“Excellent Service”
Review of The Fowey Hotel

The Fowey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We recently spent two nights at The Fowey Hotel to celebrate a special birthday. Very friendly service from the moment we arrived and were helped to our reserved parking space. Whilst it was our first time at the hotel every member of staff greeted us as though we were returning guests, recognizing us by name as we entered the restaurant.
Our room on the lower ground floor had the most beautiful view across the estuary to Polruan with doors opening onto a balcony.
We booked half board. Breakfast was excellent and freshly cooked and dinner was superb, great choices and so well presented. As it was a special occasion we dressed for dinner and it was nice to see so many others did the same.
Although it is a lovely Victorian building with many original features, our bedroom was beautifully decorated and furnished in a Boutique style with all modern facilities including a spa bath and separate shower cubicle.
We will certainly return.

Room Tip: You have to choose a sea view room to get a parking space, charged at £10 per night and this is your...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear MichaelG,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Its great to read you had such a lovely stay with us. We aim to make all of our guests feel welcome the minute they walk through the door.
We have a very high standard of customer service instilled into the team, the extra attention to detail we offer helps for your experience to be almost seamless.

We also offer excellent package deals that include all sorts of lovely extras, such as flowers, locally made chocolates and many more.

We have a beautiful Victorian building that has stood the test of time, she needs a lot of attention throughout the year, well worth it for our repeat customers and new alike.

Please do let me know if I can of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on a 'romantic getaway package' in a superior sea view room with reserved parking, breakfast and dinner included. Also flowers, chocolate dipped strawberries and sparkling wine upon arrival. Strongly recommend this package.

When booking I spoke to Stacey who was very helpful and honest.

Wifi was ok. Vodafone signal was non existent, but my mrs phone was ok with O2.

Lovely gardens to relax and enjoy stunning view.

The location is awesome if you're looking for scenery and relaxation. Some shops, boat trip, bars and restaurants a short walk away. Not much else to do. The Eden Project is a short drive away but to be honest it bored the pants off of me, but if plants is your thing, it's great.

Breakfast is excellent with great choice.

I had a 'trio of pork' main meal at dinner which lacked seasoning and flavour but other than that, generally the food is exceptional and the presentation is top class.

I never found service below expected standard and the staff attitude was always very friendly. However I have to say there was a little inconsistency. We had a chap at dinner called Jason, who was very attentive, proactive and had a fantastic enthusiasm about him. We spoke to him about the area etc as you do and he was most helpful. Dinner the next night was great but Jason was not there, and neither was his standard of attentiveness. Nothing bad, but always hard for a good act to follow a great act. This isn't so much a moan but an observation that they have a real gem there and the other staff should aspire to be more like him.

The room (404) was huge with nice bathroom and amazing view with double doors leading outside. I know they recently had a refurb' so I was a little disappointed to see the skirting board had not been painted, with wall paint slapped over the edge - basically unfinished. Also the pillar outside our room (in view) is in need of rubbing down and painting. The exterior does look like it needs attention in places but to be fair, I know very well that coastal properties get tired very quickly and it is a big hotel.

I have to say, there is an issue with the temperature in the room. It was approximately 18 oC by day and 12 oC at night outside, so far from a hot summer temperature, but we were pretty warm in our room with the windows open and without the heating on. I think some kind of ventilation or air conditioning is required.

All in all lovely place, may well go again some day. Please don't be put off by my pedantic faults, I'm just judging with a perfectionist eye as that is what a hotel with staff like this should be judged on. It's not cheap and I do think they strive for perfection at this hotel and in my opinion, it is these minor points that are the difference. I think the fact that the manager takes the time to respond to the feedback speaks volumes.

Room Tip: Room 404. Sea view superior. Ground floor but still had great view of the gardens and of course the...

Dear Tony B,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel,

The Romantic Breaks package offers excellent value to our customers, we much prefer to add value to our offerings, straight forward Bed & Breakfast packages are of course an offering we do as well. I think that the innovation and thought of what our guests might like when they arrive just adds a little more to your trip..

We have an excellent front of house team that only offer friendly, honest and local service. Its what our guests expect when staying at The Fowey Hotel.

Unfortunately we are limited with Vodafone signal in Fowey, however we do offer very reasonable telephone rates in the rooms as well as a phone on the front desk for emergencies.

We have recently started to work with an amazing team of gardeners that are looking to further improve our already wonderful gardens. Watch this space as this time next year we will have fabulously bloomed gardens.

We have some excellent local shops and restaurants in the town, all offering their own individual take on local food and drink. Boat trips are a brilliant way to see Fowey from the Estuary at this time of year. There is also a great local Kayaking scene as well.

We have worked tirelessly with our local suppliers to make sure we offer only the best examples of the produce Cornwall and Fowey has to offer. I will say that we do keep our seasoning very light in all elements of our food, we believe that the flavours in the food do all the hard work. Everyone has their own individual palate, we try and aim for a good balance of flavour and seasoning.

Thank you for your kind comments about the restaurant team, in particular Jason. He is , as you say a gem for us. He offers his full attention to all of guests at all times. I will be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to the team.

We have had a light refurbishment in the hotel and brought standards to where they need to be, that's not say that we have finished, it is a big hotel that needs lots of love. We have an excellent maintenance engineer that continually works on the hotel.
We have looked at the items you have mentioned, I would like to apologise for these small niggles, I am like yourself, it has to be right. We have to look at these items through the eyes of our customers to truly appreciate how important they are.

I am sorry that you felt to warm in your room at night time, we do supply fans in the room to assist with any discomfort. We have the heating on very low at this time of year, but isolate all the rooms, that way if you would like to adjust you can of your own accord or we would of course be happy to assist any guests with this.

Thank you so much for your thorough review of the hotel, without your constructive feedback we would miss out on what our customers need from us. We will use your points to improve our standards an train where necessary.

Please do let me know if I can of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Back again at the Fowey hotel. My wife and I love this hotel it offers everything we need and look for in a hotel.location this hotel has one of the best sites in Cornwall in lovely grounds .the views from this hotel are fabulous and from our room 102 you just cannot get better views in Fowey(but please don't book this room it's ours). The staff at this hotel are simply the best,we received a very warm welcome on arrival made us feel more like friends not just another customer. The food just gets better(if that's possible )great chefs,there are some nice changes to the restaurant menue this means we did not want to dine in town.the new bar menue is also superb offering great food for lunch. We have stayed in other hotels in Cornwall but have to say this hotel offers the best value for money. The only downside is we have to go home on Friday 5days go to quickly but look forward to returning soon.Peter&Deanna

Room Tip: Always go for a seaview room

Dear Peter and Deanna,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Its an absolute pleasure when you both come to stay with us. Like yourselves, many of our guests love what the room (102) has to offer. The views are unmatched in the hotel, the balcony you have just lends itself to a glass of wine whilst watching the world go by.

I am delighted to read that you like what we have done with the menus, we work alongside our suppliers to obtain only the most local and fresh ingredients.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to the team.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Generasl Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Wonderful location with many rooms overlooking the estuary and sea. Comfortable, well-equipped rooms. Good Wifi. On-site parking (at extra cost). Expensive as the season progresses, but probably worth it. Staff all friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a room with estuary view and balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear norcliff,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

We currently offer 24 rooms overlooking the estuary, they all have their own individual view point, we even have a room with a wonderful balcony overlooking all aspects of the view.

The staff are a great asset to our product, they all aim to make each of our guests experience that much better.

Please do let me know if I can of assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A wonderful old hotel. Beautiful River views. Nice size rooms. Wonderful breakfast, cold buffet and anything hot you want to order. Bar menu all day and evening for light fare, (not so light) the goat cheese tart was a starter but enough for a meal and so delicious!!! Chicken is out of this world...fish exquisite. The Coastal path is minutes by foot and the ferry to Megavissy is fun.

Room Tip: any room is nice but for a little more the river view is really fantastic.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 66travelor

Dear 66Travelor,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

We are very proud of what our hotel has to offer, including the location. the hotel was built with comfort and space in mind. Our intimate lounges and restaurant all offer the same fantastic views as our sea-view rooms do.

Its lovely to read that enjoyed our food so much, we have put a lot of effort into sourcing local produce. Mark Griffiths, our head chef has a well trained team on hand to deliver well executed end product. he is one of a handful of Masterchefs in the county.

All of the local attractions offer charm and character, none to be missed!

Pleased do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Have just returned from a short break at this lovely hotel which overlooks the Fowey estuary. We would recommend booking a sea view room and pre-booking the car park. Breakfast is very good and roast beef for Sunday lunch excellent and good value at £15 for 3 courses (don't miss the sticky toffee pudding!)

Room Tip: Sea view rooms worth paying extra for

Dear CAJGF,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I quite agree, our sea view rooms are very in demand, well worth the upgrade for the view and the extra little comforts we give. Car parking is limited within the grounds, however we are always happy to help guests park locally.

We try and offer great value services to all of our guests, including our fabulous Sunday lunches. We also offer delicious home made cream teas all afternoon, all the little luxuries our guests have become accustomed to.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Lovely, hotel, easy walking distance to all amenities. Beautiful view. Relaxing setting. Very friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast was lovely, with choice of fish which was lovely. I would definetly stay there again. We did lots of sightseeing by day and staff members gave us some good tips which was appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor sea view room. We didn't have a great view as we looked inland on 1st...
1  Thank shadbolts

Dear shadbolts,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Its lovely to read that you appreciated all of our little extras that we have in the hotel. Fish is a must have on the menu for breakfast, very popular too.

Relaxation is the key with us at The Fowey, we have such a lovely back drop, its the best way to take it all in.

Staff are a real credit to the hotel, we cannot create the atmosphere we have without them. I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to the team.

Please do let me know if you would like any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

Chris Bailey-Lewis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Old Quay House Hotel
The Alverton
The Alverton
#2 of 4 in Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to The Fowey Hotel? Share your experiences!