“afternoon teas”

Fowey Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 43 Restaurants in Fowey
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Fowey's restaurant has retained coveted 2 AA Rosette recognition for exceptional food since 1997 and an extensive wine list compliments the menu. Our dinner menu offers a choice of dishes that make use of the best Cornish and regional produce seasonally available. The variety of dishes are skilfully prepared by a very experienced brigade and led by Master Chef Mark Griffiths. The deep, rich colours and ornate features in The Fowey’s restaurant are redolent of the grand days when hotels were busy, social hubs and dining out was an occasion. Such surroundings provide an atmospheric soupcon of past times, which combined with delicious food, makes dining here a totally pleasurable experience. The hotel will gladly cater for special dietary requirements and appreciates advance notice in this respect. For those wishing to dine more informally, a comprehensive Bar menu is from midday until 9pm.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a wonderful place to sit with beautiful views of the passing boats and life on the estuary. Really relaxing excellent service and wonderful food.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have lived in Fowey for 38 years; my husband worked in the Hotel back in the '70s, and I have been in catering for 20 years. The Fowey Hotel is, of choice, where we like to go to have a special meal with a stunning view. It was our wedding anniversary and I had prebooked and asked for a table for 4 in the window at 1.15. We arrived at 1.00, and were most helpfully given a disabled parking spot, as I had my disabled husband and 93 year old mother with us. After drinks in the bar, I had to go and ask for lunch menus and we quickly gave our orders. We were finally called to the dining room at 1.50pm. We were given a round table for 4 away from the window (two tables for two were in the bay window, but they declined to put them together for us - despite the only other customers being a table for 10 in the middle of the room, and two tables for two in the other bay window.)
The food, when it came was tasty and well presented. The roast beef pink and tender. I asked for horseradish sauce, and then had to also ask for a spoon. The roast potatoes had obviously wilted but the rest of the vegetables were good - although I question the economics of giving two dishes of nearly 15 potoatoes each to a table of 4. On asking I was told they were reused to feed the staff.
The worst delay came with our order for just two desserts, which took over half an hour from ordering and were served at 3pm. By which time my mother was prepared to walk out. This is a hotel where she first stayed in 1942. I had to go to reception to ask for a bill, as there was no one in the restaurant. I was given many apologies for the poor service but no recompense, so paid without leaving a service charge, as I did not feel I had received the service expected from a 4* restaurant. Quite obviously the restaurant staffing was woefully inadequate - which seems a shame, since 3 people were in reception.
I have regularly directed family and friends to stay at the Fowey Hotel in the past, I would not do so again until I heard better reports of the service.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great cream tea & very good value. Lovely friendly staff couldn't do enough even for non-residents and a fabulous view across the Fowey river from the balcony. A great end to a day's outing to Fowey.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I Had lunch with a friend in November on warm sunny day with the most beautiful view out to sea..We had the best fish ever and the most fantastic steamed orange pudding as light as a feather with a very good sauce anglaise.Service was friendly and informal,but super efficent service. This has been another great find and if your looking for style of yester year this is really worth a visit.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great value for money, excellent service, charming surroundings, stunning view and a vegetarian menu that didn't include pasta or cheese - heaven!