“Unbelievable”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Shipley, United Kingdom
“Unbelievable”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was the dirtiest most disgusting place I have ever stayed in, ok it was cheap but there is a very good reason, its disgusting, my son and I had a twin room and didn't even dare get into the stained beds, we actually slept fully dressed and put our coats over the dirty stained pillows.
The cutlery at breakfast was crusted in filth.
People in Newcastle laughed when we told them were we were staying.
DO NOT STAY HERE EVER

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
SKALA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was the dirtiest place we have ever stayed in.You could have grown potatoes in the dirt around the bottom of the shower door, the bath mat would have been better in the garden,the tea and coffee tray should have been binned and it was thick with sugar. The bed was clean enough but the electric to the tv was through an electric extension. There were two ladies running the place they were ok,. There werent any other rooms as they were booked up. The breakfast conservatory was abysmal and full of cobwebs and the breakfast was poor. When we came in after our show there was no one in the hotel to serve us a drink it was only 10.15 . It was a complete waste of money and we were glad to leave and pleased it was only for 1 NIGHT.

Room Tip: Sorry no good rooms!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Gateshead hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I can not begin to tell you how disgusted and horrified I was with this hotel. Please do not ever book here. My mum booked this for two nights and looking back I am not sure where to begin with this rather disjointed review of this hotel. Which isn't even a hotel, it's a B&B.

Upon arriving to this hotel you have to travel through a run down and filthy industrial estate, the building lives up to expectations of the surrounding area by being next to various warehouse units, spiked fencing and derelict over grown land. But still you hope for the best and enter inside.
Ignoring the reception and stair way decor, complete with a lower than average and dangeriously wobbly banister we went to our respected rooms. How we were shocked with the surprise inside, it was worse than the nieghbourhood!
There was chewing gum stains on the floor, stained bedding, dust thicker than the over grown land outside. Crumbs and large chunks of food hadn't even been hoovered up, I don't even know the last time this place saw any cleaning action. And that's not forgetting the outdated, run down and worn decor.
The radio had panels missing and cables exposed, not all the lights worked (my dad received an electric shock from a light switch in his room) and goodness knows how a building/safety inspector gave a pass mark, providing he hasn't already been taken away due to the previous mentioned issues, as the provided hair dryer is located over the bath and under where the shower would be. If you can call a plug hose a shower?

Unsurpsingly we left after booking an other hotel, the guy there didn't even put up a fight. I suspect this has happened many times before.

I know this has been a rather brief revue and not going into the finner details, trust me I don't want to remember let alone try and get you guys to imagine it, but hopefully you've made the decision that you won't decide to judge for yourself and take the risk.

Room Tip: Book anywhere but here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

After searching for hours to find a hotel that was near enough to newcastle city centre, cheap and with either twin/single beds, this is the hotel we went with.The first thing you notice about this hotel is that it's in the middle of an industrial estate. We arrived at around 3pm, check in isn't available till 4pm and the hotel door was locked. There is a pub 2mins walk from hotel so we went there for a couple of drinks to pass time.
The hotel it's self is rather old fashioned but then it serves it's purpose, if you just want a no thrills bed for the night then this hotel is spot on. We got a taxi to The Gate in Newcastle centre which cost us £8. The lady that checked us in told us she would allow us an extra hour in morning to check out, because she knew we would be hungover which was good. If you are wanting luxury I would give this hotel a miss but as a group of 8 lads wanting a nyt out in Newcastle it was fine. There is free off road parking behind the hotel

• Stayed July 2012
United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Myself and 3 other lads have just spent a night in the rowers to have a night on the toon. The hotel I have stayed in previously was full and finding a couple of twin rooms for Saturday the 3rd Dec was starting to get troublesome until I found the rowers. I read reviews and they were pretty poor in all fairness, but being desperate I booked two twin rooms and warned the lads that it maybe a dive but its not a bad price and its only somewhere to lay the head. How pleasantly surprised I was as I was expecting the worse. the rooms were clean, ok on the smallside but clean. The staff were friendly and the night out was banging lol. Check out was 10 in the morning which was slightly early after getting in at 3am, we woke at 9.30am and thought we was too late for breakfast, we got our things together went downstairs and asked if we had missed breakfast. The lady serving couldnt help enough and served us all with plenty. We all agreed that we would stay there again, nice and cheap and close to town!! So dont listen to reviews, remember its a 2 star for a reason which reflects in the price!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaydablade
Lincoln
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were attending an event in Newcastle and trying to find rooms was becoming difficult. We were informed of this place and booked a single and a twin room. The rooms are all designed on ships cabins with wooden panelling. It is conveniently placed very close to the Metrocentre and a short taxi ride into Newcastle.
We enjoyed our overnight stay and the breakfast was great, cereals, toast, full english and fruit juice. The staff were warm and friendly.
The hotel could do with a touch up and a lick of paint/varnish!

Room Tip: Room 7 is a good twin room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Not a bad hotel but not a good one either!

Yesterday myself and my girlfriend spent the night here along with 2 other couples we are friends with. I'm a bit of a tight wad so I chose this based on the fact that it was the cheapest one I could find.... this is solid proof that you get what you pay for!

The first thing I noticed as we pulled up was that it was situated on what looked like an industrial park and it certainly wasn't easy to spot! It was only 5 minutes away (in a taxi) from Newcastle town centre though which is a plus point and the staff/owners were very friendly and helpful. They had a small bar with lager on draught too which is always a welcome addition.

The rooms were small and very old fashioned; we all joked about how we were staying on the Titanic with Captain Birdseye as the rooms very much resembled cabins on a boat! I was disappointed with the beds as they didn't have proper mattresses but more like thick padding and they were kind of built into the wall which wasn't good as me and my girlfriend were expecting to be able to push the beds together (they only had twin rooms left). The door locks weren't very clever either; we had to turn the key loads of times and try and guess when it was unlocked and if the door didn't open we had to keep turning the key, a real annoyance if you're bursting for a wee and can't get in the room!

We didn't use the bathroom too much as I had a shower before we set off but I noticed that the bath was dirty really old. There was a shower head attached to the taps but there wasn't a fitting on the wall for it!

The next morning we came down for breakfast and the seating area was freezing cold; the staff had 2 small heaters plugged in trying to heat up the room. The breakfast wasn't much good either, the sausage and bacon was very dark and tasted like it was microwaved!

All in all the hotel was average. The staff were nice, location good and it was cheap but it was let down by old fashioned, crap beds without proper mattresses, a lack of a proper shower and a crap breakfast.

Room Tip: Go for a double bed room. One of the other couples with us had a double bed room and it was consider...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple