit), James McPhillips, Nail, Orla in the spa, Elaine Gormley, Roy, Brendan and all front desk and concierge staff. I would like to insist that all staff in this hotel from housekeeping to the front desk are exceptional, courteous, well mannered and professional, however for me I have dealt with some more than others and it has been an absolute pleasure.

Having spent three fantastic days here it is now time to go home, I will leave this afternoon with a lump in my throat and renewed excitement for my next visit. This Hotel & Resort is an absolute jewel, a superior place to stay and well deserved of their five star status.

We will be back soon, until then we wish all staff here at the Lough Erne Resort good health, happiness and wealth.

Kindest Regards

Paton & Sinclair Families

Room Tip: Any rooms in this hotel are amazing, but the suites are in a league of their own.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
To the Paton & Sinclair families

We were delighted to have you both come to stay with us recently in our "Little Piece of Heaven".

I would not know where to start to Thank You, for you and your families extremely kind review of your stay with us, and indeed for taking the time to recognize and identify all of the staff who made your stay that much more enjoyable.

We look forward to having you back with us at the New Year, but more importantly for the renewing of your vows in 2013. It is a very special occasion, and we here at Lough Erne are all delighted that you have chosen to celebrate this with us.

Thank you all once again, and I look forward to seeing you for the New Year.

With kind regards

Ferghal and The Lough Erne Team.
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

What a wonderful location, if you want to see ireland, this truly is beautiful. The walks around the hotel are just breathtaking as are the views. We just walked every day non stop and took advantage of all the different walks.

Our room was lovely, with a gorgeous view. The staff were all so friendly, true irish hospitality.

I would recommend going the whole hog; we arrived and got settled, then went for a walk, later to the pool which is beautiful with gorgeous views, and then rested until dinner. Dinner was beautiful, small portions, french cuisine, really fabulous food which I wasn't expecting. The bar is lovely for a drink.

The next day we went for walks, then had a treatment at the spa. The facials are fabulous and the thai lady's are just fab. After that the afternoon tea is truly lovely, one is enough for both. The lady who serves is extremely professional.

All in all the whole experience was just great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear "Aoertzen"

You certainly tried everything, and it was great to see that you thoroughly enjoyed the combination of all that we have to offer. We do not treat ourselves often enough or indeed rest enough, so I was delighted to see that you managed to find the blend of both here with us.

I will certainly pass on your kind words to all of the staff.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend in this magnificent resort. We stayed in one of the luxurious lodges which was overlooking the golf course and the lake and it is hard to imagine a nicer view from a hotel bedroom. Food in the restaurant was excellent and there is plenty of walks in the area. I will definitely be back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear "FreddyC"

Thank you for your very kind words, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. I will certainly pass on your appreciation of the food to the Chef and his team. Being a keen walker myself, I am glad you go the opportunity to enjoy the walk around the property, it really does give you a greater appreciation of the Lakes.

We look forward to having you back sooner rather than later.

Ferghal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Corick House
Corick House
#1 of 1 in Clogher
Knockninny Country House & Marina

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!