“Lovely hotel and excellent staff”
Review of Fowey Hall

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We booked a 2 night break at the end of the third week of January. We arrived on Thursday and the hotel was quite quiet. Our room was ready even though we arrived well before the scheduled check-in time. We were invited to a brief tour of the hotel, which was informative and certainly made us feel at home.
The hotel staff were excellent - very polite, professional and friendly in all their actions. We ate in the dining room on Friday and, as other guests have commented, the service was of a very high standard. The meal was unhurried and we spent as much time as we wished in deciding what to eat and drink. The bedroom and bathroom were both of generous proportions, with views over the estuary.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Fowey Hall to anyone who wants a lovely break in a superb setting free from the stresses of day-to-day life.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear 'Simon F'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your January break at Fowey Hall and glad you managed to 'escape from the stresses of day to day life'!

There are newer reviews for Fowey Hall

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Enjoyed a lovely two day stay because of a friends wedding. We had a special offer room and breakfast rate and pleased we did as I certainly do not think it warrants the usually high price. I found the rooms, although classed as deluxe, somewhat tired in places and work has been completed a little shoddily in places. Our room overlooked the river which is lovely with beautiful French doors to the garden. This however was spoilt by the fact everyone could see into the room not only from the garden but from the ballroom/restaurant so keeping the curtains open to let the view be appreciated was not a good option. A little thought and non reflective glass would be an asset.
I do not consider large, refillable receptacles in the bathroom to be that of 'luxury' and much prefer my own items. I know the Premier Inns and Travelodge adopt this style of bathroom facilities but this is the only luxury hotel we have stayed in which has done this and I consider this to be low to mid range not 'luxury'.

Though I appreciate the party was large for breakfast the food was cold. I informed the staff who tried to rectify it but without much success. I didn't realise how difficult it was to get right a very basic English breakfast.
The communal areas are lovely and very inviting. The reception area is small and unassuming with a very tired bowl of fruit, again a poor image for a 'luxury' hotel.
The restaurant food was lovely, beautifully presented and very tasty except the dessert. My husband was looking forward to his Banoffee knickerbockerglory. He did wish to eat it rather than drink it but also wouldn't complain about it sadly.

Settling the bill was an easy affair to a point. The first bill did not include our evening meal. I pointed this out to the receptionist who rectified it. Sadly I then had to point out she had charge too much and so had to refund some of the monies.
Some small adjustments are required to bring this hotel into the luxury range and it is my opinion they are resting on the wonderful view to sell their rooms rather than the experience.

The staff are warm, friendly and very helpful. The hotel has got this right for sure.

We are experienced travellers and have stayed in every type and grade of hotel from Travelodges to the worlds most exclusive hotel the Burj Al Arab and everything in between so I consider we know what we are talking about.

Room Tip: If staying at this hotel ask for a room in the main building with a view over the River Fowey. I con...

Dear 'adrianandlois'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor, you clearly experienced some issues with your room and breakfast service during your stay with us, please accept my apologies for this.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends for the poor experience that you had. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards
Chris Williams (General Manager)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Booked a two day break at Fowey Hall. The experience was outstanding a unique blend of informality, outstanding service, and friendliness. The staff were excellent, on arrival there was a guided tour,the service in the various rooms was quick and efficient. The food both the snacks and main meals were fabulous,the breakfast probably the best ever both in variety and quality.
The room was spacious with a lovely view, a very comfortable bed and a terrific bathroom. We cannot fault this hotel experience.
The pool and spa rounded off an excellent few days.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are facing the harbour and whilst the weather was changeable! I am sure in th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear 'Michael B'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your two day break at Fowey Hall and glad that you enjoyed the laid back luxury we offer.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had a one night escape to this delightful hotel. Everything and everybody, welcoming, warm, clean and tidy. Treating myself to the luxury of 2 spa treatments was such a great rejuvenation, and the spa and pool rooms are well fitted and warm, so important when you're taking your clothes off!!. The food was excellent, breakfast choices unusual, but in a good way,and there's a varied selection of fresh and compote fruits which we love. Service great, everybody seems happy with their lot which makes a refreshing change to some hotels which can be stiff and starchy.
We had a poor nights sleep because the bed was not great but we mentioned this at reception and, hopefully, they will remedy this.
The location is stunning, looking straight out over Fowey harbour, it must be delightful to sit out and eat in the summer with the glorious views, sadly is was not so nice, or warm enough, but it is January.
The wines are very pricey, as are the full priced rooms. We had an excellent deal through Travel Zoo, well worth it. I'm not sure I would stay at the full price rate, although there are some good deals available through their own website.We would certainly recommend this hotel for a nice treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view

Dear 'englishgirly'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your short break at Fowey Hall in particular the spa treatments you enjoyed with us. Thank you for also notifying us of the bed which you unfortunately found uncomfortable during your stay -we can now resolve this matter for other guests.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed over Christmas with our eldest son,great daughter-in-law and lovely granddaughters .Sadly our youngest son and family could not join us but we all had an excellent time.The organised events for the children was wonderful and they made many new friends.The hotel has the balance right,whilst as well as entertaining the children,a great deal of thought was put into making it a very relaxing time for parents/grandparents.The food was excellent,varied and well cooked and presented.

Room Tip: A room in the main house to avoid walking in and out when the weather is poor/wet!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Barbaraess'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your Christmas break at Fowey Hall and glad that all the whole family was entertained and relaxed during the festivities.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed for a few days in January 14 on full board in one of their deluxe rooms. The staff were very attentive. The breakfast menu was enormous and you could still ask for something else. View from the hotel over the estuary was wonderful. 10 minute, steep walk to town centre and ferry. They had wellingtons to borrow, buckets and spades for the children, umbrellas, videos and books. Evening menu was limited but still good food. Only 2 observations - the hot water was too hot!! Came out of the tap boiling. The bedroom was to warm even with the heat off! Lovely wood fires in the common rooms of which there are many.

Room Tip: Choose one overlooking the estuary.

Dear 'The_Leprechaun_in_UK'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your break at Fowey Hall and thank you for your observations regarding the hot water and heat- we will certainly investigate this.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in between Christmas and new year. I have really been debating whether to rate 3 or 4 stars, but as my son (almost 3) really didn't want to leave, I've upped to 4!

The hotel itself is lovely and probably the most family friendly hotel we've been to.....yet it doesn't feel like it's overrun with kids. I didn't feel at all conscious by the fact we were there with two young children (aged 2.5 yrs, and 8 months) should they make a little noise, which was refreshing in itself. Equally, as the public areas are warm, cosy and with lovely décor, the time we had alone there was quiet and relaxing. The facilities were great, lovely pool and the crèche is superb. There's lots of things to keep the kids amused from collecting the eggs, to the games room. The childrens tea was the best offering I've seen, with great choice of healthy, home cooked meals and purée for the baby. All things thought of, from bibs to bright table cloths. Wouldn't recommend the bottle cleaning service however, ours was still in the dirty basket when I went to pick it up the next day! The ones in the clean basket looked liked they had been returned well after their owners had left!

The restaurant itself was lovely, although tables a little too close together, it wasn't that busy so not an issue. Food was very good. It's adults only in the evening which is great, but had the odd older kid popping in to see their parents, which actually gave it a nice relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast was ok although trying to order took sometime due to lack of staff!

The room: this was a huge let down for us. We booked a 'family suite'. A suite for me means a comfy seating area and a large comfy bed. It had neither! We had a room on the top floor of the main house, where the soft furnishings could do with a little updating (the carpet was worn through in places and rolling up at the edges). The bed was small and when one moved, the other woke! This is a biggie for us, as when we go away we expect the same level of comfort as we have at home....we didn't sleep well and left tired!

On putting the baby to bed on the second night, I noticed the blanket had simply been folded over the place on the sheet where she had quite obviously been a little sick the night before! Rearranging the sheet, I realised the travel cot had no mattress, simply the hard base board....no wonder she also had a restless sleep!

We ordered room service the first night (which was a challenge as none of staff seemed to know which menu we could order from). But as there was no decent seating area in our 'suite', we ate in the pokey corridor area of the room.

So in all, a lovely hotel, one of the best for families and or son loved it, but rather let down for us by the room and the odd slip of service. I do think the room descriptions could be amended so you know what to expect for your money. Perhaps there would have been a better room for us, I certainly wouldn't return to the same room!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsCBristol

Dear 'MrsCBristol'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I was disappointed to read that you seemed to experience some issues with your room and a few housekeeping concerns and for this I must apologise.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this feedback further and please do give us another chance - if you would like to visit us again I would like to take care of your booking personally.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to speak with you soon.

With kind regards

Chris Williams

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!