I booked a two night stay for my husband's birthday - mentioned this when I booked and the girl said she'd 'make a note of that'. We arrived (no porter available) and checked in to our room. I was disappointed to see that the wallpaper above the headboard was torn, there was a large crack in a floor tile in the bathroom and the shower tray had a very obvious repair. However we were determined not to let this spoil our break so we went down for our afternoon tea which had been booked for 2.30. Although the room had been set for tea there was no-one on duty, and we had to go to reception after standing around for 10 minutes to ask if someone could take our order!
We had dinner on the evening of my husband's birthday in the Catalina restaurant, but no mention was made, no special table offered, in fact no reference whatsoever to the fact that he was celebrating a special occasion.
Our room was very warm so we slept with the windows open (no air con) - until 6.00 a.m. The staff then started arriving in their cars and vans made deliveries. This was bad enough but then a car alarm went off at two minute intervals - we called reception but they said they couldn't trace the owner who didn't appear to be staying at the hotel. The car had a personalised number plate and was parked in the same place again the next day!
This is a 5 star establishment and in my book 5 star should mean the best. It wasn't. We stayed at Lough Erne last year, had a wonderful time and the attention to detail was exceptional. I know the resort is in administration, that the general manager has now left, and hope that the present financial situation does not mean that basic maintenance is left undone. I did write a note of the above on the hotel's comment card, but no-one from the hotel has found it necessary to contact me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Erne Resort, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, host venue to the G 8 Summit 2013 is the first AA and NITB Five Star Hotel in Northern Ireland and was awarded 'Best Hotel' at the 2011 Northern Ireland Tourism Awards. In 2010, it was awarded ‘Golf Resort of The Year’ by the Irish Golf Tour Operators Association. The Resort is the ultimate expression in old world heritage and new world luxury, set on its very own 600 acre peninsula, between Castle Hume Lough and Lower Lough Erne, just outside Enniskillen, with stunning panoramic views from almost every vantage point. This unique luxury Fermanagh hotel’s facilities include: •120 luxury Rooms and Suites•Two Championship Golf Courses including The Faldo Course, a Golf World & Golf Monthly Top 20 Course (UK & Ireland) and the Championship Castle Hume Course•Rory McIlroy has been its Touring Professional representing The Resort around the World•The Golf Academy, a state of the art Practice and Tuition centre•Authentic Thai Spa, with Thai Therapists using Thai Products and techniques•A variety of innovative Dining Experiences with menus composed by Award winning Chef, Noel McMeel. Including: The Catalina Restaurant, The Blaney Bar with an Exclusive collection of 101 Irish Whiskies; The Loughside Bar & Grill, a variety of Afternoon Teas in The Garden Hall and The Halfway House located behind the 9th Green of The Faldo Championship Course•6 Conference & Meeting Rooms•Cygnets The 'BIG' Experience for our younger guests (0-11 years)•One of Ireland’s most romantic Wedding Venues. All this combined with warm, friendly and attentive service make Lough Erne Resort one of the world’s most magical destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Lough Erne Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Erne Hotel Enniskillen
- Lough Erne Enniskillen
- Lough Erne Resort Enniskillen, Northern Ireland