“Dirty!”

Fowey Hall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowey
“Dirty!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

After 3 nights at the Waterhate Bay hotel we checked into the Fowey Hall hotel on a last minute basis as we wanted to stay in the area. We were shown to a room which was very disappointing but we had no choice but to stay as was the only free accomodation in the area. We decided to go for a swim before dinner and instantly regretted this! The pool area was filthy! The changing rooms smelt, the towels were old and thread bare and there was a nasty sludge around the edge of the pool which had clearly be there some time. On returning to the room, it became clear just how dirty it was. Hairs in the bathroom which didn't belong to us, the cups and spoons on the hospitality tray were dirty and the pillows were stained. I called reception to complain and they moved us to a new room. Again the pillows were stained (they did replace them but not sure why they didn't use clean ones in the first place!), there was cobwebs in the shower and a bottle lid was under the bed..., clearly they don't clean properly. To be fair the lady who moved us was very helpful and brought us a glass of champagne but we shouldn't of had to complain in the first place. It should be clean!! Food was good although portion sizes were a little small. Breakfast was tasty. Overall, this place could be lovely if they cleaned it properly! Location and views were amazing. Shame that this place ruined the last night of our honeymoon.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Knighton1
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear 'Knighton1'

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on trip advisor as well as completing one of our feedback forms following your recent stay with us. Once again please accept my apologies for the cleanliness of your room and Spa when you stayed with us last weekend.

I am glad that I have had an opportunity to discuss this with you in person and I hope you will take me up on my offer to come and stay with us again.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall.

Chris Williams, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Having had a great one night stay at Ickworth our expectations of Fowey Hall were already high. Thankfully our expectations were met...and then some. Breathtaking views, great location and staff that bent over backwards to ensure our needs were met.We originally were housed in the seperate building away from the main hotel, this left us a little concerned when leaving our ickle one, no worries...we were then moved the next night to a lovely larger suite at no extra cost. Throughout the break the staff were friendly, helpful and the overall feeling was relaxed yet professional. The hotel has an usual feel, modern yet olde world and all of the different rooms have a completely different feel to them. The pool was clean, the hot tub had an amazing view and the break was amazing. My only (slight) criticism was the food was just above average, it was ok included in the price but we felt it would have been overpriced at £42.50 per head which is reasonably high, not in any way bad but I think there could be improvements. However, all in all 100% recommended and if you can get a deal then its a steal! p.s the piano needs to be closed down to prevent annoying kids plimky plonking at annoying times!

Room Tip: The rooms in the hotel were much quieter than the rooms in the converted building. We could hear a l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear 'Michael3140'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the team helpful as they did their best to accommodate you within the main house to make you feel more at ease when leaving your little one in the room whilst the baby listening service was on. I have also taken note of you food comments - we are currently reviewing all menu offerings and will certainly consider your thoughts whilst doing so.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon

Chris Williams (General Manager) & the Fowey Hall Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Glorious service and staff, just right. Outstanding food. Two fabulous nights in spacious wing of main house. Maintenance and upkeep perhaps slightly behind the curve but I can see that they are catching up after recent change of ownership. Built around the kids, handy for those parents that need a bit of breathing space. Highly recommended. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for delux interconnecting rooms attached to main house, far superior to courtyard roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear 'Andy S'

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us with your family. Luxury Family Hotels have certainly been busy since they took over the hotel in December last year - having already refurbished the courtyard rooms, installed a new heating system and decorated all the public areas throughout but there is still more to come with more plans due to start early next year to see the whole hotel fully refurbished and revitalised to its former glory.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon

Chris Williams (General Manager) & the Fowey Hall Team
St Mawes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Booked with 2 girlfriends for treatments in the Spa. Very efficient service and extremely relaxing. Well worth the money. Would highly recommend. Nice and clean.

We were going to go into the Hotel for lunch. Sat outside at a table. Waited for a while, nobody came along so one of us went in to ask if we could have lunch. It was 12.30pm on a Thursday during Fowey Week - mid August. The member of staff said that she "would have to see if the kitchen could accommodate us". My friend not very pleased. One other table sitting outside so they were not busy but I suppose could have had a large party booked in. Some menus then arrived pretty quickly but decided that we would go back to our house in the centre of Fowey and have something down there.

Had a soft drink each £7.50 for 2 x 1/2's of diet coke and a small glass of sparkling water. Pretty expensive. Went to pay and again service poor. Nobody seems to be around? Would do the Spa again but not too keen to try the food/drink/service. Shame really as lovely setting and great views. Done ratings on the massage not the Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank burrowsemma
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear ‘Burrowsemma’

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, I was pleased to read you enjoyed your spa experience ast Fowey Hall but disappointed that the service was not up to our usual standards.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person in order that I can make amends for the poor experience that you had. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

After staying for a few nights at the wonderful Watergate Bay Hotel, our two nights at Fowey Hall were a big disappointment. The hotel staff, facilities and breakfast were poor for the price paid. Understaffed and under invested was the feeling. Free wifi was either non-existent or so patchy it was not worth the hassle. My sense is that standards overall must have slipped significantly over several years. I suggest the management stay at Watergate for a night to get a sense of customer expectations for these rates and for the quality they claim from Fowey Hall. Either that or reduce prices and promises. PS (to the hotel management) suggest you respond first to hand written and verbal feedback (complained twice about the lack of internet) before responding to TripAdvisor comments - we left comments and an email address.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank squorkit
Dear 'Squorkit'

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on trip advisor as well as completing one of our feedback forms following your recent stay with us. Once again please accept my apologies for the areas of the hotel and service that did not come up to standard.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Fowey Hall.

Guildford
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my partner last weekend, for a two-night stay at the start of a seven-night holiday in Cornwall. We Googled 'Hotels with swimming pools' which is how we found this. It is in a magnificent location, surrounded by imposing and beautiful monterey pine trees (I think!). It is an imposing old building in decent-sized grounds overlooking Fowey Harbour. The views are amazing, and the walk down the steep, narrow hill to the little town of Fowey is good fun and great exercise! The lawn in front of the building has a badminton net and a large trampoline, and apparently there are organised children's activities there (and in the pool) in the late afternoons to give the adults a break. Our rooms were in an annex, a fair walk from the main building, which was fine in August but might be a bit of a hassle in rainy weather. The annex was through a gate similar to a farm gate, and it became apparent that guests with children and dogs (both welcome) are often placed in this part for added security. The room was modern and comfortable, and the bathroom spacious and stylish, with a good bath and super shower.

We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel, and the food was excellent, with a higher-than-usual amount of vegetarian options for me. The children were (thankfully) seated in an adjoining room with their parents. I have to pay tribute to a very engaging and professional waitress called Cherish!

My only grievance is with the leisure facilities which made me book this hotel. The swimming pool was fine, although I was aghast to see there were no adult-only times. One day my swim co-incided with an almost full-pool of very energetic young children under the eye of just a couple of nannies, who seemed disinterested, and maybe one other adult. But it was the changing rooms which were my main gripe: really, really messy and untidy, with dirty towels everywhere, the floor water-logged, and children's clothing and shoes all over the place, too. It was like this on both my visits. On the plus side, there is a great outdoor jacuzzi which overlooks the bay/harbour, so that is compensation of sorts!

To sum up: an excellent hotel, particularly if you are child-friendly. We're not, in particular, but I would stay there again, although maybe not in the school holidays!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Declan M
FoweyHallHotel, General Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear ''Declan M"

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that in the main you enjoyed your break away with us - we have taken on board your comments regarding the leisure facilities and are actively doing our best to keep the pool and changing areas more ship shape as they should be.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fowey Hall again soon

Chris Williams & the Fowey Hall Team
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We booked a courtyard suite for a two nights stay. When we arrived, we were swiftly checked in by reception. The room was a renovated one which i had requested after reading the previous reviews. The carpets in the room were heavily stained and the toilet seat had a urine stain on it. I immediately called reception and a lady with a toilet bowl brush and harpic came along. Before she even saw the stain she said that it was probably 'rust' because the room had been renovated. When i actually pointed out the 'yellow' stain which was quite clearly not rust and a urine stain,she agreed. I noticed that she did not have a disinfectant spray with her and was content cleaning the seat with a toilet brush...pretty nasty. I told her to clean it with a disinfectant spray, which did arrive shortly. The green carpets in the room had brown and white stains scattered all over, likely to be milk and coffee stains but no attempt had been made to clean them. We had to lay a sheet on the floor so that our 10 month old would not crawl on the dirty carpet. The staff at the hotel though was extremely polite throughout our stay. The rooms were lacking ventilation with no cooling system and it was stuffy at night, with no fans either. The drain in the tub was not big enough to handle the water pressure of the shower, so water was accumulating higher than ankle level when taking a shower.
The room was called the 'Sea Rat'.
The breakfast was good but again when we arrived at 940, we had to wait 15 minutes for someone to take our order. To make matters worse, we had to request for toast three times and it finally arrived after more than 20minutes, at which point we had finished our breakfast. The staff at the hotel, exception being the reception are poorly trained, something you would not expect when you are paying £280 per night. However they were polite and tried to make amends wherever they could. The hotel is very beautiful,with lots of character and charm. I only wish that they sort their issues of what could have been a really pleasurable stay,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Fkjamali
Dear ‘Fkjamali’

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, you clearly did not enjoy your stay with us, please accept my apologies for this.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.

With kind regards

Chris Williams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowey
The Fowey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Porthallow
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Fowey Hall? Share your experiences!