“Hidden gem!”

Knockninny Country House & Marina
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Enniskillen
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A great hotel, tastefully decorated, full of history, & character - well located & excellent to visit by boat, food great, staff all excellent, Connor very helpful, Gail a character! Felt like home from home - already booked to go back.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
GAIL C, Manager at Knockninny Country House & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Richard V

We really appreciate your taking the time to write a review on Knockninny House and thank you very much for your excellent ratings. Our staff were very pleased with your review and we look forward to welcoming you again soon to Knockninny either by Boat or Road.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

break and have to say it delivered on all levels! We had breakfast, lunch & dinner at the hotel as well as taking advantage of the day boat hire.

Friendliness of hotel staff is second to none - especially Gail and Connor! The view is fabulous, rooms beautiful and food delicious. If you fancy a day on the lough, then the day boat is well worth hiring (weather permitting). We went to Crom Estate, which is beautiful, offering numerous photo opportunities for my husband (a keen amateur photographer).

Highly recommended to couples and families alike. We're thinking of a cruiser on Lough Erne next summer and will definitely call in for dinner and some drinks to moor up on the jetty for a night.

• Stayed: July 2013
gaino, Manager at Knockninny Country House & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Coopsky

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted with your feedback and ratings. As always we are happy to have served you and so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, our rooms, our food and the Dayboat, If, when you return next year by cruiser and we can help in any way do please ask.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We got married in Knockninny House because the setting was stunning but the service we got was poor bad attitude towards our guests and photographer bad attitude towards 2 guest which were celiacs and got told we dont do desserts for celiacs so have this ice cream guests told to stop outside while photos where being taken of the bride and groom but the guests were cold as it was getting a little chilly and we were told we could not do the speeches till the meal was over as it was all put out in the kitchen and i had taken my ring off to wash my hands that morning we were leaving and had forgot to put it back on when i realise half way down the road we went back and the place was shut and was not able to get it back for 3 days the manager/owner had left the night before leaving 2 girls no more than 19 in charge of 45 guests and we got told when we rang to get my ring back im not coming back till wed in busy with my kids , nice place just needs a good manager we had a wedding party at the waterfoot hotel the following week could not do enough for us would recomend it to all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dlma
gaino, Manager at Knockninny Country House & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear dima
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Knockninny House and your wedding. Both myself and our staff feel compelled to respond to your review since we do not believe you have given a fair and accurate review of your experience.
I appreciate your well above average ratings on Value, Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms and Cleanliness but very much regret that your rating on our service is so poor. Frankly I and all staff are shocked at your review particularly since you personally hugged myself and thanked me for the fantastic job we had done. Our training programmes at Knockninny House very much focus on customer service and the fact that our customers are our raison d’être and so, if our service is considered poor then this is an area which will be addressed immediately. Nevertheless, I feel that some of your comments on service are in actual fact untrue. I further thank you for your comments on our setting but am thoroughly disappointed that your other comments are not so positive. I will take each of your points individually and respond accordingly.
You have written that your guests were “told to stop outside while photos where being taken of the bride and groom but the guests were getting chilly”. I am shocked to read this comment for the very reason that this did not in fact happen. Of course I have endeavoured to clarify whether any member of staff requested guests to “stop outside” and am assured with somewhat dismay that this was at no time the case. Yours was a boutique wedding hosted inside Knockninny House and there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for this to happen. We at Knockninny House consistently endeavour to provide a cosy welcoming atmosphere for all our guests at all times; on this occasion the fire was lit in the bar as well as outside(at your specific prior request) and all endeavours were made as normal to welcome guests into the comfort of Knockninny House. As your guests sat initially in our reception area which was becoming somewhat crowded I recall personally inviting your guests into the comfort of the bar and restaurant area and therefore refute your claim.
You state “and we were told we could not do the speeches till the meal was over as it was all put out in the kitchen” As wedding Co-ordinator I had in advance, as with all weddings clarified the sequence of events for the day including time scales and in particular when you wished your speeches to take place so as to ensure the smooth running of your wedding. In fact you had both confirmed that you wanted to carry out your speeches after the meal. Wedding Food Service at Knockninny House is a well oiled machine and we agree speech times in advance so as to ensure that food service is punctual, fresh and hot. As we were clearing your second and main course in preparation for your dessert course, you appeared to change your mind as to when you wanted to do your speeches and then inquired as to whether you could now do your speeches between your main course and dessert. Before I could respond to your request I recall your bride immediately responded to your request stating that the food was “in a loop” and “you can’t interrupt that loop”. I clarified your wife’s comment by stating that since our chefs were already in progress of plating your dessert course which included a hot sauce; to begin your speeches then would have been detrimental to the receipt of your dessert course for both you and your guests. I believe you then made a jovial comment about being told off by your new wife.
Your comment “i had taken my ring off to wash my hands that morning we were leaving and had forgot to put it back on when i realise half way down the road we went back and the place was shut and was not able to get it back for 3 day”....”and we got told when we rang to get my ring back im not coming back till wed in busy with my kids”. Indeed a wedding band was left behind. Your room had been checked and cleaned immediately after your checking out and no ring had been found. Should any guest leave property behind it is immediately reported to the manager and retained for safe keeping. On this occasion no ring was found. Obviously given the sensitivity of losing a less than 24 hour old wedding band I personally checked the Bridal Suite the next day to no avail whilst talking to the Bride on the telephone. I further checked a second time whilst on the telephone to no avail and searched around Knockninny House and the places you had been that morning at your wife’s request including the kitchen where you had collected your wedding cake. Finally the wedding band was retrieved inside the rear of the wash hand basin pedestal but was not left in the place you were adamant you had left it being the bathroom shelf of the Bridal Suite. The ring was immediately sent to you by recorded delivery. As you are aware, we are a boutique establishment and are not subjected to the 24/7 jurisdiction as larger hotels are. During the low season we are open for overnight guests, weddings and private events only, since you had checked out and no other events were taking place that day, I along with all staff had left for the day approximately one hour after your departure. I feel we had carried out our duties to the best of our ability and within our remit for your wedding day and the next morning up until your departure and am sorry that you feel we should be on call 24 hours. I would clarify however that this is not a promise that we make.
You state “the manager/owner had left the night before leaving 2 girls no more than 19 in charge of 45 guests”. Please be assured the manager/owner at no time left the premises and as per NITB regulations a manager is always on the premises. These regulations I personally take a step further and in actual fact stay overnight with guests. If on the rare occasion I am unable to do so for personal reasons another trained staff member will stay. Be further assured that our bar staff are well above the age of 19 years old and are fully trained in the management of the bar and the house itself. The duty manager remains on the premises, perhaps not in view of guests at all times but nevertheless there should the need arise for his/her presence. With regard to your comments on our catering for celiacs, one celiac guest did in fact compliment our food and indeed inquired as to the recipe for our sauces because she said “celiac meals are usually tasteless elsewhere”. Your comment on our service of ice cream to same guests is taken on board and perhaps our chefs should look at developing more celiac friendly desserts. Unfortunately all of our desserts apart from Ice Cream contain gluten.
I reiterate my shock at your post and certainly hope I have addressed your issues. Obviously I would have endeavoured to rectify any genuine complaint at the time but am now unable to do so and am unable to make contact with you through normal communication channels. I have left a message for you to get in touch with me personally and repeat this should you wish to speak with me.

Yours sincerely

Gail Clarke

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and i had a lovely stay here in August. It is right on the lough shore and is very tranquil and quite romantic. It is however well off the beaten track and has no entertainment...but for a quiet romantic night away it ticks all the boxes. The food in the bar/restaurant is very nice and not overpriced. The rooms are not overly big but are very tastefully decorated as is the whole guest house. The beds are fitted with orthopaedic mattresses and are very comfortable. The Lough facing bedrooms have terrific views...all in all no complaints and would stay again.

Room Tip: Go for the front facing Lough view rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ramesh S
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at the hotel start of August it has 2 be the most serine hotel I've ever stayed in. As a gay female couple we wer so well received and we wer told on arrival we could have the honeymoon suite. Waitress was lovely and down 2 earth. My only one criticism was no veggie breakfast and we stayed two nites and felt they could have made an effort for the 2nd morning and bought in something for me. Will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Fermanaghs hidden gem! The hotel were professional, polite and went above and beyond to ensure my day was perfect. I couldn't fault the hotel, and everyone of my guests commented on the 5* quality hospitality that was received at this boutique guest house. The marquee was immaculate, the hotel agreed to all of my quirky colour scheme requests. If you dream of a fairy tale marquee wedding, in am exquisite setting with 5* cuisine, then I would strongly recommend considering this venue!

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Lovetotravelgkl
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Wow, we have just returned from another visit to the Hotel.This time for my Daughters Wedding. The Hosts make everything seem so easy and there is nothing that is too much trouble, even the owner travelling to town for a new hairbrush for a guest..... they really can't do enough for you. The Hotel, Food, Marquee, Staff and Location in our opinion can't be faulted. If you are planning a function here, rest assured you are in very safe professional hands.
We will be visiting again, but to everybody at the Hotel, a huge thank you for everything and we will see you again for next season.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Glen_Gill_Lockett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskillen
Lough Erne Resort
The Enniskillen Hotel
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club

Been to Knockninny Country House & Marina? Share your experiences!