This is our third time at the Ferry Inn. Location-wise you cannot beat it, especially if you have a river-facing room. The views are outstanding up the Fowey Estuary. However, it is NOT in Fowey, it is in Bodinnick, which is the opposite side of the river to the town of Fowey. This means either a short ferry ride from the doorstep (ferry stops running mid-evening), a long drive or the rather random passenger ferry that operates after hours (about 8:30pm in the summer). So, don't come here if you want hustle and bustle and easy night-time access to Fowey. Do come here if you want tranquility and superb food - which leads me to my next point. The pub is very old-English with lots of character, excellent beer (Sharps!) and a really good and varied menu. I recommend going for the 'safe' options on the menu as they are just as good as the specials. The prices are reasonable (for Cornwall) and the hospitality is good. Pascal (the owner) has a lot of character and has really got everything together for such a rustic pub in quite an isolated location.
However, the downside (minor one I must say) is the rooms. They are quite tired now and the TVs really need updating - I cannot remember the last time I saw a 12" screen portable colour TV + the TV tuner is not great with limited channels and quite intermittent reception.
All in all, a brilliant, traditional pub with superb hospitality and in a superb location...
My tip is to get a room with a view of the river, eat early in Fowey or late in the pub and just enjoy this wonderful location!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the banks of the Fowey River Estuary in the picturesque village of Bodinnick, The Old Ferry is a quintessential Cornish Inn that has been providing accommodation and refreshment for over 400 years. We overlook the Bodinnick to Fowey ferry which can trace its roots back to the 13th Century, and 'Ferryside' the former family home of Daphne du Maurier. The Inn with its relaxed and warm welcome has many traditional features including a wood burner and stone slate floor, and is full of old photographs, nautical bric-a-brac and memorabilia. The perfect place to while away time during the winter months.Our panoramic restaurant gives fantastic river views towards the town of Fowey and the village of Polruan. There are also south facing outside terraces which also have splendid estuary views, and capture the sun all day, a perfect retreat for a summers day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and LateRooms so you can book your The Old Ferry Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Ferry Inn Bodinnick Hotel Fowey
- The Old Ferry Inn Fowey, Cornwall