Tripadvisor

Pizza express
Ranked #60 of 342 Restaurants in Gateshead
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A fantastic casual dining experience in the Metrocentre, Gateshead. Brilliant for refuelling mid shop, relaxing before the cinema or treating the kids to some good fun! We offer a great gluten free range, as well as activity packs to keep the little ones entertained. Special occasion? Try one of our pizza making parties, available for adults or kids, where you can be a Pizziola for the day!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My partner had pollo pesto and I had lasagne. Food was hot and delicious. My partner commented on how she thought it was the nicest place we had been to in the food quadrant. She had a welcome glass of wine and we shared a delicious two scoops of ice cream with the salted caramel sauce. We were served by Ewelina who was attentive, smiling and made us feel welcome. We will definitely be going again.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (178)

Reviewed December 11, 2019

When myself and my partner arrived at the restaurant it was fairly empty yet we were offered a table inches away from where a family were sat. We asked to be seated at another table so we had more room as there were plenty empty tables and immediately faced attitude from the waitress huffing that she would 'have to wipe down another table' which we were happy for her to do but she did not reset this with cutlery for us.

After 10 mins no one had bothered to take our drinks order so I had to walk over to the staff to prompt them. When asking what they would recommended food wise I got yet more attitude from a different girl ''well what do you like.''

No one else in the restaurant seemed to receive the shoddy pitiful excuse of a service we had so far. I don't know if they were annoyed that I had asked to sit at different table & had to ask for someone to take my order but they really shouldn't be in this line of work if customers so easily anger them.

The food took a full hour to arrive and was adequate, not bad not good but certainly NOT WORTH THE WAIT. We didn't even get an apology for the wait. When we received the bill my partner still added a £5 tip (which on this occasion I certainly wouldn't have but he is too polite) on the card machine. When handing back the receipt to us another member of staff this time male looked at the gratuity and said with a sarcastic tone '' that goes to the kitchen not to me but thanks anyway''.

I've never received service this bad even in fast food restaurants and would strongly advise anyone thinking on dining here not too. Another thing to add Pizza Express had taken themselves off Meerkat meals (which I hadn't realised) and asked before they printed off my bill - no explanation, no apology or suggestion of another discount code - nothing! The same thing happened to a friend of mine when she visited Zizzi's and they politely explained they weren't on anymore but gave her an alternative discount code to use. I think I know where to take my business next time.......

Date of visit: December 2019
1  Thank chelsey26
Reviewed November 22, 2019 via mobile

In town to watch the England rugby game against Italy at St James’ Park. Did a little shopping before the match and decided to grab a quick pizza. The pizza was amazing, the service excellent. Overall a very good experience. Well worth a visit.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed October 22, 2019 via mobile

Very lovely food, very nice place just not enough staff for amount of customers. Lovely staff however service was slightly slow but understandable as there was lots of customers.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 18, 2019 via mobile

My Mum and I enjoyed a super lunch of pizza and pasta on Wednesday. I had the O2 Priority Moments offer on my phone. We were greeted by a very friendly Manager and seated at a nice table. Our classic spicy beef pizza and spicy veggie pasta were both delivered promptly and were both delicious. I have had several disappointing meals at Zizzi recently and much prefer the Pizza Express food quality and flavours. The staff were all very accommodating. There were some new members of staff being trained up while we were dining, who were also very friendly and attentive. Keep up the good work!

Date of visit: October 2019