“Magical Wedding Weekend”
Review of The Fowey Hotel

The Fowey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I arrived the day before my wedding, along with family and heaps of friends, we enjoyed drinks and dinner together in a brilliantly relaxed atmosphere, the service was impeccable and the attention we received was 5*.
We had visited a couple of times to pre book various rooms for the wedding party and booked the Rebecca suite for us, the balcony was the main winner here...and wow what a great choice, it was an exceedingly hot weekend and having windows and doors that could be opened to catch a breeze and the views was great. The room was beautifully prepared and had everything one needs to prepare for the big day (I was even able to hang my wedding dress on the four poster rail which meant it didn't catch on the floor).
The morning of the wedding the whole team at the hotel went above and beyond all expectations to make a very emotional ceremony/day run like clockwork. I received fantastic personal support before the service when panic set in when the wedding hair and makeup lady cancelled on me (aka weddingsbyneila) thank goodness for nieces and Blane!
The service was held in the restaurant, on entering the room my breath was taken by how amazing it looked. We asked if they could incorporate a few extras on the day, from lace bunting overhead, to the live streaming of the ceremony to my father that was unable to attend, the team did all that they could to make it the best day of our lives. We enjoyed a drinks reception with canapés, in the fantastic gardens overlooking Fowey, before assembling back to welcome guests into the restaurant. The room from our ceremony had been turned around into a beautiful and elegant dining room, in which we were served our fantastic wedding breakfast.
All of our guests were blown away with the food, service and attention throughout the day which flawlessly moved into the evening.
We enjoyed a romantic third day with delicious room service to enjoy on the balcony, rounded off with a late dinner in the restaurant (the nicest fillet steaks and a super bottle of 2011 fleurie). The hotel is a wonderful place, set in one of the most stunning locations on the cornish coast, but it is taken to an exceptional level by the amazing staff that ensure your every need is met.

Room Tip: The sea views are incredible, if you pick ground level you can sit outside to enjoy the sites and so...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JoPearce2014
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear Jo & Jeff,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

It was an absolute pleasure for myself and the team to look after you from start to finish.
It's so lovely to read that you had such a good day! We know how important all the detail is!

I will be sure to pass on all of your great feedback to the team.

We look forward to seeing you on your return visit for your anniversary, if not before.

There are newer reviews for The Fowey Hotel

Reviewed August 12, 2014

late booking for evening meal but fantastic view with excellent food & service .
stylish food , quality & reasonable quantity .
9.5 out of 10 .
need 200 characters but cannot add to the above ... just go & eat !!
thank you .

Room Tip: if boking meal , ask for window view over estuary .
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear sirlearie,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I love your style of review, great to see that you enjoyed our restaurant. We have a good arrangement of local produce and our own recipes to match!

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future restaurant booking.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Have just returned from a short break at Fowey Hotel. The staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs. We took the dog and they were more than happy to accommodate us all. The hotel is situated looking across the estuary, ideal to just sit and relax, always something to watch on the water.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear 513Amanda789,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us. We are a dog friendly hotel with specific rooms dedicated for just this situation. We have all of these lovely walks around the hotel, why should your dog miss out!

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed for one night in July and had perfect weather. The views from the veranda whilst whiling away the afternoon with afternoon tea or evening with a drink are spectacular. Our hotel room was cosy, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom clean and functional, although basic. The breakfast was very good and staff helpful and friendly. Parking can be difficult on site but we were directed to free on street parking only two minutes walk away. This is a great hotel in which to stay when visiting and exploring the fantastic town of Fowey. We look forward to returning in future.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear RazorParker,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I see you took full advantage of the views and the home made cream teas we have on offer. It is a fantastic spot to sit and watch the world go by.

I am not sure what standard of room you stayed in but we do have some lovely Premier rooms in the hotel, all with the added extra luxuries of Bathrobes, our own blend of bath salts, slippers as well as cafetiere coffee.

Our evening restaurant offers some of the best local cuisine in the town, well worth looking at one of our Dinner inclusive packages.

Please do let me know if you would like any assistance with a future visit to the hotel.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Looking around its easy to imagine the opulence of this hotel in its hay day, now though a little tired in places still has a charm and quirkiness about it.

The location is superb with stunning views across the estuary and the river mouth. Hotel parking can be a bit hit and miss and it’s advisable to book a parking space before you travel. The staff are courteous and helpful and the rooms clean and large.

We upgraded to a river view which is well worth the extra. We chose to eat dinner in Fowey as it’s only a pleasant 5 minute walk away. But the breakfast was delicious and plentiful.

This is a very nice hotel that undoubtedly is enhanced greatly by its unique location.

Be sure to sign up to the hotels mailing list as you often get special promotional offers.

We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Upgraded to a river view which is well worth the extra
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wessexwonderer

Dear Wessexwonderer,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

It's lovely to read that you had a great stay and seemed to get the best out of the area and the charm Fowey has to offer. As you say we have a very unique location, enhanced only by a good dose of sunshine I am sure you will agree.

Unfortunately we are a little limited with our car parking and we always advise guests to pre book a space when making a reservation. Otherwise there are facilities within walking distance from the hotel, all of which we would be more than happy to assist our guests to and from.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future to visit to Fowey, perhaps next time we can entice you into our restaurant.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Fowey hotel with my mother. We both had an absolutely excellent time. The hotel is classic and fairly old fashioned but still rather tastefully done. The view of the river is absolutely stunning and we were lucky enough to have beautiful weather, meaning Gin and Tonics on the terrace were absolutely necessary! We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first evening and it was fairly good, mains were okay although quite pricey. The disappointment came in the pudding.. I had the 'chocolate fondant' which had been over done and was not even slightly melt in the middle as it should be. My mother had the 'creme brûlée' which had unfortunately split whilst baking... Being a pastry chef myself I know I can be a bit critical! The hotel is in great walking distance of the town and other restaurants so we dined out the other nights. Overall a lovely stay with great service and staff.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Camilla K,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us, the G&T's are proving to be a popular choice out on the Terrace. Lovely when we have the sun over us all day.

I am sorry to see that you weren't quite as happy with your dinning experience, we have worked very hard on our offerings, especially with local produce and our own recipes. I do hope that the experience has not dampened your will to return to us in the future. I would be more than happy to welcome both yourself and your mother back and I insist that you have dessert on us!

Please do feel free to contact me directly to help with any future visits. My email is gm.fowey@richardosnhotels.co.uk or my telephone number is 01726 832551.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel is situated overlooking the river, a hub of interesting boating activity each day, yet sitting in the surrounding gardens is so peaceful and relaxing. Everyone is so helpful from the friendly reception staff to the housekeeping team. Rooms are always immaculate, comfortable and clean, with plenty of towels and accessories in the roomy bathrooms. We found the restaurant food to be consistently excellent with plenty of choice, and each day enjoyed a good hearty full english breakfast to start the day off. The local quaint shops are only a short walk down the road and the local ferry to take you across the river to Polruan is virtually right next to the hotel's grounds down a short slip-way. So handy. We found the hotel very easy to find and strongly recommend reserving a car space when making a booking like we did. Having stayed here before we knew parking space is a little limited. All in all we had a most enjoyable stay and our very well-behaved pet dog was also very happy too. He was made most welcome and also enjoyed a few trips on the river!

Room Tip: We always ask for river views, but all there rooms are specious and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Dear Jean T,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

It sounds like you all had a lovely break with us. The team will be pleased to see such a lovely review, very flattering indeed!

Your feedback is invaluable to us and we do appreciate your kind and thoughtful review.

We look forward to welcoming you all back very soon.

Chris Bailey-Lewis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Old Quay House Hotel
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Talland Bay Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow

Been to The Fowey Hotel? Share your experiences!