“Excellent value”
Review of The Fowey Hotel

The Fowey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We took our American family for a one night stay at the Fowey Hotel on our whizz round the sites of Cornwall in mid March.
The hotels position is fab with lovely views over the estuary/harbour.
Our room looked over the back but was very comfortable, warm and excellent value.
Our guests had a smaller room but with lovely views. Their bed was smaller too. I have to add that we arent complaining as we went for the cheapest rooms and were suprised how good they were.
We took a meal in the bar which we found very good. I had fresh plaice goujons in light crispy batter -yum!
Breakfast was very good, plenty of cereals, fruit, yogurt, croissant, toast etc and good choice of cooked to follow.
The dining room is quite smart and the staff most welcoming, our guests were impressed.
Girls on reception were helpful and friendly, all in all a great find.
Will be going back for a winter break next year, hopefully for longer.

Room Tip: If you want a king size bed or larger room, ask the girls on reception
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Jane G,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

It's lovely to read that you found our hotel a delight to you and your family. We love the great feed back as it makes it all worth the while for us.
We have some stunning sites in and around the area, all well worth the trip we to think.

We'd love to welcome you and your family in the future, the Premier rooms we have offer some of the best views in the area.
Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future visit to Fowey.

I look forward to welcoming you all back soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had a two night three day break here. Our room was well appointed with wonderful riverward views.It was spacious very comfortable with the added amusement of a spa bath!
The only only beef was the parking. Having paid for a reserved space, which was inadequate for a wide car. The husband had to keep going out to check on his baby in case any one had winged it. This was more than a distinct possibility as the bonnet overlapped a road. However, we survived and it is a good policy to reserve a placement because the parking situation generally in the town is diabolical.
Now, back to good stuff. The evening meals were superb. Lovely to look at and consume!

Lovely, helpful knowledgeable staff too. All rather nice

Room Tip: Up grade to a Premier for the views.

Dear Frances S,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Your feedback on your room and general experience of the hotel is fantastic, thank you once again. I will be sure to feed this back to the team.

Our car park does have limitations as you suggest, this is why we obtain each guests car information upon booking. That way we can allocate you an appropriate space.
The parking in Fowey itself is very centrally located, with two large facilities within a few minutes walk form the hotel. We are more than happy to assist any guests to and from the local facilities.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The staff at this hotel are vey pleasant and the dinner we had was excellent. The view from our room on the 3rd floor, overlooking the water, was beautiful. However, the window didn't fit properly so it rattled and let in a draught. The bed was also too small, but we could only get a standard room. On arrival we didn't have the parking space that we had reserved, so there was a bit of hassle, but they managed to park us behind the hotel car and found us our correct space the next day.

Room Tip: The standard rooms (which was all we could get) have very small double beds.
1  Thank Shirley H

Dear Shirley H,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

I am sorry to read that we could not get the room standard you desired, we have been very busy of late. All of our premier rooms to tend to go very quickly, so it's always best to book early and direct with the hotel or central reservations.

I would like to apologise that you didn't experience the normal high level of comfort in your room. Please be reassured that we will look into your comments and get the issues resolved. Without your feedback we are unable to improve our product for all of our future guests.

If you are thinking of returning to the hotel please do let me know and I will be happy to personally assist you with your booking.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here for a 2-night break in a premier sea view room. The room was wonderful: spacious with two comfortable arm chairs in the bay window where we could sit and admire the stunning views over the river and out to the bay. We brought our dog with us and they provided a bag of doggie extras for her stay! and it was refreshing to be allowed to stay with our dog in a premier room rather than be limited to small rooms at the back of hotels that we have experienced elsewhere. Food was delicious with excellent choice. This is our third visit and we will definitely return

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are recommended as the views from them are stunning

Dear 209011Cathy,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Your feedback is of the hotel is very flattering, we strive to make sure that each guests stay is a memorable one. We are indeed very fortunate to have the spot we do.

I will be sure to pass on your valued feedback to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Please do let em know if I can be of any assistance with your next visit.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We enjoyed an out of season 3 day break at an excellent price for dinner, bed and breakfast. The staff were very obliging, the food very good and the service likewise. The parking is a bit difficult, but we knew what to expect and it wasn't too much of a problem. I will be back.

Geoff Rees

Dear Mr Rees,

Thank you for your recent review of the Fowey Hotel.

I will be sure to pass your great feedback on to the team.

Please do let me know if I can be of assistance with your next visit to Fowey.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had already experienced the Richardson hotel group In previous years at Padstow and Torquay, so our expectations were high. Pleased to say we were not disappointed.
Whilst the approach to the hotel is slightly difficult and parking limited there is quiet street parking relatively nearby, all other aspects of the hotel are first class. The location itself provides superb views of the estuary.
The attitude and helpfulness of the staff is very good and attention to detail and overall service is excellent.
Rooms are spacious and well presented. The restaurant and quality of food is of a very high standard with again excellent service.
In summary we had an extremely enjoyable and relaxing stay and will definitely be returning.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christopher B, General Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Graham E,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Its great to read that we looked after you so well. We have a consistent standard throughout the group that remains the fore front of everything we do. I will be sure to pas your kind comments on to the team.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future stay in Fowey.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was given vouchers for Richardson Hotels for my birthday and we chose this hotel because it is not too far from home (mid Devon) and Fowey is a small, quiet place, especially out of season.
Our 'premier' room had a fantastic view over the river across to Polruan. The bed was really comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was luxurious with separate bath and shower and large fluffy bath towels.
We ate in the restaurant one evening and the food was fantastic. On Saturday afternoon we had a cream tea and my only complaint of the whole weekend was that the scones were rather flat and seemed to be 'bought in', tasting a bit mass produced.
Last but not least I must comment on the staff.....they were ALL friendly and accommodating with a ready smile and a little joke where appropriate.
Altogether a brilliant stay.

Room Tip: Parking is very limited at this hotel. If you ask for a 'premier plus' room you get a parkin...

Dear Janflavin,

Thank you for your recent review of The Fowey Hotel.

Great to read that you enjoyed your stay so much, Fowey is a very different place out of season. Definitely worth comparing to mid season, a good mix of sunshine and a lovely atmosphere certainly makes for a pleasant place to be.

Our rooms are of a high standard throughout, with the sea view rooms being the most popular. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the level of comfort you feel our rooms offer.

I would like to apologise for the scones you had, this is not something we ever get complaints about, all of our scones are made in house, that I can assure you of. I will feedback this back to our head chef and make sure the scones are of the right standard.

We have a good team at the hotel that genuinely enjoy their job, I will be sure to feed this back to the team for you.

Please do let me know if I can be of assistance with a future stay in Fowey.

Chris Bailey-Lewis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Old Quay House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Truro
Talland Bay Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow

Been to The Fowey Hotel? Share your experiences!