“Promised much, delivered poor service and created an aloof atmosphere”

Restaurant at Fowey Hall
Ranked #24 of 42 Restaurants in Fowey
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Promised much, delivered poor service and created an aloof atmosphere”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My friends and I visited the hotel prior to attending the Fowey festival which was located in the grounds of the hotel. We waited on the veranda surrounded by well kept gardens and a fabulous view overlooking Fowey. Other people were eating but no one came tho take our order after 15 minutes. So I went into the reception and after patiently waiting to catch a waiters attention I asked if we could order and the female waiter appeared to seem troubled by my question and irratasted. She said she would be out shortly. So again I waited for another 15 minutes when another waiter to our order. There was another delay receiving two lattes and a mint tea, not a big order but one which caused the hotel staff issues. The staff on payment and on leaving were unfriendly, austere and irrated by customers. Very disappointing!

• Visited May 2013

Somerset
“Dissapointingly mediocre.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband, 17 year old daughter and myself went for dinner to celebrate our anniversary in April. On arrival we ordered two glasses of champagne only to be told that they had "run out"! Seriously, a hotel without champagne?! Not a great start and frankly it didn't improve from there. Starters were nice without being special, a main course of pork belly (very good ) was served rather surprisingly with saffron rice (disgusting), my husband and I shared the beef fillet for two which was plonked down between us on a wooden board and was such a meagre serving that we sat waiting for the other half! Finally accepting we were meant to share this portion we decanted onto our plates two very small, thin slices of beef, 6 chips and a few leaves of bitter lettuce. Particularly annoying when the meal had attracted a substantial supplement on the menu. The pudding trolley looked rather sorry for itself with someof the desserts looking as if they had been there for some time but, thankfully the excellent dessert waitress ( the highlight of the evening) found us some alternatives in the kitchen. The evening was ridiculously expensive and we will not be returning. It is not the place for a special occasion with all the other tables filled with young couples in jeans/ t shirts who probably put up with the standards due to the child friendly facilities.

• Visited April 2013
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My first visit to Fowey Hall was for a Christmas meal with my Mum. I was going away for the festive period so I really wanted to treat her and I was not disappointed. Although we did not take my son (who is 18 anyway) the atmosphere had been carefully considered, with mince pies and carrots placed next to a roaring fire, awaiting our trusted Christmas visitor. The food was absolutely delicious and the setting..... well perfect! What a quintessential slice of history. We enjoyed it so much that we have returned a couple of times and have another visit planned for my Mum's birthday.

I have a real interest for period properties and found one of the staff members to me most accommodating. He very kindly arranged for us to have a guided tour of some of the rooms and was informed enough to be able to tell us a little of the history relating to Fowey Hall. He was also kind enough to arrange for a computer print-out of some historical facts connected with the building.

I would thoroughly recommend a visit to Fowey Hall. Glorious setting, delicious food and friendly, accommodating and efficient staff.

• Visited March 2013
“Poor afternoon tea.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We brought vouchers from buy a gift totalling £60 for full afternoon tea for 4 people. When we gave the vouchers to the waitress she didn't look appreciative. Althought we had phoned and booked for a specific time there was still a long wait. There was an apology for this but it was almost like we were an inconvinience because it was a Sunday and we weren't there for Sunday lunch even though when I had booked there was no issue! The afternoon tea came it consisted of 2 small savoury biscuits no topping, some prawns on a dried out vol-au-vent and a small brucchetine with what tasted like spam on top each. Followed buy a dried out thin slice of madera cake, a dried out miniature chocolate eclair that had been in the fridges so long the cream disappeared into a dry lump and stuck to the paper case. I miniature piece of chocolate brownie which did taste fresh and a solid dried out scone each! One pot of tea between 3 and a filter coffee. Due to how dry most things were we quickly ran out of tea but there was no offer of more in fact no one came back at all not even to check we were ok so we waited and then awkwardly left!! Not impressed at all I will not be booking to go there for anfternoon tea again or recommending it to anyone.

6 Thank Kateloul
Swindon, United Kingdom
“some meals better than others”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Meals were variable, but on the whole good. The service was a bit hit and miss.....
Large family restaurant lacking in ambience, and we were never invited to sit in the more attractive dining room.

Visited October 2012