The Fowey Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fowey Hall(Fowey)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
The Carlyon Bay(St Austell)
1,460 results
All reviewsgin barsea viewparking spaceantique liftrichardson grouprichardson hotelstraditional hotellovely hotelpublic roomsstandard roomdining roomfour poster bedshort breakcar parkper nightsuperb viewsfowey estuary
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 22, 2007

The Fowey Hotel is a grand building in a fantastic location, so this alone makes it worth a visit. But what made our stay truly enjoyable was the way we were looked after. From the very beginning - the booking, which in our case had to be done in a haste due to unforeseen circumstances - we felt that the staff are trying their best to make our stay enjoyable.

I will give you just one example. We arrived after 9pm, and the hotel's car park was already full - so, having unloaded our luggage, I had to park at a nearby public car park. Fowey is a hilly place, with lots of winding streets, and I probably looked confused trying to plot my way on the map that I was given. Seeing that, the manager on duty, by the name of Andrea, told me that she will lead me in the hotel's car, and then, once my car is safely parked, will drive me back. I don't imagine many hotels doing this sort of thing for you!

The rest of our stay was also great. The room had a four-poster bed and a balcony with a magnificent water view. The room service was prompt, and the food that we ordered was excellent.

Another point worth making - there was an Internet connection as promised (note that you have to pay for it by the hour, and also need to be in the lobby to get a good signal).

Overall it was a great stay. I can certainly recommend the hotel to fellow travellers, and will come back myself as/when I have a chance.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We rang this hotel at 5pm, and although they said they were quite busy, they found us a room. We asked if it had a sea view. They said no. We asked if we could have one with a sea view. They looked, and the only one free was a four-poster. But they let us have that for the same price! We were welcomed at the hotel by friendly and efficient staff. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, there is little parking, but the concierge not only told us where to park, but actually led my husband to the local public car park and gave him a lift back. Meanwhile, we were offered complimentary tea & cake in our room, whcih had not only a four-poster, but a jacuzzi bath and magnificent views over the harbour. Faded grandeur describes it perfectly - not shabby, but not pristine and soulless either.
At the time we were there, they were redeveloping the dining area, so we were unable to eat in the hotel, as dining space was limited. But the menu looked good. The staff gave us several recommendations, and we did have a wonderful meal in the town.
The breakfast the next day was one of the best for quality and variety that we have ever had in an English hotel. The atmosphere was lovely too - no hushed tones, and no muzak! The hotel was filled with the bustle of staff going about their work and people setting off on their days out, but outside the breakfast room where we were eating. So it wasn't disturbing, just friendly.
We'd go again like a shot, and to the others in the group, if they're run on similar lines.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Location is perfect, overlooking the breathtaking estuary. Not much parking at the hotel, but not a problem as there is an ample pay & display car park 5mins walk away.

Booked the cheapest room (inland facing) but it was a decent size, nicely furnished, welcoming and with a huge bathroom with separate shower cubicle with good shower.

Nice touches like complimentary tea and homemade biscuits on arrival.

Pleasant lounges (in the process of being decorated) and nice bar. The antique lift is charming!

Dinner was exceptionally good. Nice choice (including scallops, a rarity on a table d'hote), well presented, with efficient and attentive service. Portion size perfect. Lovely homemade bread.

We paid a very good price (£55 each, DBB) as it was out of season and they had a special offer. Brilliant value. I suspect it might be a bit more pricey in Summer!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MikeC_2006
Reviewed February 16, 2007

Booking by telephone was easy, helpful and knowledgeable staff. Select double room (lower floor) overlooking the bay was fantastic. Booked valentines night, including dinner, excellent food. Extended our stay another day on B&B basis. Good choice of breakfast menu. Ate in Fowey at "Sams" - a good experience. We would go back to this hotel again, with one tiny criticism.... £7.50 per night for parking (on wasteland alongside the hotel) seems a bit steep when everything else had been so good !!

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank duchess56
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We stayed in a premier room, beautiful room and lovely views.
The jacuzzi style bath was a bonus.
Food was lovely, could have had a little more choice on the starters and main course.
Unfortunately the painters were in on the day we were leaving which was not pleasant whilst eating breakfast.
Car Parking was no problem, as we had prebooked a space, could have had lights coming down the driveway when you walk back from town.
Staff were excellent especially Clare and Kevin - nothing was too much trouble