“Jurys inn-Gateshead lovely New Years Stay”

Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
GreenLeadersSilver level
durham
“Jurys inn-Gateshead lovely New Years Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We paid an extra £20 for a river view and it was well worth it! Lovely hotel, friendly staff and very enjoyable breakfast. Just a short walk from the Newcastle Quayside, would stay here again without a doubt!!

Room Tip: Room 227, gorg view and large room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Good price and location (near Mil Bridge so you're soon on the right side of the river). Decent room, hot powerful shower.

Just a couple of things:
- Towels are really rough and thin. Take your own
- They do the wifi rip off (so 90s!) - take your dongle
- The car park is tiny. When I was there loads of people had to park on the street - and then shift their car by 8am the next day or risk a ticket
- I got done a bit at check-in - £10 extra for a river view,sir? - ok - oh - its not a river facing room, its a side room looking over the flour mill car park but, yes, if i bend my head I suppose I can see the river. Don't bother - save your money

Room Tip: Be careful if you pay £10 extra for a "river view" - my "river view" was questio...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband recently on a Saturday night near Christmas. The car park was already full and we weren't too pleased at the price of the nearest other car park (£1 an hour), and when we arrived at reception we found out our reservation booked back in July through laterooms hadn't come through to the hotel. So it wasn't the best start, however the lady on reception was lovely and sorted us a room as quickly as possible, she also threw in a complementary breakfast for us both in way of apology for the inconvenience which we were delighted about. We also had a lovely room with a river view, again I think this was complementary as we had not paid to upgrade. I would definitely pay though to upgrade if we stay again, as the view across the river from the huge window was great. It felt almost like we were floating on the water on a river cruise. The hotel was the perfect location for us for Newcastle city centre, we have stayed in several more central hotels and found them to be very noisy, and the walk up into town doesn't take long and was quite pleasant (took about 20 minutes to walk to Haymarket). We had one drink in the hotel bar when we returned after our concert which was fine, if a bit pricey. Our room was on the end of a corridor so not too bad but there isn't much soundproofing so did hear people in the corridor outside. The room was spotless and comfortable, bed a bit hard for my liking but perfect for my husband apparently! The bar menu looked nice so I think next time we stay we would eat there on an evening but make it a mid-week stay as yes, Newcastle has a lot of stag and hen parties and people just out to get drunk. But of all the hotels I have stayed in in Newcastle this is the first one I am confident I would book again. I think for 3 star and reasonably priced the standard is very good. Breakfast was spot on, the staff worked hard to seat guests quickly and keep the buffet topped up. Great black pudding! Thank you also to the lovely lady who upgraded us to bed and breakfast, this was very much appreciated and we will return. Would be great to get a car park spot next time though, can't understand how it was full by 3.15 when check in was only 3!

• Stayed December 2012
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed as acouple for 3 nights - December 18, 19 20.Check in friendly and efficient. Nice location on the quayside. We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the Tyne and part of the Millenium Bridge. Room clean and very comfortable bed. As other guests have mentioned the only drawback is the small car park which quickly fills up. It is only £5 a night which in these rip-off days I feel is reasonable. Decent choice at breakfast - fry-up for those who want it, healthier choice for others. For those who can't face the mainly uphill walk into Newcastle city centre there is a frequent bus service from the quayside - every 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor with a riverside view
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed there for a night. Got the river view room for £10 quid extra, after reading one of the reviews here and it was worth it. Parking is an issue, if hotel parking is full. If you arrive after 6 PM and leave before 8 am, parking is free on the roadside in front of hotel. There is ample space. Outside of those times, the public car park in front of hotel charges £1 per hour and another car park just down the road charges £5.80 all day. Room was modern and good. Even though we stayed Friday night, there wasn't any party noise, may be this was upto luck. I would recommend this hotel. We booked through last minute.com for about £40 for double room.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Checked in quickly and smoothly on Tuesday night. Arrived at the superior room, had a great view of millennium bridge. The room was quite basic yet fulfilled my needs. The room was absolutely freezing and I couldn't find instructions on how to operate heating. I called reception who sent someone to look at it, didn't work so I called again and they returned with a portable heater for the rest of my stay. I then decided i would order some room service since I had work to complete. They do not offer room service, only a tray service offering a replica of the restaurant menu. I went for the Brie starter, set loin steak and desert. The food was very good indeed, however I don't understand why it can't be delivered to the room? You feel a bit embarrassed taking a huge tray up in the lifts! Breakfast was good, quick and simple self service. I ate in the restaurant the following two nights, had the same meal as the menu is quite limited. On the last night my steak was far to rare and I had to leave it. The service was consistently good and efficient.

I asked to leave a parcel behind the desk for collection which the hotel were fine with, however asking for some Sellotape to seal the box was far too much to ask it would seem.

Overall a reasonable experience, however if staff were empowered to serve guests the way they could be e.g bringing room service trays to the room, and helping with simple guest requests I think I would have had a 'good' rather than 'average' stay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Tom S
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Nice location on the Quayside allows you a lovely walk into Newcastle city centre. Could see the millennium bridge change colour at night from my room on one stay and watched the Olympic flame arrive in Newcastle ceremony from one room on another stay. Rooms are what you expect from Jury's, simple but very clean. The staff at this one are more friendly than the Newcastle Jury's inn and not as noisy at the weekend with the stag and hen night brigade. Great breakfast. Slept well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Finster186258
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Jurys Inn Newcastle
Malmaison Newcastle
#15 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,168 reviews
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre

Been to Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays? Share your experiences!