“Brilliant on a budget”
Review of The Bewick Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gateshead
The Bewick Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
“Brilliant on a budget”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Having read the reviews on here we were a little sceptical but on arriving we were given room 6 which in all intensive purposes was really clean newly decorated with a clean bathroom and leather sofa fridge and 40" tv !!! ... Being 4 guys we made a little noise dropping 80 beer bottles on the floor and it was never a problem the owners were very kind and always seemed interested in our nightly pursuits all in all a great place on a budget

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gareth R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I booked the hotel as it seemed nice on Laterooms, and was close to my friends house (who I was visiting for her daughters dedication). Well, imagine my shock to find that on arrival the hotel had no booking for me at all. Whilst discussing this with the vile smelling owner (I think he may have a liking for a tipple or two!), another man came up and said to him 'got ourselves a cutie here' about me, they then proceeded to have a smile and the crazy man walked off jabbering to himself. No apology from the owner, just an abrupt set of directions to my room. After finally finding my room in the attic, I was very shocked. The room was awful. Dirty carpets, dirty bedding, a TV that didn'twork, dust on everything...basically not worth £58! So, after spending the day OUT of the hotel on purspose I had to return, but not before my friends mum had come to check it was safe. When I got into bed I began to itch, I was still unnerved by the man downstairs and now the excessive banging from the rooms either side of me. So, at 12pm, I caved in and left. My friend had to put me up on her sofa for the night as I was too terrified to stay there (the signs of the door being broken in also did not help!) On returning the day afetr to return my key, I was again greeted by the seemingly drunk owner. I told him I had left and that the room was filthy. He basically shrugged, as to say 'I really don't care, as I have your money now'. Oh yes, thats another thing...they make you pay up before youare even given a key. Possibly the most disgusting and scary experience for me so far. Women, NEVER EVER stay here by yourselves. The place screams unsafe!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Charlotte R

Travelers are raving about these Gateshead hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just stayed at this hotel and it is to be avoided at all costs. The first thing we noticed was a very nasty smell in the reception area. Having then been shown our room, we found it be very dirty. On looking round the room, immediately noticed the bedlinen not particularly clean. On moving the single bed in the room to try and sort out the tv which did not work properly there was stuck to the skirting board an old sweet and papers Obviously the room had not seen a duster or hoover for weeks). On moving to the bathroom, the bathroom floor was filthy, the sink basin plug was chronically black and did not look as if it had been cleaned for weeks. Needless to say it is the worst place we have ever stayed in. Not recommended at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank tompkinsm
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed in room 15 last week. I was disgusted as soon as i walked in the room. The shower was filthy. The walls were dirty. The radiator looked like it hadn't even been wiped in a very long time and it held remnants of what looked like someones throat they'd coughed up =( The window sill was covered in dirt, god only knows what the stain was on the wall, it looked like blood but it looked like it had been there a long time, it may have discoloured with time.
A curly hair on the bathroom door, (seriously)!?
Mold and dirt all over the shower basin & glass doors which made it impossible to even use the shower.
Even the kettle had a layer of dust and sticky smears and finger prints all over it. The bedside table was covered in dust, enough that i was able to create a face of sorts in it.
The owners were lovely people but they are seriously lacking in the cleaning skills that are needed when you have paying guests.
I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sharon s
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Avoid this "hotel" at all costs. According to local taxi drivers this place is well known for being the 2nd worst hotel in Newcastle. The booking was made as part of a hen party package, so watch out as you may end up staying here without intending to. When we arrived we found we weren't staying in the actual hotel but what appeared to be a house next door. On walking into our room, the stench of damp immediately hit us, a fly even dropped down dead in front of us, he couldn't take it anymore! The bathroom was probably the worst part of the experience. The water options in the shower were either scorching or freezing, so unless you have the skin of a Rhino, then you'll probably be disappointed. In taking a shower you'll also find that this is probably the first clean the unit has had in several weeks as lumps of mould leave the tiles and down the plug hole. There was also a sewage pipe exposed through a big hole in the bathroom floor. Needless to say, that was the quickest shower I've had on record. I've stayed in Newcastle plenty of times and there is plenty of reasonably priced accommodation available which is like the Ritz in comparison to this dump. This place is a disgrace. I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank hannyb82
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Greeting by woman owner shouting at us not to let the dogs out! ( guess they were running for freedom)! Smell in reception horrid, dusty place.Room for four of us - never seen a hoover, or wiping of furniture/paintwork. Bathroom just about passable - no soap in dispensers. . The most disgusting chair on landing - looked like every excrement possible staining it. The beds.........! oh my god - unclean linen - stained, hairs, bugs - thankfully we spotted this and raided linen room on return from night out and took lots of clean looking sheets to cover pillows and quilts. Breakfast was suprisingly ok. Strange staff - makes Faulty Towers look like the Hilton!!!! Heard owner boasting of recent refurbishments (she must be on magic mushrooms!). But we had a fab weekend in Newcastle -loved it - will definately go back but wont be difficult to find a better place to stay. If you are booked here - ASK TO CHECK YOUR ROOM BEFORE YOU PAY - WHICH YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR WITHIN 30 SECONDS OF ENTERING THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: book somewhere else